FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting Vegas to see iZotope mastering tools

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Cole
Getting Vegas to see iZotope mastering tools
on Aug 28, 2015 at 6:55:45 am

Hi and thanks for the help.

I'm running Vegas 10 Pro on PC. I purchased a Tascam DR-70D and received a full version of Sound Forge 11 with it, as well as iZotope Nectar Elements and "iZotope Mastering and Repair Suite."

Sound Forge sees them but when I put the same directory into Vegas it doesn't. Any suggestions? See attached.

Am I correct that while multichannel, Sound Forge is not multitrack, and is therefore an inferior choice to Vegas if I want to work with the 4 channels that I will generating with the DR-70D?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Getting Vegas to see iZotope mastering tools
on Aug 28, 2015 at 7:54:51 am

Are you using the 64bit or the 32bit version of Sony Vegas 10?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Brett Cole
on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:09:47 am

It's Vegas Pro 10.0e 64-bit

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brett Cole
on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:12:58 am

By the way in the OP there is a typo, I should have said... the 4 TRACKS that I will be generating with the DR-70D, not channels, my mistake.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:26:39 am
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:28:49 am

Well, you are not seeing the plugins in Vegas because you are using
Vegas 64bit and those Izotope plugins are 32bits, and you have the
VST's files located in the default 32bit folder location and pointing Vegas to it...
That's what throwing things off.

Vegas handles multi-track audio far better than soundforge, its what i always use.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Brett Cole
on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:06:53 pm

I uninstalled by izotope programs and then re-installed the mastering suite. By default it installed into program files (not/86). Still Vegas doesn't see when I choose that as the VST directory.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:32:29 pm
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:36:05 pm

In my work, it is not necessary for Vegas to see or invoke Izotope. Within Vegas, and after I have the editing of my time line complete, I render the audio to a wav file which is a lossless way to place it in an external file. Then, I read the wav file into Izotope, perform all the operations I want to do in Izotope, and write it back out again. The edited file is then imported back into Vegas, and replaces the original audio in the project. By replace, I mean that it is dropped into a new track, and the old audio tracks are either deleted or nulled out. It is easy to position the audio in the new track because I know exactly where the render started.

After these steps are complete, I can go back to Izotope as often as I like, make changes, save the file, and the updated audio is back in Vegas where Vegas reanalyzes the updated file.

BTW, you say you have a Mastering and Repair Suite. That does not sound like a plug-in for Vegas, so, even if Vegas could call it, it would still not be working within Vegas like an Fx would.

Return to posts index

Brett Cole
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:47:53 pm
Last Edited By Brett Cole on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:58:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's not how it works in Sound Forge though, for me at least. All the tools are available at all times. There's some issue with Vegas seeing the mastering suite. It does see Nectar Elements, but not the mastering suite.

As far as the mastering suite not being a plugin for Vegas, I don't know, maybe that's the issue. It shows up in Sound Forge as part of the plugin chain, under VST, and Vegas has the same structure and the same set of dialogs for finding and using plugins. See below, from Sound Forge

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:09:27 pm

[Brett Cole]

My system is similar to yours. Mastering works plugins show up in Sound Forge, but not Vegas. I suspect the problem is one of licensing. As I recall, the Mastering Works plugins were part of SF10 at the time of purchase, whereas Nectar Elements was part of the Vegas upgrade package. Similar to Bob, I usually render a copy of the audio event which opens in Sound Forge (Open Copy in Sound Forge), do my effects processing and then save it back as a Take inside of Vegas. If I want to make subsequent changes, simply Ctrl-E (Open in Sound Forge).

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brett Cole
on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:16:31 pm

Great, thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like it might be a licensing issue. I emailed iZotope suppport, I'll post back if they reply. Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 29, 2015 at 7:49:45 am

Well, looking into it a little bit further, it seems it's indeed a licensing
issue from iZotope Brett.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 29, 2015 at 3:25:19 am

Yes, Sound Forge can be called from Vegas, but is not a plug in. What happens is Vegas passes the audio file to Sound Forge, Sound Forge operates on it, and saves it before exiting and leaving you back in Vegas. Sound Forge can also create a new file which is called a "Take" in Vegas. Since your Izotope functions are accessible in Sound Forge, I think your problem is solved. They do not have to be accessible in Vegas since you can get to Sound Forge from within Vegas. I don't think it is a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue. Both Sound Forge and Izotope are destructive editors. That means they actually change the source file. In contrast, Vegas is a non-destructive editor because it never changes a source file. It maintains meta data which describe the changes which must be made to source files when processing them. Those two ideas are quite incompatible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]