FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Opening Crash

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick bryan
Sony Vegas Opening Crash
on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:09:55 pm

Hello
I've been working on a project in sony vegas and every time I open it, it works for a few seconds and then I get this error

Extra Information
File: C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\dx_video_grovel_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\svfx_video_grovel_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\ocio_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\dx_grovel_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\vst_grovel.log
File: C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\gpu_video_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Patrick\Videos\sly 4 after.veg

Problem Description
Application Name: Vegas Pro
Application Version: Version 12.0 (Build 770) 64-bit
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xccccfffe)
Fault Module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Address: 0x00007FF8B5248B9C
Fault Offset: 0x0000000000008B9C

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:\Program Files\Sony OLD\Vegas Pro 12.0\vegas120.exe
Process Version: Version 12.0 (Build 770) 64-bit
Process Description: Vegas Pro
Process Image Date: 2013-11-20 (Wed Nov 20) 20:45:00

Can someone please help me out?

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Sony Vegas Opening Crash
on Sep 8, 2015 at 11:50:46 pm

I would try renaming the veg file in Windows. Then replace it with the veg backup file. If that doesn't work, search the forum for "unmanaged exception". Steve Mann used to post the procedure for dealing with an unmanaged exception fairly frequently.

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 9, 2015 at 12:01:38 am

Yep, nothing changed when I did so. And when I searched in here there was a lot of results. is there a forum in particular that can help?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 9, 2015 at 12:28:34 am

A few questions. Does it only crash on this one particular project or crash in general? Have you done a reset of Vegas setting it back to all its defaults? (Hold down Ctrl-shift and then double-click on Vegas icon. You'll get a box asking you if you want to reset.). Have you disabled your GPU? Open go to video preferences and disable and restart. Might be worth a try. If it only does this on the one project, you might open another instance of Vegas and begin copying assets from the "bad" project to the new project? As always, screen shots of your timeline would be useful.

wwaag

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 9, 2015 at 12:36:21 am

It seems to crash in general. I though the veg file was corrupt so I redited the video and it was fine, but the next day I open it and now it keeps crashing over and over, even when I leave it alone. I did try unintsalling and reinstalling vegas but I dont know how to reset vegas at all or how to disable GPU

This is what it looked like when It crashed

this is what the timeline looks like

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:05:36 am

but I dont know how to reset vegas at all

Reread my post. It gives exact instructions.

or how to disable GPU

Go to options. Select Preferences. Select the Video Tab. The 3rd line says GPU acceleration of video processing. Just select Off.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:09:14 am

should I check the box?

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:29:33 am

I also have some new blue effects installed so would those have an effect on this?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:52:51 am

should I check the box?

I'd say yes. If you've already un-installed and then re-installed Vegas this may not have an effect anyway.

I also have some new blue effects installed so would those have an effect on this?

I don't have any installed, so I really can't tell you except that there have been quite a few threads both here and on the Sony Vegas Pro forum of members complaining of problems with New Blue. I'd say un-install and see if it makes a difference. You can always re-install.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 9, 2015 at 3:06:25 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:34:30 am

What I can see is that your Project doesn't match your media. Why? I try and get my Project match the majority of my Media.

I also think you have reached some kind of memory choke. Here I see your Timeline images are not redrawn:

What size/MBs of stills or whatever they are, are you using? TIFFs? For sure "something" is choking Vegas, added to which your settings could benefit from being reviewed too.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 9, 2015 at 3:12:44 pm
Last Edited By Patrick bryan on Sep 9, 2015 at 7:23:28 pm

I mean my project settings have been like this for years so I don't think that's the case, so I'm guessing it's either a memory choke, a file in sony vegas, or the new blue effects I have. What would be the best steps of action from here? If it's memory my PC is currently having 1280MB of Ram max is 8GB and the recommend it says is 4578. What settings should I chnage to?

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 9, 2015 at 10:46:41 pm

So update on the situation, still no luck, I changed memory limit on my computer and nothing happen, It seems to be with this project in particular even when I re-edit from scratch I get the same result

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 9, 2015 at 11:03:50 pm

[Patrick]

It seems to be with this project in particular even when I re-edit from scratch I get the same result

You need to start over and provide more detailed information in the way of screenshots. Project settings, media properties, and render settings. E.g. you have yet provided no information on the media you're using. E.g. there have been a number of recent threads reporting problems with Bandicam files. Here are some examples.

Project settings:

Media Properties:

And finally, render settings.

