FORUMS: list search recent posts

GTX 970 support Vegas 13 / Preview performance

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Bumar
GTX 970 support Vegas 13 / Preview performance
on Aug 27, 2015 at 7:04:06 pm

Hi,

is there change that SV will support the gtx 970 in the future for Rendering?
On the other hand will the gtx 970 give a good performance in the Preview?

I need a new GPU and for some other reasons it must be a Nvidia.

Im working with an
i7 4790K @4,4
32GB Ram
Sony xavc-s Video Content

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
Re: GTX 970 support Vegas 13 / Preview performance
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:39:12 am

I have both the Nvidia GTX 970 and 570. The 970 has much better preview performance and New Blue Titler Pro 4 uses it too. I left the GTX 570 in when I do the Folding at Home to get EVGA credit. That will use both GPUs. I could select the 570 to perform renders in Sony, but I have realized that the preview performance is really what helps my workflow.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Aug 28, 2015 at 3:09:19 am

I have a GTX570 and my experience with it and Vegas has not been good. When video acceleration was enabled, Vegas would often hang for no reason. My renders were also terribly slow.

After disabling the video acceleration, my editing was rock stable and I got at least a 1:1 render time, usually less.

I found that when I first installed the card, my preview performance improved only marginally. When I later updated my CPU from an i7 920 to an i7 970, that made the most difference.

I also found that the latest Nvidia drivers are unstable (application faults, driver crashes and recovery), and have rolled them back to the stock drivers that Windows 7 installs.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Peter Bumar
on Aug 28, 2015 at 7:55:04 am

Hey Mark:

"The 970 has much better preview performance " That helps. Rendering Times are not so improtant for me. A good Preview is much more important. What CPU are you using?

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:39:42 pm

i7 hex core as shown below
Processor
Class: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 970 @ 3.20GHz
Identifier: GenuineIntel
Number of processors: 12
MMX available: Yes
SSE available: Yes
SSE2 available: Yes
SSE3 available: Yes
SSSE3 available: Yes
SSE4.1 available: Yes
SSE4.2 available: Yes

Here is a link to the benchmark that validated my 970 was able to perform much better than the 570 with video preview.
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/980607#980718

I try to remember to turn off the GPU feature in SVP when rendering longer projects, because it is more reliable with the CPU only and the render times are acceptable to me.

I might have switched to the AMD card that was getting better reviews, but I had nearly $300 in EVGA bucks from doing the Folding at Home that getting the GTX970 was very cheap. In that forum thread I refer to, they mention that the Vegas Pro timeline acceleration is OpenCL so it works with the newer cards. The support for the older AMD and Nvidia cards are in the rendering code that Sony licenses. Most of my workflow is editing time and if I could improve that with a small incremental cost to upgrade to the GTX970 and maintain the investment in time and money with my SVP13 system,then it was my best course of action.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]