FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making Part of a video track Transparent?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Talha Khalid
Making Part of a video track Transparent?
on Sep 1, 2015 at 3:27:34 pm

Hey guys, I have a image here as you can see and I want to make the logo/letter M transparent in Sony Vegas Pro 13. I want to make the logo transparent to reveal the track underneath and keep the rest of the blue gradient background. Can someone help me out on how I can do this. Thanks

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Making Part of a video track Transparent?
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:07:29 pm

I would use Photoshop. Open the image, make selection of white lettering using magic wand, reverse the selection (Ctrl_Shift_I), then copy. Create a new file (Ctrl-N) making sure the background is Transparent, then Paste. Save as PNG and your're done.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Talha Khalid
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:34:48 pm

I dont think you get the point. There is a video under the logo track and I want only the logo part to become transparent and show the video underneath, like mask it while still keeping the blue background around it. Similar to how transparent text works

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:41:55 pm

Exactly. Just place the new png on the track above, and only the video will be shown in the white portion from the track below. The blue gradient will remain.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Talha Khalid
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:43:11 pm

Ok well do you know how to do that in Gimp because I dont have Photoshop ?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:54:41 pm

I believe this is what you want.

If so, you can download the png I created in Photoshop here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8tn61dz01t108u/eds%202.png?dl=0

Regarding Gimp, I have never used it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Talha Khalid
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:59:55 pm

Thank you so much man! I managed to figure out how to do it in GIMP but thanks anyway, works exactly like I want it too :)

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:09:35 pm

Glad you figured it out in Gimp. Next to Vegas, Photoshop is the almost indispensable piece of software for me--even the $10 a month for the CC subscription seems well worth it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Sep 1, 2015 at 11:56:48 pm

If I were you, I would check into CS6. The last time I checked, Amazon was still selling CS6. When I got it, I got the smallest package that included Photoshop. It saves paying $10/month forever, and there may be a competitor to Adobe if the time comes when you need something more than CS6.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 2, 2015 at 12:19:22 am

[Bob]

If I were you, I would check into CS6. The last time I checked, Amazon was still selling CS6. When I got it, I got the smallest package that included Photoshop. It saves paying $10/month forever, and there may be a competitor to Adobe if the time comes when you need something more than CS6.

That must have been some time ago. Just checked. Three are still available $1699, $1799 and $1949. That would take almost 15 years to break even--I'll be in my mid-80's if I'm still around. Moreover, Adobe has already announced no further support for CS6 after the most recent release of the their Camera Raw plug-in. I have CS5, so I could always revert back if necessary. Plus, I really like some of their new features--especially in their Content-Aware image processing technology. So for me at least, the cost of the subscription is well worth it--pretty much the same as a good six pack of beer or cheap bottle of wine each month.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:16:48 pm

Actually, I upgraded from CS3 to CS6 not too long before Adobe announced they were moving to the cloud, so I did not pay the retail price for CS6 although, as I recall, I thought the price was steep enough. I did, however, skip a few upgrades and expected that they would want a little more money.

My current cameras are already covered by the raw processor in CS6, and I'm still not seeing cameras that might induce me to buy a new one. If I do, Adobe's raw converter to DNG is, so far, free, so I would try that first as a work around. Worst case will be to rent Lightroom to run my raw images through the converter.

$10 a month doesn't sound too bad, but Adobe can increase that any time they want if they get enough people to buy into rental via the cloud. If it works for Adobe, I expect a lot more people to take that route. Microsoft is already trying the same approach with Office. Get enough applications on a rental basis, and pretty soon you are talking real money.

Right now, I have no need to upgrade. If I ever do have a need, I will look first for the competition which I think might develop by that time. I am already hearing about a few alternatives to Adobe.

Return to posts index

Talha Khalid
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:07:23 pm

Thank you so much man! I managed to figure out how to do it in GIMP but thanks anyway, works exactly like I want it too :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]