FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows 10

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Cookson
Windows 10
on Aug 24, 2015 at 1:06:28 pm

Has anybody got a system running ok with Windows 10 with Vegas Pro 13..was wondering if its worth upgrading to it or not..

Mick

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Windows 10
on Aug 24, 2015 at 6:38:08 pm

Yes. I upgraded my Win8.1 system to Win10 and did not need to reinstall Vegas, it just works. I did install the latest AMD driver, and Realtek sound drivers. The audio I maybe did not need to do, since it was the same driver version as under 8.1. My system is fairly complex with Hyper-V running 2 VMs in the background, SQL, IIS, network monitoring software, and software RAID 1 across 8 HDD. All the extras migrated without having to reconfigure them.

Return to posts index

Joseph Tessier
on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:20:37 pm

I did a clean install and had to reinstall everything. All is working perfectly!

J. Paul

Win 7 Home Prem x64 VegasPro 13

Return to posts index

Mick Cookson
on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:45:27 am

Ok thanks guys , I have now sorted my other problem out. I will go ahead with the upgrade later, I have two pc's telling me that my reserved copy of Windows 10 is ready for updating..

I have an old Epson printer attached to one of them and as far as I can see there are no drivers for it for Windows 8 or Windows 10, so I think my grand kids are going to get another cast off and I will get a new one...

Mick

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 25, 2015 at 1:32:54 pm

Worth it!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:34:23 pm

Upgrading a PC OS version is always scary. They all have new bugs to deal with. Unless you are a PC guru and have plenty of time to "tweak" everything, I hold off as long as I can. In some cases I've had to reinstall every program and plug-in and basically start from scratch. When I bought my iMac I was amazed how fast and easy it was to move from PCland to Macland.

If you can tell me what advantages WIN 10 have over WIN 7 as far as video production and SVP13, tell me now.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 26, 2015 at 12:39:34 am

"If you can tell me what advantages WIN 10 have over WIN 7 as far as video production and SVP13, tell me now"
There is no advantage where video production is concerned! just if one wants
to experience a new interface with a few new features and the OS is stable
and fast, what harm then to do it? Windows 8 was a mess, Windows 10 isn't.

Would you still be using Windows 2000 now, even if all the
software on it was still efficient and fast and Windows 7 wasn't any
faster? Im sure the answer would be no.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 26, 2015 at 4:28:48 pm

Personally, my machine is here to work. New experiences, such as hardware like printers which no longer work, are definitely not on my bucket list. There have to be solid benefits before I spend the time and money to upgrade a machine. I definitely do not need the problems that come when the OS is brand new. I let the pioneers take the arrows in the back, and wait for things to settle down.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 26, 2015 at 10:52:02 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Aug 26, 2015 at 10:53:45 pm

Lets see...hmm. There have not been any changes to Windows since 7, unless you consider these as changes:

Improved memory architecture:

Windows 7
•Starter: 8GB
•Home Basic: 8GB
•Home Premium: 16GB
•Professional: 192GB
•Enterprise: 192GB
•Ultimate: 192GB

Windows 8 & 10
• Windows 8 - 128GB
• Windows 8 Professional - 512GB
• Windows 8 Enterprise - 512GB

Lighter weight OS overall that boots faster, much faster. On my configuration, once my system clears Bios checking, its only like 10 seconds to desktop. Basic OS load memory utilization actually went down on Win8.

Windows 8&10 include Hyper-V - win8,10,Server 2012 support dynamic memory support, OS like Unbuntu do not support dynamic memory.

Windows 10 supports DX12

Chrome, Firefox, and Edge all perform faster in 10.

Integrated AV

Improved device support, and improved OS update technology.

