FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for alternative render options in Vegas 13.0

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony James
Looking for alternative render options in Vegas 13.0
on Aug 14, 2015 at 8:19:14 pm

Okay, I know you guys here get these posts like 3-4 time a week. I myself have asked this before, but have never gotten nor found a successful solution. My apologies beforehand for the long story.

Basically, I'm in the camp of "I have an nVidia GPU and have terrible rendering speed." I understand that Vegas is not fully equipped to use nVidia cards for rendering and that mine isn't supported under default settings. I have downloaded and installed CUDA, and that does not make my rendering speed any faster, even with CUDA enabled. Anyway, here are my current render settings:
http://i.imgur.com/Jisuczy.png

That's my typical render settings. I have another profile with the FPS changed to 30 instead, it depends on what I'm trying to render. Basically I make gaming videos on YouTube and, dependent on what I'm recording with, the frame rate will be different. I know that people here have said that the original video's settings and the output settings matter toward the rendering speed. However, I have always kept my rendering settings the same for most projects so the input video's settings are not a factor here. What matters is the actual ability to render using hardware acceleration - something I cannot access with my current GPU. Originally, I had an older GPU (GTX 550 Ti) that WAS able to use hardware acceleration, but my current one cannot (GTX 750 Ti). Vegas instead uses 100% of my CPU to render a video, and it's not a particularly new CPU (Intel I5-3570K 3.4 GHZ). When rendering a video, it takes 6 seconds to render 1 second of video footage. That means a ~25 minute video takes over 2 and a half hours to completely render. That's beyond unacceptable, considering the sheer scale of videos I create on a daily basis. Add to that the fact it's using 100% of my CPU and suddenly I'm unable to do anything else that's CPU intensive until it's done.

What I ended up doing was trying different video editing softwares and a couple of them actually gave me phenomenal rendering speed. I understand that the proprietary code of the other programs makes a difference as it's not the same as Vegas'. However, using them made me wonder if it was possible for me to use different output format with Sony Vegas. By that, I mean, is it possible for me to download/install updated version of current output format or new ones altogether? What I'm currently using is MainConcept AVC/AAC which I have been told on several occasions is no longer being supported and is very outdated. However, it's the only format I can find on Vegas that supports my meticulous settings. I'm something of a perfectionist and so I strive for the very best quality video and audio output I can get. Despite its slow output, MainConcept offers me exactly that.

So, this is what I'm looking for in alternative rendering options. I need an output that will allow me to render at at least 25 MBPS, in 1080p format, the ability change the frame rate between 29.97, 30, 59.94 and 60 FPS, in a filetype that YouTube accepts and, most importantly, have support for hardware acceleration with my GPU. I know it's possible to render with my settings and get at least a 1:1 rendering speed. Whether or not Vegas can offer that is yet to be seen. In the meantime, I've been able to export the work I do in Vegas to render in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. PP is a render 2x as fast, but that's still quite slow (3x the length of the video to render). Furthermore, only having to use one program to edit and render my videos would be much more convenient for me.

You guys have helped me in the past and so ANY help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Any additional information needed about my computer is in my signature. Thank you very much.

Processor: INTEL I5-3570K 3.4 GHZ
Hard Drive: WD 2 TB CAVIAR BLACK SATA III 6.0 GB/ 7200 RPM
RAM: 2x 4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ DDR3
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H CROSSFIRE SATA 3 USB 3 LGA 1155
Sound Card: ASUS XONAR DG 5.1 CHANNELS PCI XONAR DG
Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX750 TI 2GB OC
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX V2

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Looking for alternative render options in Vegas 13.0
on Aug 14, 2015 at 8:41:34 pm

If you have a lot of effects, or even a few that change every pixel, it can take a long time. On the other hand, if you were to render to the exact same format as the source video with no effects, it'll take just a second or two and the preview window will show "No re-compression needed". What is your source video, via mediainfo?

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:21:51 am

Sony AVC should be about 2x the speed you are getting from Mainconcept.

If you want to do other things on your machine while Vegas is rendering just set the Priority of Vegas in Task Manager from "Normal" to "Below Normal". Then anything else you do on the machine will get priority and if you are not doing anything then Vegas will still get all the CPU time.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 15, 2015 at 3:36:38 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Aug 15, 2015 at 3:06:36 pm

Can you use Quick-Sync with your i5? I've got an i7 and use it a lot. I mostly use the one-click Send2Handbrake script for rendering--mostly 1080 60P. Quick-sync is roughly twice the speed as CPU only in Handbrake. You could also try TMPGEnc's Mastering Works, the latest version, which I found their implementation of QS even faster than using Handbrake. The only downside, it's about $100. These options are certainly faster than rendering inside of Vegas. As others have said, if you only use Vegas, then Sony AVC is faster than Mainconcept AVC.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 15, 2015 at 6:41:22 pm

Vegas also supports Quicksync via the Sony AVC encoder. Most of us have video cards installed so to get Intel video working without a monitor connected AND also have an AMD/Nvidia card takes a little work but it can be setup. Of course if you have two monitors and one is connected to Intel and the other to you video card then there is no setup.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 15, 2015 at 6:49:58 pm

Vegas also supports Quicksync via the Sony AVC encoder.

Only problem is that it doesn't work for 1080 renders, only 720--at least on my system. You might want to try it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]