FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to crop something then make it smaller?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared O'Malley
How to crop something then make it smaller?
on Aug 27, 2015 at 2:34:44 am

In my game I am recording the chat is small and I want to make it bigger and then sit at the bottom left of the screen. When I try to do that I click the crop button and then make the selection over the chat box but then that centers the chat in the middle of the screen and its massive and when I move it around the background of the footage behind the chat still shows. Is there any way I can cut the chat out of the rest of the footage and then drag it around without the background footage being there?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: How to crop something then make it smaller?
on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:44:24 am

Use a parent track to easily do that. If you don't fully understand
its process, read up on parent and child compositing in Vegas to get a quick
understanding.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 27, 2015 at 9:18:41 pm

Assuming that the chat box is on its own track, be sure that track is the top track. Go into Pan/Crop on the event (or clip) on that top track. Click on mask in the lower left corner of the pan/crop screen. The mask controls will become active. Use the Anchor Creation Tool (it looks like a pen tip) to create corners for the chat box. You will see the mask being drawn as you create the anchor points. Finally, click on the first anchor point again to complete the mask. Only the portion of the image that is within the mask can now be seen for the top track. Click on "Position" which is on the lower left of the pan/crop screen just above "mask". You can now move the image to position the area you selected with the mask where you want it to be. You can also expand and contract using the normal crop/pan size controls (i.e. to expand simply drag a corner of the screen out). As you expand the screen, the masked area will also expand. Contracting the size works the same way.

If the chat box is superimposed on your main video, you will first need to duplicate the track. Then, work on the top track, and follow the above directions. You will, in that case, still have the problem of the covering the chat box on the main video image since your whole goal was to move that part of the screen.

You can find more detailed explanations of how the various controls work in the help screens.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:02:08 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:04:41 pm

If I understand what you want to do, the easiest thing is to first crop your chat box. Just make sure in the Pan/Crop Window that under Source, the Stretch to Fill Frame is set to NO. In this way, the area around the crop remains black and the image is not expanded. I suspect that you have it set to YES which is why the image is "massive" in your words. Once you have it cropped, then use Track Motion to further resize and move your cropped image to wherever you want--for example, to the lower right.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:48:33 am

All good suggestions. I would use ether the Mask tool or Pan/Crop to crop out what you don't want and then Track Motion to move and resize it as needed.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]