These are the basic building blocks. Also indicate what Fx, if any, that are being applied. You mentioned New Blue--are you using it? The more specifics you can provide, the more likely someone will be able to assist you.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 10, 2015 at 12:05:23 am

Project settings

s far as new blue effects, I have used film effect with the black and white setting on 2 clips and I'm not sure if that is causing the crash or not. And majority of the files in the project are MP4

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 10, 2015 at 12:54:30 am

Thanks Patrick.

Two items I'd focus on:

1] In your Project Settings Properties, uncheck "Adjust source media to better match....."

2] What is inside your MP4 Media? Get the MediaInfo freebie and have it analyse your MP4.

You say the majority of the Media, what else besides the MP4?

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 10, 2015 at 1:42:33 am

what's the mediainfo freebie?
The others are JPEG, PNG, and then MTG2 file but sony vegas kept crashing before I put that file in

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 10, 2015 at 1:56:07 am

MediaInfo is a free software utility that provides us with the information inside the Media Wrapper. Google "MediaInfo" leaving off the quote marks.

On your second point: Whether Vegas crashes before or after the introduction of a certain media is irrelevant to where we are now, we are trying to help you to identify just what is choking Vegas.

At this point I am tempted that you start a NEW VP Project; build up with stable Media and move forward that way. Meaning, try to establish that you can create a working Project - from new.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 10, 2015 at 2:26:22 am

Okay media info couldn't read my files at all, it kept crahsing so I'm not sure what to do there. And I tried putting everything into a new sony vegas file and re-editing it, and the same thing happend. I also did try the check mark on the media and same problem as before. (I'm trying to fix this as hard as I can because this is my next big project and I want to get this done, any other video I edit I have no problem, it's only this one

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 10, 2015 at 2:51:42 am

Okay media info couldn't read my files at all, it kept crahsing so I'm not sure what to do there.

If MediaInfo crashes when attempting to read only the header information in your media files, this suggests that your files are definitely corrupted. In that case, your only hope in salvaging those files would be to find some conversion application that could hopefully read them and convert them to a usable file, although in all honesty, this seems a bit unlikely. How about posting one of these files to Dropbox or something so that other members might have a go at helping you to read and/or convert them.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 10, 2015 at 2:54:44 am
Last Edited By Patrick bryan on Sep 10, 2015 at 3:01:52 am

I do have freemake video convertor, maybe I can take my clips, put them in there and try that? I remember that working on some files before

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 10, 2015 at 3:50:18 pm

Try it. At this point, you don't seem to have a lot of lose. Like I said, it would be helpful if you could post a short file so that you could confirm that it indeed is a file problem. If others experience the same problem, then you know your media are corrupted. Alternatively, do you have another system available that you could try using?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 11, 2015 at 1:25:08 am

I'm still converting the files and seeing if that works, and I can confirm it's not the ffects as I removed them and it crashed anyway. Im not sure if I can post the file here as each clip is pretty long on its own. I guess to readress my original problem. I could edit it just fine the day before, but I saved the project and then after it kept crashing over and over, even when I re-edited the project from scratch

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:16:16 am

I could edit it just fine the day before, but I saved the project and then after it kept crashing over and over, even when I re-edited the project from scratch

Then, try a system restore to the day that it was working fine. Perhaps an update led to the problem? That does happen. Hopefully, your project and data are on a drive different from your system drive.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:43:34 am

[Wayne Waag] "
Then, try a system restore to the day that it was working fine. Perhaps an update led to the problem?"
I agree.

Patrick you still have NOT stated size and type of files. You say the files are too big. If that is the case what can be so big=MBs=GBs with a 6 second media file?

Grazie

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 11, 2015 at 11:40:25 am

Okay I tried converting the files and it did nothing to resolve the problem. The clips range from 415MB to 12GB I've had files this big before and ran into no problem, so I'm confused. and I have tried to system restore and it did nothing to resolve the issue

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 11, 2015 at 12:09:16 pm

[Patrick bryan] "The clips range from 415MB to 12GB I've had files this big before and ran into no problem, so I'm confused."
Am I to surmise that you have a SIX second Event that is 450mb? Yes? There is no way that I would be editing with this type of overhead. It is sounding that you've got uncompressed Media in those Events.

If it was working before and now it isn't then I can only further surmise that somehow, SOMEHOW you've set up a method to supplant editable files with uneditable/high-overhead files. Can you determine the size of those Events I am looking at?

Again, Patrick, you do have something choking Vegas. You need to keep drilling down to discover just what and where it is.

Do start with a NEW Project with plain vanilla footage. You could even make a Project out Generated SONY Media and test and re-test.

