FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording VIA HDMI for Vegas 12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Leigh
Recording VIA HDMI for Vegas 12
on Aug 29, 2015 at 5:38:35 pm

Hello!
I am producing some educational videos that require computer screen capture. The software I am capturing (protools) runs the CPU pretty hard so I don't want to use screen capture software.
I thought recording VIA HDMI might be a good option. I can connect the HDMI interface to my laptop and record to a second computer. Also using a HDMI interface I can capture from my Mac or PC.
I don't care if I capture direct to Vegas Pro or use other software.

I see these boxes anywhere from $50.00 to many hundreds. Some capture direct to SD cards.
I am looking for....
1) Captures to a codec that plays well with Vegas @ 29.97 HD reasonable file size
2) Image quality is good for a computer, I do NOT expect to capture off HDMI from a camera, though if it did It might add some life to my HDR FX-1 that is still running.
3) As cheap as possible if one of those $75 boxes fit the bill I have no shame about saving money.
Anybody have experience with these HDMI/ USB or Firewire devices, or ones that cap direct to a card?
Thank You
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 16 Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, AMD R280, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Recording VIA HDMI for Vegas 12
on Aug 29, 2015 at 7:31:08 pm

I would try MS Encoder 4 as it is a free download. If you are just recording GUI, and not Video or gameplay, you can reduce your capture frame rate to something as low as 1-5FPS. You do not need 30FPS to animate mouse movements. Convert the capture format to WMV @10Mbs-20Mbs, and it will be pretty much lossless image wise. You can also just use the VBR more at a quality setting of 95% and it determine the bit rate for you. You can edit the WMV in Vegas with any other video formats you have.

HDMI capture look at a Blackmagic Intensity card, and use the Media Express application to capture to MJPEG at whatever frame rate you want. I believe the Intensity requires standard video formats like 720 or 1080 to be output from your PC. With multiple monitors, you can loop an HDMI output from GPU into the HDMI input on the Intensity. On second monitor run the capture application. It can be confusing, you clone monitor 1 to HDMI out, record application on monitor 2, effectively you have 3 monitors in the display resolution applet.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 29, 2015 at 8:00:22 pm

I would forget all that and simply use Camtasia to do screen capture. I can't believe that Pro Tools will overwork your Core i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 16 Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, AMD R280 enough to not be able to use Camtasia.

I do all of my Boris FX training work with Camtasia and I can't imagine Pro Tools being harder on a CPU/GPU than what I do with Vegas Pro 13.0 running Boris Continuum Complete while using real-time 3D Video FX processing. Have you tried this? It should work fine.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 29, 2015 at 8:45:03 pm

To capture from HDMI, what I would do is get an ETEKCITY Mini HDMI2AV for $25 at Amazon. It is a little box which converts HDMI to composite video including both video and stereo audio. Feed that into an old DV camera which has a passthrough capability. The camera will convert the analog composite video to a DV digital format, and push it out through its firewire port. Connect the camera to your computer via firewire, and Vegas will capture the data and store it on disk. Once it is captured, you can begin editing.

If you don't have a suitable camera, I'm sure you can get one on ebay. The camera does not have to shoot video or write it to tape. All it needs to do is the passthrough operation. I have a Sony DCR-TRV17 that I use in this way.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 29, 2015 at 10:19:24 pm

[Bob Peterson] "Feed that into an old DV camera which has a passthrough capability."
While in theory all of the connections that you suggested will work... in practice it will probably look terrible for this particular application. Remember what Brad said:
[Brad Leigh] "I do NOT expect to capture off HDMI from a camera, though if it did It might add some life to my HDR FX-1 that is still running."
He is trying to create a screen capture tutorial about Pro Tools. I'm assuming he want's it to be HD or greater and not 655x480 which is what DV would give him. Besides he already has a DV camera and ruled that out as an option.

We used to do something similar to this with scan converter boxes and a second PC for making VASST training DVD's because you could not easily capture your desktop when we first started out. Unfortunately, the 4:1:1 DV codec is absolutely horrible at capturing computer graphics. Nothing will be readable because all of the tiny text will have fringes around the edges. I cringe when I go back and look at those old DVD's. They pale in comparison to the screen captures that we can do today with Camtasia. DV is really designed for representing "natural" video scenes and not very good with solid colors and thin text.

Brad, the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle can record from HDMI in HD and it supports Vegas Pro but the USB 3.0 version has very specific PC requirements. It's really more compatible with Macs that have Thunderbolt. I still think you should just use Camtasia. I'd really be shocked if that wasn't possible.

~jr

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 29, 2015 at 10:31:11 pm

The Blackmagic Intensity card that I recommended, and the shuttle that John is now recommending are the same thing. The thunderbolt and USB3 interfaces are another layer to have to work through. Where as the PCIe card in the right slot has full bandwidth to the PC, and no fiddling with USB3 modes in bios.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 29, 2015 at 10:33:38 pm

Good point, the PCI card eliminates the USB 3.0 requirements for PC's. I didn't realize you had recommended the same card as the shuttle. lol

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 30, 2015 at 2:46:01 am

I checked before I posted my response. He did not mention HD at all. I interpreted that to mean that SD is sufficient. Your interpretation is different than mine. Enough said.

I have never seen any quality problems with this approach, and we use the little box I mentioned to interface our Tivo box to our TV. Again, I have seen zero problems with the image. I stand by my response as the one which addresses his question of a good, low cost and low cpu overhead way to capture HDMI in a video file. Certainly, DV quality has been quite good for a lot of years. It is what Vegas assumed a few years ago, and what Vegas still supports. Not everyone needs a state of the art solution.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 30, 2015 at 2:05:52 pm

[Bob Peterson] "I have never seen any quality problems with this approach, and we use the little box I mentioned to interface our Tivo box to our TV."
Yes, but you're not recording a computer screen which has different properties than natural video. If you have a video of some trees and some of the leaves get blurred no one is going to notice, but if you have a video of a computer screen and some of the text gets blurred, that's a big problem.

For example:

Brad will be capturing Pro Tools running on his desktop. In my example I'm using Apple Logic Pro X, a similar DAW so that you can see what his students will see.

This is a snapshot of the Logic Pro X screen captured in HD:

This is a snapshot of the same screen after rendering to DV:

Notice how fuzzy the words are and in some case they are completely unreadable. It actually looks worse when the video is playing and things are moving on the screen. This is not acceptable quality for a computer based video tutorial. DV just wasn't designed to process this level of fine detail.

~jr

Return to posts index

Brad Leigh
on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:25:17 pm

Thanks everbody,
I'll take a look a the Black magic, those I was hoping someone had tried one of the cheaper options. I'm not cheap it just that I spend 100's of hours making these courses and they sell slowly so business wise being frugal.
Camtasia looks like it would work fine except for one issue, I want to be able to capture some on my Mac mini as well. So I would have to buy two copies. Also Pro Tools 11 and 12 which I am now using has a higher resolution graphics and meters. This is fine on my PC I7 or I5 but it does bog down on the Mac Mini, dual core. ( Pro Tools 9 ran fine on this machine) On this machine having the Mix and edit windows open causes the display of meters and faders to stutter.
I've tried this before using quick time and I agree HD is a necessity Quick time and some others capture at a lower frame rate which messes with the audio metering.
Thanks Again!
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 16 Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, AMD R280, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 30, 2015 at 8:17:46 pm

If cost is a concern, MS Encoder 4 Screen Capture is FREE and it works exceptionally well. MS no longer supports the product, and now it is free to use.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 30, 2015 at 10:07:48 pm

Point taken. I see what you mean, and I just read Brad's response that he needs HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]