FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 13 build 453 - Rendering Slow - .mts or .mp4

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Contreras
Vegas Pro 13 build 453 - Rendering Slow - .mts or .mp4
on Sep 7, 2015 at 11:32:57 pm

Hello forum! I'be been using SVP since 9.0 and have received much help from this forum. Today, I decided to subscribe and ask my questions regarding rendering. I've made about 30 family videos over the years and rendering issues have always been an ongoing conversation. It surprises me that there is no definitive answer as to which settings to apply. There are many SVP Rendering issues "solved" videos on YouTube but, it's still try this, try that. So, here are some questions I have after upgrading to the latest build 453 from June 2015. 1.) why does turning off GPU acceleration help render if it's on by default? 2.) Is it better you use original camcorder .mts files or convert first to .mp4 then render? 3.) is it better to render a saved project? [Rendering the workflow seems to freeze if too large.] 4.) what is a good average per size render time; is 1gb/hour good?

My Rig:
Asrock 990FX
AMD Vishera FX6300
Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3 1866 32gb
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
EVGA GT740 4GB

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas Pro 13 build 453 - Rendering Slow - .mts or .mp4
on Sep 8, 2015 at 12:00:09 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Sep 8, 2015 at 12:07:19 am

[Oscar Contreras] "1.) why does turning off GPU acceleration help render if it's on by default?"
There may be several reasons. It cost time to send data to the GPU from the CPU. If your GPU is not very powerful compared to your CPU and the time it takes to send the data, process it, and get it back is longer than it would have taken for the CPU to just calculate it itself, then a GPU can actually slow things down. Also sometimes there are bugs in the GPU code that cause renders to have problems and turning the GPU off bypasses these bugs. Since my CPU and GPU are closely matched, I leave GPU on while rendering unless I encounter a problem that is fixed by turning it off.
[Oscar Contreras] "2.) Is it better you use original camcorder .mts files or convert first to .mp4 then render?"
If you can edit the original files with good playback performance, it's usually better to edit the original camera files. MTS files are AVCHD files which Vegas Pro edits smoothly on most modern computers. I always edit MTS files natively.
[Oscar Contreras] "3.) is it better to render a saved project? [Rendering the workflow seems to freeze if too large.]"
Absolutely! Renders have been known to lock up. Always save your work before you render. Also renders will take on the name of the project by default so if you save and give your project a name first, the render will use the same name without you having to retype it.
[Oscar Contreras] "4.) what is a good average per size render time; is 1gb/hour good? "
The size of a file isn't the only factor in determining quality. The compression used, frame rate, and resolution all play a part in the quality. So it's impossible to answer your question without first knowing what the resolution, frame rate, and codec being used to render is.

BTW, we usually don't measure by the hour. File size is controlled by bitrate and bitrate is measured in mega-bits per second (Mbps). 1GB/hr is 2.2Mbps which is a very low bitrate for HD but might be fine for SD depending on the codec used.
[Oscar Contreras] "My Rig:
Asrock 990FX
AMD Vishera FX6300
Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3 1866 32gb
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
EVGA GT740 4GB"
I would say that your slow rendering is caused by having the wrong computer hardware. AMD is not the best CPU for video work. Intel does a much better job. Also NVIDIA is he not the best card for Vegas Pro work. AMD/ATI does a better job. So you should be using an Intel Core i7 with an AMD Radeon GPU but instead you are using an AMD CPU with an NVIDIA GPU. Like I said, your hardware is not optimized for Vegas Pro.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Oscar Contreras
on Sep 8, 2015 at 1:09:23 am

Thanks John. I've read your many posts over the years and I don't recall exactly reading it so clearly that an AMD CPU and nVidia GPU is not optimal. Although, it's been my configuration all these years. AMD + nVidia. Maybe it's time for an Intel + Radeon.
What's your preference on MoBo?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 8, 2015 at 11:43:26 am

Yea, AMD has been lagging behind Intel for a number of years. Intel 4 cores blow away the AMD 8 cores in video benchmarks. It's really sad because the AMD 2 core was vastly better than Intel's Dual Core but then AMD lost it. They make a great all purpose processor for web surfing and stuff but for heavy video work, Intel rules.
[Oscar Contreras] "What's your preference on MoBo?"
I don't own a PC anymore so I don't have a preference. I'm editing with a 12-Core 2010 Mac Pro these days. When I did build my own PC, I followed the VideoGuys DIY builds. My last build was based on the DIY 9 specs which used the Asus P9X79 Pro mobo. VideoGuys are now up to DIY 11 using the ASUS Z97-Pro mobo although I do see that their DIY 10 used that mobo as their base model and recommended the ASUS Z87-Deluxe/Quad for the top of the line workstation class machine. I trust that this is a good choice because I trust VideoGuys but I no longer have any personal experience with PC parts since I switched to Mac and my Mac Pro has 2 Intel Xeon processors with AMD Radeon HD 7950 GPU so it works well with Vegas Pro.

Be aware that VideoGuys will recommend all NVIDIA GPU because all NLE's besides Vegas Pro work better with NVIDIA. It's only Sony that chose to standardize on OpenCL instead of CUDA (which I think was a good move) so Sony editors need a slightly different build using a Radeon instead. Apple has tuned Final Cut Pro X to use OpenCL as well so a Mac running Windows in Bootcamp is actually a good computer for Vegas Pro. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]