FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 11 Taking unrealistically long to render a 1 minute video

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Kane
Sony Vegas Pro 11 Taking unrealistically long to render a 1 minute video
on Aug 31, 2015 at 9:02:17 am

I've turned to this forum because I've got nowhere else left to seek help.
I am running Sony Vegas Pro 11 on Windows 7, I've got an AMD V140 2.3ghz processor and 3 gigs of ram. I understand these are incredibly poor specs, but I used to render HD videos in no time on my mid-priced desktop in from 2007.
I have it set to only render through CPU as my GPU isn't anything special, and vegas doesn't pick it up anyways. My issue is I am trying to render a minute and a half-long video into 720p. The clip sources are .mp4 and are 1280x720, the same as my project settings and render settings. I have tried 5 or 6 different render settings, avi, mp4, wmv etc and every time its the exact same outcome: 20 minutes after I start the render, it is still at 0% and it tells me it will take more than 20 hours and its STILL climbing. The video consists of nothing more than the mp4 clips sliced up with some fading in and out and slow motion/sped up effects. There are 3 layers of audio. The exact time of the whole project is 00:01:34. I really don't know what else to try. I used to do this same thing on Vegas 7 with the exact same video quality on a computer with half the power as my current one. There has got to be something I can do to render this video in less than 20+ hours... I just don't understand. ANY help is very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 11 Taking unrealistically long to render a 1 minute video
on Sep 1, 2015 at 12:19:30 am

Even with your system specs, it shouldn't take all that long to render. It sounds as if your system "hangs" before the render actually starts. To help diagnose the problem, you need to provide screenshots of your Project settings, Media Properties, and Render Settings, as well as an screenshot of your timeline. Without such detailed info, we can only guess at best.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 11 Taking unrealistically long to render a 1 minute video
on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:44:50 pm

[Paul Kane] "I am running Sony Vegas Pro 11 on Windows 7, I've got an AMD V140 2.3ghz processor and 3 gigs of ram. I understand these are incredibly poor specs, but I used to render HD videos in no time on my mid-priced desktop in from 2007. "
There are a couple of things wrong with this statement:

(1) The AMD V140 only has 1 core and Sony Vegas Pro 11 requires a minimum of 2 cores so you don't even meet the minim specs for using the software.

(2) The AMD V140 is a laptop chip and a desktop will always outperform a laptop give the same specs so you can't compare a laptop to a desktop, and

(3) The AMD V140 is not Intel based and AMD is not the best CPU for video editing so if your desktop was Intel I would expect it to perform better even if it had worse specs.
[Paul Kane] "I used to do this same thing on Vegas 7 with the exact same video quality on a computer with half the power as my current one. "
Let's understand why you were able to do that:

The minimum specs for Vegas 7 were 800 MHz processor (2.8 GHz recommended for HDV). The minimum specs for Vegas Pro 11 were 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D).

Considering you only have 1 core and you can't possible have a computer with 1/2 a core, your desktop would have to be a single core 1.1 Ghz CPU to be 1/2 as powerful. Since 1.1 Ghz is greater than the 800Mz minimum for Vegas 7 by 20%, your old computer was more than adequate for Vegas 7. Your new computer, however, is grossly under-speced for Vegas Pro 11. How much under? An Intel Core i5 2.3Ghz 2 Core has a PassMask score of 3,162. Your AMD V140 has a Passmark score of only 646! Your computer is underpowered by 500%!!! (i.e., it needs to be 5x more powerful to meet the minimum requirements for using Vegas Pro 11) I'm just trying to get you to realize that your computer is not "slightly" under speed. It's missing the mark by 5x!

Why don't you tell us what the specs of your other computer were so we can accurately compare them.
[Paul Kane] "20 minutes after I start the render, it is still at 0% and it tells me it will take more than 20 hours and its STILL climbing. "
Since your computer doesn't meet the minimum specs, I would try a very simple project. Place your source media on the timeline and render to HD and see how long it takes without any FX or anything. That will give you a baseline of how long it takes to render a project without FX. Then add a effect and try again. This may give you a good understanding of where the problem is (i.e., pure rendering or processing FX).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]