FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ticker tape text disappearing underneath a static word on the left

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Basterfield
Ticker tape text disappearing underneath a static word on the left
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:08:37 am

Hi,

I've created a ticker tape, like CNN Breaking using Sony Vegas Pro 13 for my University assignment.

On the left I have the name of a poem, e.g. Pursuit which is static. I've created text media of each line that moves in from off the screen on the right and stops just to the right of the poem's title.

I would like it to appear to be disappearing underneath the poem's title rather disappear when it reaches its stop point as above.

e.g. Pursuit What do I care that the stream is trampled

meaning each word fades out as it gets to where What is above, or is there another way to make it disappear underneath Pursuit, but still with the space it has above, so for example the sentence progressively disappears as it reaches the point just beyond the end of the static Pursuit?

Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Colin

Return to posts index

Colin Basterfield
Re: Ticker tape text disappearing underneath a static word on the left
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:22:10 am

ah, now I'm adding the subsequent sentences, I see they aren't moving in at the same rate as the one before...

yikes, this could turn into a saga...

:-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Aug 27, 2015 at 3:44:01 pm

I don't know what your experience level is, but I was able to create what you're talking about using 4 video tracks:
Track1: Generated Media of the word "Pursuit" located in the lower left corner (allowing for the title-safe area)
Track2: Is a copy of the Track4 Generated Media background, but has been turned into a Mask that creates a vertical strip just wider than the word "Pursuit". It has been set to Path|Feather Type|Out at 6%. This will provide the "cover" for your moving text to "duck under" the word Pursuit. The feather will give the illusion that your moving words are "disappearing" as they approach the word Pursuit.
Track3: This is the Generated Media text of "What do I care that the stream is trampled". If you set a keyframe at the start with the Pan set so it is just to the left of the word "What..." and then set another keyframe seconds later (the amount of time you want the text to scroll across the screen), say 5 seconds, then set the Pan to be just to the right of the last word, "...trampled".
Track4: I used a Generated Media, Color Gradient, Soft Blue Background.

Here is a copy of what my Vegas Pro 10 desktop looks like:

Here is a copy of what the Track2 Masked Background looks like (by itself):

Here is a picture of what the Track 2 Pan/Crop Mask setup looks like:

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Colin Basterfield
on Aug 27, 2015 at 6:12:46 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for this. My experience around some of these points is a little sparse, but I'm good with the text moving across using keyframes, but not much experience with the masking stuff. I've had a play though with your example, so am getting a better idea of how yours works.

The bigger challenge now is feeding in the rest of the poem line at a time and keeping the speed consistent across all. ;-)

I'm on Vegas Pro 13, so there are a lot of templates using transparent to black for example.

Many thanks and I'll let you know how I go.
Colin

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Aug 27, 2015 at 8:12:23 pm

If you look at the (2) Track3 events, you will see that each (of the two) is intended to be a line from your poem. I believe I had set each line to scroll across in 5 seconds - it seemed easy to read in that amount of time. If that is not OK, then you would just need to modify the length (event time) of each of the succeeding lines of the poem. As an example, if the next line is roughly twice as long as the first two, it should probably be visible for roughly twice as long (10 seconds), or if it's half as long as the first two, then shorten the event duration to 2.5 seconds.

If you lengthen the event holding a line of poem text, don't forget to go in and move the last keyframe from where it is, to the end of the event (i.e. you want the "camera" to pan across the line of text during the entire amount of time the event is on screen).

Also keep in mind, that as you add additional lines of poem text events to Track3, then you will also need to lengthen the time of the Track1 (Pursuit text event), the Track2 (Background Mask event), and the Track4 (Background event) so they are visible during the entire duration of the poem.

If you want to "up your game" a little more, you could add another track (right below Track3) and put additional poem text there. By staggering the timing between the poem text in Track 3 and the (new) Track4, you could have the next line of the poem starting to come across the screen while the previous line is just disappearing from the screen.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:18:38 pm

I know everyone just wants someone to give them a fish, but this tutorial may help.

Learning how to work the compositor may help you better achieve what your vision is.

Return to posts index

Colin Basterfield
on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:32:20 pm

Hi Aaron,

In my role as an Agile Coach of s/w dev teams I am always strive to teach people how to fish, and yet so often it seems people just want a fish.

It's funny that is exactly how I'm perceived here. ;-)

I'm really an amateur with Vegas Pro and haven't invested the appropriate amount of time to learn a lot of the basics.

All too often people have so much more to do to achieve their objective, so when they get bogged down in the detail of a particular aspect of that, they get stuck and panic, especially with a uni assignment deadline a week from Friday, in my case, I find myself just wanting a fish. :-)

I will invest the time in watching the video you've linked me to.

Many thanks and warm regards
Colin

Return to posts index

Colin Basterfield
on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:34:51 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some more fish to digest, and thank you for giving me the room to cook the fish myself, a la Aaron's comment.

I will let you know how I go.
Thanks again
Colin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]