FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turn Region into Sub-Clips in Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin Impett
Turn Region into Sub-Clips in Vegas Pro 13
on Aug 27, 2015 at 5:24:31 pm

My goal is to create my regions on the time-line and create the sub-clip from there.

The problem with the trimmer is its limitation to a single track/clip.

I'm looking for a way to avoid having to render out the regions as sub-clips, but still have the ability to sort and tag the regions as if they were sub-clips.

thanks,
Gavin

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Turn Region into Sub-Clips in Vegas Pro 13
on Aug 29, 2015 at 1:16:10 pm

[Gavin Impett] "My goal is to create my regions on the time-line and create the sub-clip from there."
To create a subclip from a region:
  1. Double-click within the region in the Timeline Ruler to make a Timeline Selection from the Region
  2. Press 'S' to split the events on the timeline at the Region boundaries
  3. Right-click the event within the Region that you want to make the Subclip from and select Create Subclip from the popup context menu.
[Gavin Impett] "The problem with the trimmer is its limitation to a single track/clip."
The problem with your thinking is that somehow a subclip is NOT limited to a single track/clip! A subclip can only contain media from a subset of a single clip which is why the trimmer works the way that is does.
[Gavin Impett] "I'm looking for a way to avoid having to render out the regions as sub-clips, but still have the ability to sort and tag the regions as if they were sub-clips."
You're looking for something that doesn't exist and cannot exist because a timeline can contain multiple tracks and a subclip can only contain the media from a single track which is why you should be using the Trimmer.

If you want to be rearranging entire multi-track sections then you should use Nested projects. This is not as easy to do in Vegas Pro as it is in other NLE's like Final Cut Pro X where you could make composite clips and do exactly what you want.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Turn Region into Sub-Clips in Vegas Pro 13
on Aug 30, 2015 at 1:11:03 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Aug 30, 2015 at 1:13:24 am

Everyone has their own workflow. Pre-editing your source footage, or creating selects, has is benefits.

• Rendering select ranges in .mov, .mts, or .mp4 to HDCAM-sr-lite, XDCAM, or XAVC.mxf will edit in vegas in a more fluid manner, and smart render* in final render. HDCAM-sr-lite, XDCAM, or XAVC.mxf will composite, render effects and CC in real time much better than say AVCHD camera masters.

• Project storage can be minimized by getting rid of all the garbage you will never use. Once edit source material is in a Smart Render able format, you can then use the archive project function in Vegas. This will trim the source material in a non destructive manner to an even smaller size.

• Here is a post from the Sony forum on batch rendering in Vegas where the region names are used for the file name.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=927393

Not only will the rendered files names have info you want to describe the content, but you can still tag the files after the fact in media bins.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]