As much as you keep saying it was working before, I and others will keep pushing you to keep determining just what it is that is choking Vegas.

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 11, 2015 at 12:12:49 pm

Okay, I think we're not communicating correctly, I was talking about the file sizes where I'm getting the clips from. Each clip in my video is very short. Do you think I should try not making as many fast edits in the video?

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 12, 2015 at 4:22:12 pm

I still haven't found the exact file trying to crash and I'm not sure if it's I'm making cuts to close to one another or something

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 13, 2015 at 1:36:43 am

Those kind of issues are hard to trouble shoot and could be due to a number of things.

You seem to be using some free video converter. Why when you have access to Vegas Pro?

You were saying your system has 1280MB of RAM? Does this refer to the RAM preview setting or amount of system RAM? If this is Preview Ram, set it to the default 200MB.

You need to give us an idea of what camera source media is from, or media types on the timeline.

I would try the following to attempt to clean up your system:

Uninstall any and all freeware image editing applications, codec packs, or video converters.

Uninstall all old software or trails you are not using.

Uninstall AV software that is different from MS essentials or the integrated Win8-Win10 AV software.

Apply all windows updates. reboot

Download an ISO of MEMTEST86+ from http://www.memtest.org/ and create a CD/DVD or USB drive, boot to it and verify your memory.

Check your windows system event logs for physical Disk Errors and resolve if any are found. Run windows check disk on boot and media drives and look for errors. Also check for "Found000" type of folders on your Boot and media drives. Disk errors and Found000 folders indicate failing controllers or media.

Run Malwarebytes, Scan and cleanup. Reboot and rescan if anything is found and cleaned.

CCleaner - run the core cleaner, then reg clean, disable any startup processes you do not need or were not uninstalled from other apps. Reboot.

Right click on your windows boot drive > Properties > Windows Disk Sweeper - enable the "clean Windows System Files" clear all the windows update restore files. Reboot and check for Windows Updates, reboot after any updates.

If after all that disk, memory verification and cleanup, Vegas still fails at the same place, you need to start removing media from the timeline until you can find the offending corruption.

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 13, 2015 at 12:14:25 pm
Last Edited By Patrick bryan on Sep 13, 2015 at 12:20:51 pm

okay for my ram I can set a max and a min. What should I set them to?(and the number from before is the defult what the ram was set to. I have 8 GB of ram and the recommended is 4578MB in the menu. The media is from a happauge game capture HD. Recorded in 720p 60fps ts. . I'll check around my computer and see what else i can uninstall that I dont use

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 13, 2015 at 4:21:27 pm

Okay I tested it, I don't think there is a corrupted file in the project, because I moved each to a different folder to see if one was crashing it and left them online and sony vegas still crashed

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 13, 2015 at 4:39:09 pm

[Patrick bryan] " because I moved each to a different folder to see if one was crashing it and left them online and sony vegas still crashed"
I don't understand your logic? Please explain?

Grazie

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 13, 2015 at 4:58:40 pm

To see if it was a file corrupting the project, I moved the video files to a different folder so that they wouldn't show up in sony vegas when it loaded the project, I did with these each media individually to see if one file was crashing the program, regardless of the files, the program crashed each time

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 13, 2015 at 5:09:36 pm

So, you've left the connection to that/those file/s, with Vegas would NOT being able to find it/them and would be showing it as OFF-LINE rather than what you said that they would be ON-LINE. If that is the case then Vegas would have been wanting to access it but you'd removed it from its search. You have introduced yet another false-positive result. Have you actually determined that the files are corrupt or not? ( We appear to be going around in circles...)

Now, have you created a NEW Vegas Project; put in some SONY Generated Media; saved it and tried to reopen it? Have already done that? Have you?

Grazie

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 13, 2015 at 5:13:25 pm

Well the files for sony vegas would not be in the project so It wouldn't be reading them, and yes I have done that and no problem there what so ever

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:34:34 pm

Going into older versions of the project also gets me the same result and it's only with this project, any other project I do in sony vegas works just fine. SO is there a way to tell what file is choking sony vegas?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 14, 2015 at 3:57:50 pm

SO is there a way to tell what file is choking sony vegas?

I would suggest that you re-read some of the suggestions that have already been offered. In my first attempt at providing assistance, I wrote:

If it only does this on the one project, you might open another instance of Vegas and begin copying assets from the "bad" project to the new project?