I will say that my printer from 2000 no longer auto recognized, and I needed to load an HP driver that was compatible manually. Not sure that is an HP or MS issue though. HP makes ****** products.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 27, 2015 at 10:37:00 am

That's an HP problem.
I've continuously recommend upgrading to Windows 10 if one can. It's worth
it, good shortlisting Aaron.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 27, 2015 at 3:51:18 pm

The constant Windows updates over time also slows down the OS as the
months/years go by, another reason why i always keep automatic updates off.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 28, 2015 at 1:55:45 am

What is more likely to slow the machine down over time is inefficient disk organization. Sometimes that's due to fragmentation. Other times it is due to the defragging algorithm in Windows. I run Diskeeper from Condusiv Technologies. It has proven itself over the years by producing very noticeable improvements in system speed because, among other things, it relocates programs which are used frequently to the areas of the hard drive which have the fastest access. My release of the product is getting a bit old (version 12 vs version 15), but it runs on a continuous basis and keeps all of my disk drives optimized for their best performance. I have not noticed ANY slow down in my computer since it was new. It is now at least five years old.

My old boss discovered this product in, probably, the 1990s. It was remarkably effective then, and it still is effective.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 27, 2015 at 2:43:43 pm

I remember how fast Win 7 started when it was first installed. However, after various applications were installed, and began calling home for updates, things slowed down somewhat. It may take a minute now for Windows to start. I would not be surprised if one of my three printers or if my scanner among other hardware devices that I depend on would come up short on the availability of updated drivers. I've been there, done that, many times. The list of features looks impressive, but then they always do. It usually turns out that most of them have no relevance or value to me. Certainly, if you see advantages in Win 8, you and I have very definite differences in what we want in a computer. I agree with John Rofrano that no one who is working well in Win 7 should upgrade to either Win 8 or 10. That said, thanks for the update. Perhaps, one day, there will be a need to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:14:10 pm

Anyone have ANY reasons to upgrade at all?
I didn't like what I saw in Win8/8.1 so what is so cool about 10? Seriously, I don't know what is better or cooler enough to upgrade this OS.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:03:26 am

If you don't know good, solid reasons for you to upgrade, I would not do so. I think it is fairly certain that there are always going to be glitches with things that do not work such as Aaron's HP printer which will have to be replaced. I suspect that many of the improvements Aaron mentions are marketing and/or things, such as "Server 2012 support dynamic memory support" which are irrelevant to people like us.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Aug 28, 2015 at 3:22:36 am

My Windows 10 experience has been varied. One laptop, a Dell, upgraded flawlessly. The other, an Asus, seemed to install, but upon initial restart, dimmed the screen right down to 0%, making it look like nothing was working. Took me a while to figure that one out, needless to say. When it finally did upgrade, my system started crashing and would NOT let me roll back. So I wiped it completely, reinstalled Windows 7 and then upgraded to 10. After I got EVERYTHING reinstalled, Windows 10 would inexplicably freeze. I did not have a 3rd party anti-virus (used Microsoft's) and disabled all startup programs. That worked for about 2 days. Then the freezing started again. I wiped everything again and went back to Windows 7 and it has been rock solid ever since. Unfortunately, nothing in the event logs gives me any clues.

I have another editing system (this PC that is in my message signature) that uses legacy PCI drivers for a 3rd party SATA controller that was inherited from Vista. I would love to upgrade that system to Windows 10, but I really don't have a compelling reason other than to stay current. I am also nervous as this system has a motherboard based RAID 1 and RAID 0 disk subsystem, and if that fails, I am truly screwed. No Windows 10 roll back option if that happens * sigh *.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:15:30 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Aug 28, 2015 at 9:32:35 am

If you are running on i7-Gen4 or older, or Hd79xx or older hardware, you are not going to see updates to your system any more. Bios, drivers, nothing. What you will get from the likes of NVidia and AMD are driver updates that will updates the advertising they want pushed out to you, or new graphics that they want seen for the control panel.

Basically if you are running win7 on old hardware, why update, your system will not change as no one is actually solving problems on your hardware anymore. You may get security patches to the OS, but that's about it. Issues or quirks with older hardware will stay that way until you upgrade. Use your Win7 system until you cannot deal anymore with the problems.

