FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renaming & sorting both video clips & stills to date taken

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Renaming & sorting both video clips & stills to date taken
on Aug 30, 2015 at 1:39:04 am

What is the best way to label all of my clips with where they 'were taken' & keep them in the 'Date Taken Sequence'. I keep finding that many programs including Windows always wants to display thumbnails in other meaningless for me me sequences, like take transferred to computer or modified.

We often go on holidays where I have a proper camcorder as well as a portable still camera as well as phones that are capable of shooting 1080 HD. I make a point of setting all cameras to exact same time/date so that if I load all stills & videos taken at the the same place will come up together.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Renaming & sorting both video clips & stills to date taken
on Aug 30, 2015 at 3:09:57 am

It's probably not the best way, but, in Windows Explorer, you can select many files, and give them all the same name by renaming the first one to "where taken" followed by a (1). The rest of the files will be renamed as "where taken(2)", "where taken(3)", and so on. Assuming your camera originally labelled them in order, that order will be retained while you also add the "where" information.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 30, 2015 at 3:17:36 am

Good question. For stills, it's no problem. I've been using a database program called ThumbsPlus for the past ten years or so and it will sort according to pretty much whatever you want including time and date taken, which is very useful if you have photos from multiple sources. I'm pretty sure that Adobe Lightroom will do the same thing and probably others as well.

The problem will be your video clips, for which AFAIK there is no standard Exif info like for photos. Here's what I do that may work for you as well. If you use a Sony or Panasonic camcorder, software is available that will import each clip and rename it with the date time stamp--e.g. 20150815163400. First, import these clips into Vegas, and then export the first frame of each clip with the name of the clip as a jpg. I use Vegasaur which can do this very quickly. In essence, these represent a thumbnail for each video clip. Since each video clip is now represented by a jpg photo, you can easily change "date taken" in the Exif info from the name of the file using freeware called ExifToolGUI. At this point, you could merge your video thumbnails with you photos and easily sort everything according to time taken--photos as well as videos. I guess its a bit kludgy, but it does work and it's actually pretty quick once you've done it a few times. If interested, I could provide further details.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 30, 2015 at 3:56:18 pm

I just use folders.

I have a folder on my NAS called "Photos". Under it are folders labeled "2015", "2014", "2013"... and under that I make a folder for each event like "2015-02-14_Valentines Day", "2015-06-10_Cape Code Vacation", etc. I have no problem finding anything but you do need to know at least the year in which you are looking for something. ;-)

For video I archive the entire memory card in the subfolders. So on my AVCHD camera, there will be an AVCHD folder under "2015-06-10_Cape Code Vacation" with the entire contents of the memory card just waiting to be imported into Vegas Pro at a later time using the Device Explorer (which looks for memory card structures and not files)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
on Aug 30, 2015 at 6:32:30 pm

Since Bob mentioned LightRoom, I just wanted to add I use LightRoom for both stills and video and it renames them and puts them into date related folders. It also has the option to place a backup copy on another drive when importing. I tag the media in LightRoom and then when I am ready to work on a project, I search for the tagged media and export that to a project folder structure for Sony Vegas. I can then use the VASST FASST App Media Tool to load that structure into a Media Bin structure for my Vegas project.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 30, 2015 at 8:03:46 pm

[Mark Burton]

Thanks for the information. I suspected that Lightroom would support this but have never taken the time to learn (IMHO) its dreadful interface. I've only used it for image correction and geo-tagging. My understanding is that Lightroom has more of a Library structure where media can be located almost anywhere, whereas the old version of ThumbsPlus I've been using is based completely on folder structure. At least you can still purchase Lightroom--at least for now.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Aug 30, 2015 at 7:59:54 pm
Last Edited By Angelo Mike on Aug 30, 2015 at 8:01:18 pm

You can just put them in a folder in Windows, click on "Date" at the top to organize them chronologically, and highlight them all. Then right click on the first file you want to rename, change the name, and Windows will automatically add a "(1)" at the end, and will number the rest in order.

Or if you lay them out in Vegas, you can use the Vegasaur extension (http://vegasaur.com/) and there's a function to sort events chronologically on the timeline. But I think doing it in Windows is easier since you can rename them as well there.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 30, 2015 at 9:56:14 pm

My new mantra! You learn SOMETHING every day. I must confess that I did not know that Windows would automatically add the index number. Now, I know.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 30, 2015 at 11:56:28 pm

Then right click on the first file you want to rename, change the name, and Windows will automatically add a "(1)" at the end, and will number the rest in order.

Beware. The problem with this approach is that you lose all the file names. Once you have selected the first file, added (1), and hit enter, the remaining files will have the same name except the changed index number. If you want to rename with an index number, use something like Renamer, where you can sort according to date or whatever, and then add an index number as either or prefix or suffix, so that the base name for each file remains unchanged.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Aug 31, 2015 at 3:02:51 am

When I return from a holiday & am finished shooting I like to view all stills & videos & then just whittle away at the file so as to eliminate all of things I can't possible ever use. You might have tried shooting a scene & someone walks into view that you don't want or you decide that another shot leaves you with what you had wanted & that the other ones are superfluous. I do this so that there are fewer pieces that you have to end up sorting into a video project. All of these remaining stills & videos are the ones I wish to keep & since they were all taken with synchronized times anything taken from whatever source should be able to be accessed easily & having the 'date taken' & the name of where it was taken should help immeasurably.