If you cannot even open the "bad project", then create a new project and begin importing each asset, one at a time, saving and then re-opening. In this way, you should be able to tell which file(s) is(are) corrupted. It may be tedious, but this thread has already been going on for nearly a week to no avail.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:34:36 pm

Okay this is odd, I did what you said, and suddenly no crashes whatsoever..but then again this is what happened before when I tried to re edit the whole thing and then the day after it would start crashing again

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:06:11 pm

Okay this is odd, I did what you said, and suddenly no crashes whatsoever..but then again this is what happened before when I tried to re edit the whole thing and then the day after it would start crashing again

Good. Here's a suggestion. First, save your project. Then do a "Save As" to create another project for your editing. In the event problems arise, you can then easily go back to the original project that was working. Even better would be to do the "Save as" with the option to "copy media" selected using another folder as the destination. In this way, you would insure that the files are not being altered in any way during your editing. Another alternative--if you're worried about tomorrow--just finish tonight. Lol.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:20:42 pm

So do a save as for the original file I was editing on? Because there's no way I can finish this kind of a project in 1 day and I don't want to edit it again and go through the same problem each time

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:51:56 pm

Vegas has no recommended RAM settings, so I am not sure what menu you are referring to.

For future projects, I would highly recommend this process:

Record game footage > Convert game capture files in Vegas to Sony MXF HD XDCAM-EX 1280x720-60p > Edit the XDCAM files in a new project file > Export timeline to either the same XDCAM profile, or Sony AVC Internet 720-60p profile. YouTube will accept XDCAM files directly, no need to convert to mp4.

The game capture recorder might not be creating compliant video files, due to them trying to keep costs down. Using an intermediate format can help you have a more stable experience.

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 15, 2015 at 11:45:37 am

For RAM I meant on my computer in general and would that have an effect here

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:52:55 pm

So do a save as for the original file I was editing on?

Yes. Do a "save as" on the Vegas file that is now working, preferably copying all of the source media. In that way, you can always revert back, if things go awry during your editing. An even better solution for this type of problem in the future is to use a product such as Vegasaur. You can automatically do a project backup, say every five minutes or whatever length of time you choose.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 15, 2015 at 11:47:01 am

Wait, so re-edit it again? Sorry but that isn't going to help, I've already done that 3 times and I'm not about to do it again as we'll get to the same situation were in right now. We need to figure out how to get the file to work that I've been editing in

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 15, 2015 at 3:36:40 pm

Have you tried what Aaron recommended? Simply import all of your files into Vegas and then batch render them to an intermediate such as Sony MXF HD XDCAM-EX 1280x720-60p. Once rendered, do a batch replace of the files in your edited project that is giving you problems. At least you would know the files are acceptable to Vegas.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:20:40 pm

Can you walk me through this step by step, I don't remember doing this before and illg vie the results

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:58:25 pm

First, how many files do you have in your project?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:09:18 pm

Around 32 different files

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 15, 2015 at 9:49:39 pm

I take it that you don't have Vegasaur. If you did, it would be a very simple process. I believe they still offer a 30 day free trial, so you might consider that. If not, I suggest you simply do it one file at a time. It may not be the fastest, but it is the safest and doesn't require scripting. Import your first file into a new instance of Vegas. Then render to the same file name using the render template suggested by Aaron. Then open your "bad" project and replace the first file with the one you just rendered. They will have the same name, but the extensions will be different. Repeat the process for the remainder of your files. This is not the most elegant way to do it, but it is simple and will work. If you can successfully do this for all of your files, then you at least know that corrupted files are not the issue. An alternative would be to transcode your files using 3rd party software to an avi using a lossless codec such as Lagarith. You can search the tools section on Videohelp.com.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 15, 2015 at 10:29:14 pm

If I were to download Vegasaur what then would I do?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 16, 2015 at 1:41:02 am

Install it and take some time learning to use it. I can give you an outline of the steps required, but you will need to learn exactly how to do it. It's not difficult, but it does require some time on your part.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 16, 2015 at 12:42:04 pm

ALright, let's get started!

