FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow Enlightenment Needed

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Whitaker
Workflow Enlightenment Needed
on Aug 27, 2015 at 5:58:07 pm

I've gone thru 35 hours of footage for a documentary for an editing class I'm taking.

I've created 2000+ subclips which I had to spread out over several project files. I tried putting them all in one project file, but it bogged the system down too much, so I had to create several project files with subclips in each.

Couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to run a report and print it out for each project file that lists the subclip and the video file it's pointing to?

2. When I start the main project file and need to access the subclips to start laying them on the timeline, what's the best way to do that since they're spread out over several project files? Is the only way to do that to have multiple instances of Vegas open?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Workflow Enlightenment Needed
on Aug 27, 2015 at 6:35:20 pm

1. If you have Excel or another spreadsheet program, highlight all the project information by going into the Edit Details tab, clicking on the top left button (above 1 and to the left of Track), do Ctrl+C to copy it and then paste it into Excel. All the information will be there so organize and sort as needed.

2. As long as your computer is up to the task, then yes, multiple instances is the easiest method. Doing a copy/paste from one to another is very easy to do.
Being well organized is the key here so that you don't have to have 50 instances open at once when 3 or 4 will do :)
I have the feeling that you're very well organized so this won't be an issue. Good luck with the project!!

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Aug 27, 2015 at 8:30:53 pm

I'll try that. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 27, 2015 at 11:07:25 pm

One would almost think that Sony designed this to work with Excel.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 28, 2015 at 1:39:02 am

The nice thing about it is that it works both ways. For example, if you've defined a bunch of markers or regions and don't want to enter the names individually, you can simply paste these into the name column regardless of their source--excel, notepad, word, etc., which can be a real time-saver.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:26:51 am

A very good point.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 28, 2015 at 3:44:42 am

Used in conjunction with an MP4 or WMV or DVD timcoded rushes, I use this EXCEL method to give my clients an opportunity to edit what parts of Talking Heads they want and don't want. Once I get the EXCEL back from them it's a simple CTR+C (Copy) and in Edit Detail View, CTRL+V (Paste) and edit-down.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Aug 28, 2015 at 6:14:21 pm

How do you get to the Edit Details tab?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 28, 2015 at 6:17:31 pm

Easiest way--Alt-6.

wwaag