In this file would be stills that I might like to crop or enhance or videos that I would like to trim.

My Sony HD camcorder came with a a program called PMB which went some of the way to achieving this since you could do simple cropping & enhancement of stills or take a 40 second clip & just keep 6 seconds of it or do a still capture. It could display the stills & videos together in date taken sequence a I recall. It could even rename either the the videos or stills but only one at a time.

The PMB program was replaced by Sony with another which took things further away from what I wished to achieved.

Incidentally I have a friend who was an identical Sony camcorder which also has a large hard drive which he recons he will never fill with newly taken video files & had the idea that as he finished each new project he could use some of the unused space on the camcorders hard drive to store completed projects. I told him that I don't think that he can use his camcorder as a storage device.

In the mean time I have been using Adobe Photoshop Elements to import stills & videos & then display them either singularly or together. Unfortunately since I don't have Adobe Premier installed as well I don't get to see thumbnails for the videos, just blank empty frames.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:43:05 am

[Paul Gregory]

After reading and re-reading your first and now last post, I just don't see where you have a problem that requires another bit of software. It's really simple for what you say you want--just use folders as JR suggested. Holidays are sequential--day1, day2, etc. You have photos--videos. day1-photos, day1-videos, etc. What could be easier. Go through each folder, and get rid of what you don't want. Delete photos--do basic cuts editing for your video assets. Once finished, begin assembly editing. First day 1. Begin with a story line. For holidays it's pretty easy--its usually sequential. Tell your story by adding photos and the edited video clips. Unless I'm missing something completely, no offense, but I believe you're overthinking the problem--just get on with it and do it and have some fun.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Sep 1, 2015 at 3:46:20 am

Yea, that is precisely what happens which I think is what Paul wanted. Every camera that I've seen, both stills and video, provide very little information in a file name. It may be a name plus clip 1, clip 2, etc., or a meaningless number. So, my suggestion is to give a group of images a meaningful name like place and/or date plus a sequence number which preserves the original sequence of the images.

I don't know why that merits a "Beware".

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 1, 2015 at 10:56:38 am

[Bob Peterson] " So, my suggestion is to give a group of images a meaningful name like place and/or date plus a sequence number which preserves the original sequence of the images."
+1

Not only that... but a year later when you go to make a photo montage of several events and you find that each folder has the same file names because the camera resets to IMG0001 every time you empty the camera card... or you used several cameras that use the same filename, you will be happy that you renamed all of your pictures "Event_Name-0001". ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:35:01 pm

It gets worse John. Let's suppose you begin reorganizing your shots so they are more logically grouped. It's probably impossible to detect duplicate names in a series of directories, so, when you move images from directory A and B to C, image IMG0001 on directory A and image IMG0001 on directory B both get moved to directory C. Ouch! Fortunately, Windows has now gotten smart enough to tell you there is a collision, but there was a time when it did not. I'm sure I lost images that way. Even so, it is still a mess because now you can't move the images unless you first rename the offenders.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:57:57 pm

[Bob]

I don't know why that merits a "Beware".

The "beware" was from a previous post about using Windows Explorer for renaming.

Then right click on the first file you want to rename, change the name, and Windows will automatically add a "(1)" at the end, and will number the rest in order.

Beware. The problem with this approach is that you lose all the file names.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:11:10 pm

[Wayne Waag] "Beware. The problem with this approach is that you lose all the file names."
I'm just as confused as Bob. Isn't the whole purpose of renaming files to "loose the file name" in favor of a new one?

What this doesn't do is allow the files to be sorted because it doesn't pad the numbers so File(1), File(2), etc. will only work for 9 files because when you have 10 they will sort File(1), File(10), File (2), alphabetically. You really need a rename program to do this correctly. I use Bulk Rename Utility on Windows. On the Mac this is built into the OS X Finder so you don't need any external problem.

~jr

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:27:10 pm

[John Rofrano]

I'm just as confused as Bob. Isn't the whole purpose of renaming files to "loose the file name" in favor of a new one?

Not necessarily, you may want to simply add an index based upon however you want the files sorted while retaining the base name. The next sentence from my post was:

If you want to rename with an index number, use something like Renamer, where you can sort according to date or whatever, and then add an index number as either or prefix or suffix, so that the base name for each file remains unchanged.

In this manner, you can always "rename" the files once again, deleting the index, and you end up with the original name which at least for a particular camera is (usually) a unique number. I believe this is exactly why you are recommending use of the Bulk Rename Utility. Bottom line is that I think we are all on the same page.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:31:24 pm

Sorry I missed that part. So if the names are all different and you want to keep them and just add a number, that wouldn't work. I get it. Yea, we're both saying the same thing about using a rename utility.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:39:28 pm
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:41:15 pm

Sorry, but that still does not rise to the level of "BEWARE". Come on! Have you ever heard the acronym KIS? I was tempted, but I resisted the second "S". ;-)

BTW, if the files have already been renamed, the original question is moot.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 1, 2015 at 10:27:47 pm

[Bob Peterson]

Sorry, but that still does not rise to the level of "BEWARE". Come on! Have you ever heard the acronym KIS? I was tempted, but I resisted the second "S". ;-)

Bob, there's absolutely no need to be insulting over use of the word "beware" on this forum. We all post things that others disagree with--that's the nature of free interchange. We've all posted things that turned out to be absolutely wrong. Enough said.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]