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 16, 2015 at 5:05:54 pm

OK here are the steps using Vegasaur.
1. Open new project, drag all of your clips onto the timeline, and then save.
2. I'd Suggest you add the Vegasaur icon to the Toolbar. Otherwise, it can be found under View|Extensions.
3. To get started, Select all events on the timeline.
4. Select Vegasaur|Timeline|Markers. Under the Create tab, Type:Region, Label:Active Take Name, Radio button: At Events. Then Apply. You will see regions created around each event with the name of the event.
5. Now the transcoding. Select Vegasaur|Render|Transcoder. Window should be blank. Select Add. Under Source Tab, right-click inside window and select Regions. You'll see the regions corresponding to the files. Make sure you click on the little box at the top with check mark which will select all the regions. Then OK. Move to Renderers Tab, select green plus button which will bring up the renders dialog. Select your template--the one suggested by Aaron seems fine. Finally move to the output tab and select an output folder and hit OK. You will now see all the events to be transcoded, along with renderer and template and status being "queued". At the top select Render and the transcoding will begin.
6. And finally, batch replacement. I would first test this on the project from which you did the transcoding. Select Vegasaur|Render|Replace Media. If you don't see the Source and Target extensions already included when you scroll down, you'll have to Add them using the center boxes and the Green + button. Make sure they are selected (source and target extensins will be blue). Then check the Folder option and Select the folder containing your transcoded files. Then OK and you should see the files that have been replaced. If you bring up the batch replacement window again you can restore back to the original media.
7. Once you've verified that it works, open the original project and do a batch replacement.

I would first test this procedure using some audio files that will render quickly. E.g. transcoding wav to mp3. Once you're comfortable with the process, then apply it to you video files in need of transcoding. Again, good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 16, 2015 at 8:24:28 pm

This is what I have and under label there is no active. only base name and timecode and then no label. What should I pick?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 16, 2015 at 8:26:36 pm

You need to select "At Events", not "at cursor". Remember to select all of your events on the timeline first.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 16, 2015 at 8:39:01 pm

Okay now where is this radio option?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 16, 2015 at 9:22:47 pm

Okay now where is this radio option?

The buttons in your image--At cursor, events, at intervals, etc. The round button you simply click on.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:42:12 pm

Okay making sure, do this with every single file from the project?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:04:35 pm

Okay making sure, do this with every single file from the project?

I would. Just let it process all night if necessary. Once the transcoding begins, you can walk away. Let me emphasize once again, that this is no guarantee that your problem will be solved. At least you will know that the media files are completely "acceptable" to Vegas and that they are not the problem.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 17, 2015 at 7:03:34 pm

Is there any way to speed this up, because even one file says it will take 8 hours to do alone, and there are 71 files in here

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 17, 2015 at 7:57:21 pm

If one file says 8 hours to go and there are 71 more files, then obviously this is not going to work. Patrick, a problem we've had with trying to help is that you have not provided information that has been repeatedly requested. To date, no information on media properties. I posted an example very early in this thread. You tried to use Mediainfo, but said it crashed when trying to read information. However, you can read them in Vegas. This doesn't make a lot of sense. A few posts ago, there were 32 files, now 71. You did indicate somewhere what your files were recorded at 720 60P. Transcoding them should not take that much time, unless they are extremely long or your computer is really slow. At this point, we really have no solid idea about your project because of your reluctance at providing some very basic information. I suggested that you might upload a sample file so that others could have a look at it to confirm there is a problem with the files. At this point, perhaps the best thing for you is to just start over, making sure that you backup your project along the way so that you can revert to a previous version if a problem arises. Perhaps someone else can suggest a better alternative.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 17, 2015 at 8:06:23 pm

That's the problem. Restarting it put me in the same situation I'm in right now. And the cycle just continues over and over as I tried to edit it again from scratch and same result. But sample file do you mean the .veg file?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 17, 2015 at 8:45:45 pm

No, Patrick, not the Veg. You've been talking about files that would take 8 hours, that is the file being asked for. You can't RENDER a Veg file. The Veg file is the actual Vegas project, please tell me you know this? Please?

If I didn't know any better, I still think you are honestly in trouble, I'd start to believe you are obfuscating for no particular purpose at all.

We are now well on our way to 70 posts here, would you make all attempts to supply one of the smallest Media files? It has been asked for more than once.

Best regards

G

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 17, 2015 at 8:49:55 pm

You guys keep saying send the file. But you aren't telling me which one. I've been trying to fix this issue for over a month on my end and I've tried every solution I can find. So just say it flat out step by step at this point because we aren't communicating correctly

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 17, 2015 at 8:57:31 pm

Really?

When I use my camera and shoot a 30 second piece and use that in Vegas it is that 30 second shot film file im talking about. Now, what are the files YOU'VE used.

G

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:00:04 pm

I haved files recorded from my happauge pro 2. They are ts. files that are around 30mins to an hour and 30 long. There is a wav file of audio, PNG pictures, and MP4 files of short clips

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:02:51 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:04:48 pm

So just say it flat out step by step at this point because we aren't communicating correctly

I don't know how much more clearly it can be stated in Graham's post!

would you make all attempts to supply one of the smallest Media files?