Most of the problems I have had with Win10 were on laptop hardware that was "designed for vista." Those problems were with a wifi adapter already identified as having a DPC problem with intel's driver, trackpad driver issues, and card reader drivers.

The problems the user above is having sounds similar to some of the problems I was having with the older laptop I was testing on. This is the type of stuff you run into when you try and support the amount of ageing hardware that MS is. The Apple way is, we do not support that model anymore or architecture, move on. Microsoft could probably take some direction from Apple in that respect.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 30, 2015 at 12:55:41 pm

Two points. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Microsoft has it right, and it goes back a long way. Make every effort to enable older machines to avoid obsolescence. Apple's answer has always been very different. We're going in a new direction so buy all new hardware and software or you will be left without support and no way to go forward. Microsoft learned when IBM used what is now the Apple strategy with the introduction of OS2. Microsoft countered with Windows 2.1, and left OS2 in IBM's hands. Microsoft won that gamble because the new OS gave huge benefits without requiring all new hardware and software. IBM became a has been and eventually left the PC business. Some of the newer Apple fans simply have not yet been bitten by the "buy all new stuff" strategy yet. Others will simply continue to do what Apple dictates. In spite of all its faults, I will stick with Microsoft for the foreseeable future. I have a lot more freedom and flexibility.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:02:39 am
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:03:48 am

Scott, if you are currently using Windows 7 and still don't see a reason to
upgrade, stick with Windows 7, simple.
But if you are currently using Windows 8, i then would encourage you to
upgrade to Windows 10!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Mick Cookson
on Aug 28, 2015 at 5:15:06 pm

Well guys I have pdated my three systems a Dell i7 17" laptop, that had Win 7 on it, this upgraded with no problems.

My other editing system is a PC desktop Asus m/b i5 cpu and 16gb ram,Nvidia graphics, it also has a SSD boot drive and three other drives, 4 Tb, 2 Tb and 750gb, this also upgraded with an issue.

Just done my normal day to day desktop and that also went without a hitch, but both my desktops are 8 months old, and my laptop is about 18 months old so maybe that helped.

I was running two ols pc's for about 6 years for my editing but they got so slow and troublesome that I ended up biting the bullet and bought the two new systems and boy what a difference, especially the render times...

I mainly do family and my own stuff now as I am semi retired, but started using vegas for my weddings when vegas 4 was out..

I still have my first editing system I bought, its called Direct Ed, it cost about £800.00 about 20 years ago, it is a simple remote controlled device, that controlled two vcr's and you had to load the program and graphics from a master tape to change any graphics, I thought is was magic until I tried Vegas, once I had I was hooked and never looked back..
Was thinking about giving it to a Photographic museum ..

Mick

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Aug 29, 2015 at 5:28:49 am

I'm somewhat interested just because My Windows 7 is starting to glitch out and do things like boot up very slowly and I need to reinstall it. But I still wouldn't take a chance on it until I could test it on another computer. As it is, I have no need to, and Windows 7 does everything I need (which mostly consists of not giving me a horrid interface like Windows 8).

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 30, 2015 at 1:02:23 pm

I wrote about Diskeeper in another thread. You might want to look into it since your machine is booting slowly. I have always been impressed by how much Diskeeper helps with speed. Another possibility is anti-virus software. I now use only Microsoft Security Essentials, and have had no problems with malware. It's a lot less demanding than any other anti-malware software that I have used.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Aug 31, 2015 at 5:51:41 pm
Last Edited By Angelo Mike on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:15:25 pm

I no longer anti-virus software. My computer doesn't run very slowly (though it could use some help). It's the boot up time that takes a while because I get a black screen before I get to my desktop for 15 seconds or so.

Edit: I downloaded a trial of Diskeeper. It seems pretty cool and Firefox already seems to open faster after startup. I'll render a video today and see if it makes a difference there, too. I still get the black screen, though, which it seems like I'll have to reinstall Windows 7 to fix.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 2, 2015 at 1:23:56 pm

Angelo, yeah you gonna have to reinstall windows 7 to fix that!
Diskeeper can only do so much.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]