FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting a mono track to stereo - in same track?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Turnidge
Converting a mono track to stereo - in same track?
on Aug 31, 2015 at 3:43:13 pm

In looking for an answer to this, I found a reference to Vegas 12, but in 13 the menu options are different, and I haven't been able to find what was mentioned...

So, is there a way to make one mono track into a stereo track. So far I am able to create two tracks and make one pan left and the other right. Kinda painful having to work the same changes in two tracks - and then if it gets out of sync, you have more exciting problems...

Also, I have purchased Red Giant Pluraleyes... makes aligning additional audio tracks a breeze. Only downfall I have seen so far is that when you start cleaning up your audio tracks, Pluraleyes looses the ability to use them. So when/if things get out of alignment you get to do it the "old" way...

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
Re: Converting a mono track to stereo - in same track?
on Aug 31, 2015 at 5:20:10 pm

I think I found out something else... I am using a stereo recorder with a mono mic. So the track SHOWS as stereo, even though sound is only on one side. Would that change the way Vegas looks at it?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 12:15:03 am

So, is there a way to make one mono track into a stereo track.

Its very easy in Vegas. Simply select your mono file, enter Ctrl-M (Render to New Track), select the Wave, 48Khz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM template and render. It will create a new stereo track on your timeline. My question--why do you want to do this in the first place? The resulting audio, when rendered, will be the same.

Only downfall I have seen so far is that when you start cleaning up your audio tracks, Pluraleyes looses the ability to use them. So when/if things get out of alignment you get to do it the "old" way...

Once you have synchronized your tracks, you need to Create a Group for them (select your tracks, then enter G). Then, if you move one track, the other will move along with it, so long as Ignore Event Grouping is not selected.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
on Sep 1, 2015 at 12:25:10 pm

My question--why do you want to do this in the first place? The resulting audio, when rendered, will be the same.

Well, this has been a learning process... The recorder I bought was a stereo recorder. The lapel mic I have is a mono mike... so, I had sound in my left ear, but not in my right ear... Was not fun editing...

I have since found that I can set the recorder to mono. I think that will resolve the problem.

Once you have synchronized your tracks, you need to Create a Group for them (select your tracks, then enter G). Then, if you move one track, the other will move along with it, so long as Ignore Event Grouping is not selected.

Yeah, I use grouping a lot, however, for some reason...as I am editing, the grouping doesn't seem to be static. All of a sudden, I find that whether due to splitting or some other reason - the grouping "ungroups" and I am out of alignment. I'm sure it's something that I don't realize that I'm doing - but I get to the place where I'm out of alignment and then, because of other changes to the audio, I can't use Pluraleyes to get lined up again... :-(

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 3:41:17 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Sep 1, 2015 at 7:31:47 pm

Well, this has been a learning process... The recorder I bought was a stereo recorder. The lapel mic I have is a mono mike... so, I had sound in my left ear, but not in my right ear... Was not fun editing...

In the future, if you have a stereo track but only one channel of audio, you can right-click on the event, select channels and then choose which channel you want to use. In essence, you've converted it to a mono track.

I'm sure it's something that I don't realize that I'm doing - but I get to the place where I'm out of alignment

First, make sure that "Ignore Event Grouping" is not selected (Ctrl-Alt-U). There's an icon on the lower tool bar. A more foolproof way of insuring aligngment is to add the second audio as a Take to the original audio. For example, I often use a Zoom recorder. Using Pluraleyes, I sync the Zoom audio event to the corresponding audio event from the camcorder. BTW, if you're using the original version 2, always select the option for "Allow Subframe audio offsets" to insure the best accuracy. Once Pluraleyes has done its magic, I then have a script which will which will add the synchronized audio from the Zoom as a take to the audio track from the original camcorder. Since it's easy to always restore audio sync to the video in the original file, you now have a foolproof way to insuring that the second audio will remain in sync. Now you can split the file, move parts around, etc. and the 2nd audio will always remain synced. If you're interested in trying the script, I'll post it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
on Sep 9, 2015 at 3:13:06 pm

[Wayne Waag] "In the future, if you have a stereo track but only one channel of audio, you can right-click on the event, select channels and then choose which channel you want to use. In essence, you've converted it to a mono track."

Thank you!

[Wayne Waag] "Now you can split the file, move parts around, etc. and the 2nd audio will always remain synced."

Don't think I'm understanding this one... but I would be glad to investigate your script...

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 9, 2015 at 5:40:27 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Sep 9, 2015 at 5:41:55 pm

Don't think I'm understanding this one... but I would be glad to investigate your script...

Here is a very simple example. Suppose I have 3 audio tracks. I want to add the audio from track 3 as a take to track 2 (same as adding external audio to audio track from video), but don't want to include audio from track 1 (e.g. music track).

Just the select the event and run the script "add audio take other track". (Multiple events can be selected).

You'll see that a Take has now been added to track 2 (the audio from track 3). At this point, you can simply delete track 3. You can toggle between the original audio and added audio by simply entering T. At this point you can split, move, etc. the track 2 audio and the take will always be attached in perfect sync. A sub-folder entitled Wave is created in the folder containing the selected audio event. By default, the audio is rendered using the Microsoft (Wave) renderer and the 48Khz, 16 bit, PCM template although this can be changed.

Here is the link to a folder containing the script and an icon if you want to create a Toolbar shortcut.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5zgs0my1yd4kbe8/AADQPGyzJjiv4e-SZTu51f6Oa?dl=0. Just add the files to your script menu folder. I'd try it on some test files just to make sure you know how it works. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Eugene Shevchenko
on Jan 20, 2016 at 7:37:35 am

Looks pretty difficult way. All you need - right click on audio track then choose Channells->Combine. Thats it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]