Take your smallest media files (your ts and mp4 files) and upload them to Dropbox or something equivalent so that we can download it onto our computer and try and help. It can't get any simpler.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:10:23 pm

Patrick, please follow Waggie's request.

G

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:25:26 pm

Good, now a ts file. Right off the bat, I can see one problem with your 2 files, one is PAL at 25 fps and the other is NTSC at 29.97 fps.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:27:03 pm

These 2 were files I downloaded from youtube for a project. But most of the footage for the project is in NTSC 60fps

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:24:26 am

https://www.mediafire.com/?3l8763old75f3d2 Here's a .ts video

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 18, 2015 at 3:30:59 am

Good. Downloaded your ts file and I think that is your problem. According to Mediainfo and what you say, it is NTSC 59.94 fps. However, when imported into Vegas, it shows as 119.88 fps or double the frame rate. Can you confirm this? Hopefully, Graham will also download and have a look, since he is really the expert in these matters. If indeed Vegas thinks its 120 fps, this may explain why the long transcoding. Perhaps we can find another way of transcoding--Vegas is definitely not the way to do it. Just tried TSMuxer which simply remuxes and not transcodes (very fast). The video is now correct, but Vegas doesn't like the audio. Regardless, it seems there is little doubt that your ts files are the problem. I'll try some other software that I have.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 18, 2015 at 5:07:48 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Sep 18, 2015 at 7:01:27 am

[Wayne Waag] " Hopefully, Graham will also download and have a look, since he is really the expert in these matters."
I'm not at all! - I shoot and edit. Downloading and including high framerate is well above my Pay-Grade - lol . . . .
I went to the DL site but shied away from all that extraneous "look at me" adverts and doohickeys. So no DL from me. But YES, if the TS is 120fps and your Project is still set at 60FPS:

Then something is gonna break. Also, Waggie, is that Audio stream having an AC3 component?

Read and Weep . . . : On much, MUCH further, deeper exploration of this Happuage PVR Capture device and resultant/subsequent Media, read this and weep . . . Do take note of the possibility of VARIABLE Framerates. I've never heard of such a thing. It's over on the PP Cow Site and very well could be indicating a catastrophic Q&A issue:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/944045

As you say, the TS is most likely the culprit - I'd like to hear from Patrick what happens when ALL the TS stuff is removed from project, or that he ONLY creates a VEG with the non-TS stuff in it?

And here is my research. It throws up much chatter about TS Happauge output:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=PVR+footage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&e...

My thoughts are now with this variable framerate issue coming from the Hap.

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 18, 2015 at 12:05:05 pm

Okay, then where should I go from here? I did record at constant frame rate and it said 60fps before so this is news to me. And even when I tried to convert the files into a new format, the same issue came up. So what now?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 18, 2015 at 12:58:51 pm

You've got 2 people saying it isn't 60fps, but you're insisting it was recording at 60fps then all that us left us that you weren't recording at 60fps and that your post monitoring is incorrect too.

What you do now is follow Aaron's direction and see how far you get.

H

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:36:31 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:38:38 am

I downloaded the .TS file and had the same issue as the rest of you, that being Vegas seeing the HP recording.TS as 100+FPS.

FFPLAY played the file back just fine, but I was having a hard time getting the file to re-encode via FFMPEG to and .MOV, AVI or .MXF that would play in Vegas.

Using FFMBC and converting the .TS file to XDCAMHD422 worked, and the file loaded into Vegas as normal. FFMBC can be googled and downloaded for free. The Command is as follows:

ffmbc -i "input filename".ts -target xdcamhd422 -an "output filename".mxf -acodec pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -newaudio -acodec pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -newaudio -map_audio_channel 0:1:0:0:1:0 -map_audio_channel 0:1:1:0:2:0

Using FFMPEG I was able to convert to ProRes -Profile 0 (Proxy) which also loaded in to Vegas normally, but with a lot of files you will hit the quicktime limits. That command is:

ffmpeg -i "input filename".ts -vcodec prores -profile 0 -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 "output filename".mov

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 18, 2015 at 1:23:22 pm

Okay So i tried downloading the software, but Can't find the actual program in here. If you can send me your prefered place to download it that would help greatly.
Or is there another program that can do the same thing such FLV converter or something like that?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 18, 2015 at 3:19:01 pm

Finally, a solution that I think will work. You will need to download TMPGEnc's Mastering Works 6. There is a 30 day free trial. Or perhaps, you already version 5. In any case, you can convert to XAVC-S which also converts the audio to PCM. After conversion, it imports just fine into Vegas with the proper frame rate.

