FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mysterious lagging phenomenon on freshly-rendered file

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Gardner
Mysterious lagging phenomenon on freshly-rendered file
on Aug 26, 2015 at 1:54:36 pm

Have a VHS tape in my project that I was working with and re-digitized on nicer hardware (ADVC-300). Rendered using mpeg2, same bitrate as original file, same file size, same hard drive.

Now, when I load it into vegas it causes serious lag whenever I'm viewing/editing it. I did the same thing with another tape, no lag.

Any ideas? I've re-rendered again, made sure audio bitrate is same, no dice. What the heck?

I can post a file portion if anybody wants to take a looksy

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Mysterious lagging phenomenon on freshly-rendered file
on Aug 26, 2015 at 4:53:50 pm

If Vegas is have issues with one file but not another, there has to be a difference in the file. The contents on or the type of tapes are not a factor. Use mediainfo or Gspot to tell the difference in the files. When you say ""Rendered using mpeg2", do you mean captured as?

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 26, 2015 at 7:53:29 pm

As Danny mentioned there is a difference in the file format why one works
smoothly and the other doesn't.
Do you see issues after the final output is rendered?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 26, 2015 at 9:35:24 pm

Why would you render the DV capture to MPEG2? DV is going to be as good as it gets from the ADVC-300.

If the project timeline is lagging when it hits the DV footage, I would check the project properties of the DV file. Make sure the dll being used is Sony's, and not some other company.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 26, 2015 at 7:08:14 pm

Whenever I have digitized a VHS tape, the capture process has produced a file as its output. I have always used that file in Vegas. There has never been a decision about bit rate for either audio or video. Does the ADVC 300 do something different than this? You seem to be converting that original file. If that is correct, I am curious as to why you are doing that. The conversion should produce something like what is produced when a DV tape is captured, and Vegas should have no problem with such a file.

The first obvious thing is to look at your preview setting. If it were set to Best/Full, that would definitely cause a lag in the preview. Also, are any special effects being applied? You should probably also tell us which version of Vegas and how fast your machine is.

Return to posts index

Marcus Gardner
on Sep 6, 2015 at 6:52:20 pm

So I got spooked by the original DV-avi file size and compressed them to mpegs. I went back to the original dv-avis (which were occasionally too long because I left the VCR/ADVC running), trimmed them up, and used them (in all their 28Gig glory) and the syncing was better than ever.

I noticed vegas could much more accurately sync the audio-video with those files than the original old mpgs I was given before I recaptured the tapes. Also, the ADVC gave me a way larger audio ceiling - there was clipping all over the place on the old mpegs I was given (captured straight from a VCR with USB), audio was in general much cleaner as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]