FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy Editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Le
Proxy Editing
on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:59:45 pm

Hi. How exactly do I proxy edit on Sony Vegas 13?

I upload the mp4 clips onto the media project window. I highlight and right mouse click create proxy files
then they take a while to make the proxies. Then I drag the clips onto my time line. In the PREVIEW option of the preview screen, I select HALF or QUARTER. But it still lags as if I didn't create a proxy file. Sometimes FULL doesn't lag as much as HALF. My laptop edited Sony's AVCHD files from a sony rx100 smoothly, but since upgrading cameras that only captures in .mp4 i've been struggling. What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
Re: Proxy Editing
on Aug 15, 2015 at 1:08:06 pm

excuse me, sony rx 100's .mts files.
i can split, cut, and delete them much faster than I can with .mp4 files that are supposed to be proxy files. this leads me to believe that maybe im missing a step here.

my computer is a lenovo y5 quad core i7 2.5 ghz 8gb of ram.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 15, 2015 at 6:37:18 pm

Proxies in Vegas are automatic. Nothing to do other than create them. The proxy will be used whenever your preview mode is Preview or Draft. In Good and Best the original files are used.

You say "mp4" like that means anything. MP4 files are just a generic container and they can contain just about any video and audio codecs in combination. Vegas only supports a few of them. AVC and XDCAM mpeg-2.

Vegas proxies are XDCAM EX video in 720 resolution. This is an mpeg-2 codec which always edits better than AVC/H.264 video in my experience.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 15, 2015 at 11:29:47 pm

Proxy editing can be as easy as:

Vegas-file.veg
-Sub folder full res footage
-Sub folder Proxy res footage

Render all the master footage to xdcam and place in proxy folder keeping the names the same. Changing back and forth is as easy as renaming the master folder name. Then open Vegas and point to proxy files. When ready to change back, rename the folders again, and re-point Vegas to full res files.

This is the way proxy is has worked forever. The proxy edit feature in Vegas is just an attempt to automate this old school process. They simply build the same files and then playback the proxy below Best/Good settings.

With footage as basic as RX100, you could just clip and convert all master media to XDCAM-EX and forget the .MTS media. Then just edit the resulting XDCAM footage. Vegas can batch render by region, which allows for CC and clipping the source footage to cut down on the batch render time.

On other thing to think about, the Lenovo y50 with i7-4700HQ, the processor computational comparison is less than a i7-Gen1 desktop. Getting a cheapo desktop with a i7-4790k, and using the intel graphics would probably give you a better editing experience. Assuming that is correct model number you posted.

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
on Aug 16, 2015 at 6:42:57 am
Last Edited By Kyle Le on Aug 16, 2015 at 7:27:07 am

thank you guys for the responses.

I don't have a problem editing with .mts files and can edit them without a proxy conversion.
I do have problems with .hvc 24 codec or MP4 as I was referring.

if I tried to manually convert the files on my own to xdcam how would I do that?

the preview screen doesn't lag that much, but the problem is when I split and cut a clip, it takes a little bit longer to delete than the .mts files even if I adjust the proxied preview to half or quarter. It hesitates a bit before it cuts a clip from my timeline. The .mts raw files are gone instantly. How can I fix this - assuming I'm already editing with proxy files because I switched the preview over to Good and that completely cause lag, and switched it back to Preview/Draft and was able to preview with very very minimal lag.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 18, 2015 at 9:43:17 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Aug 18, 2015 at 9:48:44 am

To convert the mts to any format. Open a default vegas project, drop a clip on the timeline and render as to the XDCAM-EX.mxf that matches the footage size.

For batch rendering, there are plugins that convert vegas into a batch render tool, or there is this post from a while ago that explains how to use a modified Sony script in Vegas:

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/24/991739

I recommend testing how responsive your system is with MTS clips, MP4, and XDCAM both with GPU enabled and CPU only. Zoom in on the timeline and "scrub" back and forth quickly with the timeline cursor. You often times will see how much more responsive XDCAM, HDCAM-SR, and SR-lite.MXF is over editing from mp4 based file formats. If your machine struggles with editing .mp4 files, you will see "..." building after the frame counter vs smooth snappy visuals during the scrub test.

Try putting 3-4 layers of like video formats on a timeline, make the opacity 25% and see which format drops framerate the least.

For example on my modest system, here is run down on how the codecs stack up:

3 layers of HDCAM-SR&SR-Lite will not drop
3 layers of XDCAM no dropped frames
3 layers of XAVC-HD will achieve about 6FPS
3 layers of DNxHD.mov - 7FPS
3 layers of Nikon-AVC@54Mbs.mov - 11-15FPS
3 layers of SonyAVC.MP4 - 9FPS

HDCAM SR and SR-lite are high bitrate HD equivalents to PRORES-HQ.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]