Those ts files are really screwy. For one, it seems as if they use mp3 audio. If you import the original file into Vegas, it shows a frame rate of 119 fps and also a duration of 2:04. If you simply demux, the file the audio length is 2:06, although the video is 2:04. The converted file using TMPGEnc shows a frame rate of 59.94 fps and a duration of 2:06. It seems as if the video is using some type of variable frame rate. Regardless, this seems to be a solution that will work.

Patrick. Two things. In the future. First, don't use the Haupaugge PVR if you do your editing in Vegas. Or if you do, convert the files using TMPGEnc or something else before importing. And second, always provide as much detailed info as you can including sample media. Once you finally uploaded the file, it was a relatively short time before a solution was found. It seems that we all wasted a lot of time. But hopefully, your problem is on the way to being solved. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 18, 2015 at 5:40:42 pm

Okay so when these files are done, just move the original files so I can replace them with the new files and see how it works?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 18, 2015 at 5:47:30 pm

Since you have Vegasaur installed, you can do a batch replace. There is also a standalone Batch Replace script available.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 19, 2015 at 1:50:29 am

Okay, The clips are still rendering. So I'll let you know when they're done

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 2:43:15 am

Okay, we've gone 36 hours in at this point and only 14 of the 24 are done....is this normal?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 2:52:04 am

Since I don't know how long your files are or anything about your PC, I have no idea. The ts file you uploaded was 2:06 long and took 1:59 to encode to XAVC-S on my system--a little bit faster than real-time.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 2:36:58 pm

Okay the files are all done. Now how do you preform a batch replace?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 2:42:24 pm

Now how do you preform a batch replace?

Patrick, you need to get in the habit of reading previous posts. I wrote:

6. And finally, batch replacement. I would first test this on the project from which you did the transcoding. Select Vegasaur|Render|Replace Media. If you don't see the Source and Target extensions already included when you scroll down, you'll have to Add them using the center boxes and the Green + button. Make sure they are selected (source and target extensins will be blue). Then check the Folder option and Select the folder containing your transcoded files. Then OK and you should see the files that have been replaced. If you bring up the batch replacement window again you can restore back to the original media.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 3:01:29 pm

I guess what I'm trying to ask is how I tell the program to replace the files itselfs. Because right now it's saying no files are being selected. Also sony vegas is crashing on me before I'm able to really set this into motion

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 3:26:03 pm

Because right now it's saying no files are being selected.

Just to make sure. Your original files have a .ts extension and your transcoded files have a .mp4 extension? The file names are the same except for this. Correct?

Make sure that that your source extension is set to ts and the target extension is set to mp4 and that this pair is selected.

And finally, make sure you select the proper directory where the new files are located.

Also sony vegas is crashing on me before I'm able to really set this into motion

Next time, open your project and try the Batch replace immediately. Does it still crash? If that's the case, here's another way to replace the files. First, move the original files into a new temporary directory. Then start Vegas and open your project. For each of the original files, you will get an error message saying that the file cannot be found. Select the option to replace the file and then navigate to the proper directory and select the transcoded file. You will have to do this for each of the original files since the filenames are not the same. It may take awhile this way, but it is probably the most foolproof way.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 4:08:57 pm

....Nothing changed, the file still crashed like before

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 6:20:49 pm

I assume that the files were properly transcoded and all of the ts files were replaced. Tell me, exactly how did you end up replacing the files? Batch replace with Vegasaur or one at a time?

Can you post a screen shot of all of your project media?

Does Vegas still crash when you simply load the project? If not, what do you do to make it crash? E.g. play the preview, select an event, etc.

Have you removed all of your effects? If not, try this. First make of copy of your project. Then open your project and select all of your events (Ctrl-A). In Vegsaur, Select Effects|Apply/Remove FX. Once the window opens the Clear FX button should be selected. Then hit Apply which will remove all of your video FX. Then test to see if Vegas still crashes having removed all of your FX.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 6:37:28 pm

I ended up replacing them one at a time. and for the project media, its time multiple parts of my computer but it consists of some pictures, mp4, ts videos as mentioned before. A wav audio file and that's it.
In terms of the crashing. it's after the project is fully loaded. It runs fine for a few seconds and then it crashes no mater what I do even if I leave the project doing nothing it crashes. and I tried the effects just now and nothing changed

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 6:58:40 pm

Open your project once again. Don't do anything. Look in the bottom lower left. Do you see something that says Building peaks with a filename when it crashes? If so, remember that file name. That may be your culprit.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 7:05:07 pm

Nope it's not building any peaks. All of them are done apparently

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 7:51:46 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Sep 20, 2015 at 7:53:20 pm

So let's recap a bit.

1. You have replaced all of your ts files with XAVC-S files that have have an mp4 extension?

2. You have removed all of your audio and video event FX and media FX?

3. You have disabled GPU acceleration in your preferences?

4. Vegas works fine on other projects? Only crashes on this project?

5. The project opens, but crashes on its own without any input from you?

If the answer is yes to all of these, I must admit that I'm running out of suggestions, other than simply starting over. I would suggest you begin a new project and first simply import all of the files you just converted. Save and re-open. If that is OK, begin importing other files and repeat the process of saving and re-opening. If you're able to eventually import all of your media without crashing, then it's time to start the editing process, making sure that you are doing backups along the way using the Vegasaur Project Backups function. Somehow your basic project veg file may have become corrupted along the way--another reason for doing continual project backups. Wish I could be of more help. Perhaps someone else could offer some alternatives.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 11:07:57 pm

Yes for all of these. But I got an idea, let me send the file to you and see if it crashes without media on your end.
https://www.mediafire.com/?uc630q3k1cm0s1u
Just keep all media offline

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 11:52:34 pm

Good idea. I downloaded the file and opened it. Aside from being no media, I got this error message indicating plug-ins were not installed on my machine that you used. Here is the screenshot.

So whatever plug-ins you're using, I'd suggest you remove them and try again. In any case, what are they? Newblue title by chance? If so, I'd try completely uninstalling since it has been known to have problems in other threads. I loaded the test.veg file into the same folder as the other mp4 and ts files I had downloaded and they played without incident. So other than the missing plug-ins, the project opens without incident.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 20, 2015 at 11:59:34 pm

Ill try messing around with my transition plug ins. How long does the project stay open. Let it sit for a few mins and see if it crashes

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 21, 2015 at 12:05:50 am

It's been open for over 20 min now--no problems. Like I said, even the weird ts file that shows 119fps plays without incident. Since most of your media are 59.94 fps, you should change your project properties to 59.94 and not 60 fps. Having said that, such an issue would not cause crashing. So exactly, what type of transition plug-ins are you using? First remove them from your project. If still crashing, then uninstall. You can always re-install.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 21, 2015 at 12:22:55 am

I changed it to 59fps and removed transitions as well as uninstalled....no luck at all

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 21, 2015 at 1:11:00 am

Patrick. I have no idea what's going on with your system. You could try resetting Vegas to its defaults, bit I think you may have already tried that (Ctrl-shift, and double click on Vegas icon). As a next step, you could un-install and then re-install Vegas. If that doesn't solve the problem, you could again try entering just one media file at a time. Do you have access to another computer system? Perhaps copy your assets to an external drive and then try it on another computer. Your file has been open on my editing system for a couple of hours now. No problem. What I don't understand is why it crashes with nothing going on. BTW, how long does it take from the time you start till it crashes? Seconds? Minutes? Presumably, no other programs running at the same time. My inclination at this point would be to simply start over with your transcoded media and start adding other media back in. In all honesty, you really don't have all that many media files. One curiosity--why the lone m2ts file?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 21, 2015 at 1:28:48 am

I have tried all you just mentioned and I don't feel like starting from scratch would do anything differently. the lone m2ts file was one part of my video i re-recorded because I thought it was crashing vegas. I know that file isn't the one crashing it

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 21, 2015 at 1:54:24 am

One final question I guess. In your original post as well as the screen shots of the Vegas crash report, the dates are Nov 2013, almost 2 years ago. Has this been going on for that long? Why not a recent screen shot? Just curious. I did try opening in the file in V12 and again, there was no problem. One final suggestion. I would recommend you open a new thread in which you list all the steps that you've taken (e.g. transcoding to XAVC-S, turning off GPU, etc). At this point, no one is going to read through 100+ posts. Perhaps, someone else can take a fresh look. Having done all these things, my suspicion at this point is that there's an issue with your PC--drivers, especially video, up to date? I guess there's always the nuclear option of re-installing your OS, but I for one would be loathe to do that. One thing you might consider doing if you open a new thread is to do a screen recording of you opening vegas, loading your project, doing nothing and then seeing it crash. Just an idea.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Patrick bryan
on Sep 21, 2015 at 1:57:42 am

Okay, I'll do that. And no this was only in the last month. I'll start a new thread with that info. Thanks again for trying to help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]