FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Vegas 13 fix the GPU acceleration failed rendering?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shawn steele
Does Vegas 13 fix the GPU acceleration failed rendering?
on Aug 14, 2015 at 1:58:25 am

I guess older versions don't like my GPU or something so the default rendering (using the GPU) failed with cryptic messages.

I was curious if Vegas 13 fixes that for anyone? Might be my main incentive to upgrade.

NVidia GTX 770

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Does Vegas 13 fix the GPU acceleration failed rendering?
on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:26:08 am

GPU crashes can happen in any Vegas version and for dozens of reasons. There is no "A" reason. A lot depends on the driver is this regard.

That said, most have found that Vegas 13 is more stable for them than previous versions with regards to GPU.

Return to posts index

shawn steele
on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:28:37 am

It wasn't much of a crash, it wouldn't even really start. Maybe I should DL the trial.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 14, 2015 at 3:44:57 am

I agree with Norman that V13 is a lot more stable. There are two ways that GPU can be beneficial. First effects processing, which can provide better preview performance and also quicker renders, by virtue of the fact that it uses the GPU rather than CPU for processing effects. You can enable GPU for effects processing in Options:Preferences and the Video Tab. The second, is during render template selection when there can be an option for GPU assist for certain rendering formats. In my experience, GPU assist works very well for effects processing which does increase render speed, even with my pretty weak GT 650, but not for assist during the render process itself. I always select CPU only. The result, for me at least--no crashes during render.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Michael Uribe
on Oct 8, 2015 at 2:24:25 pm

I just discovered that Vegas v13 build 453 crashes after a fresh install onto Windows 10 Home x64.

What I notice, upon startup, if you watch the Vegas splash screen it will show at the bottom of the startup splash image various processes that are initiated when Vegas starts.

The startup process that causes the crash is where the splash screen shows Initializing GPU-Acceleration etc.

The system I was installing it on ran Vegas v13 build 290 just fine with windows v8.1. After upgrading to Windows 10, I now can't start Vegas v13 b453.

The system I am installing it on is an older HP DV6-6190US system. A proposed change online

suggested to uninstall "AMD Catalyst Manager" which did not resolve the problem.

The problem has also been discussed Here.

Any thoughts?

Note: My signature system information is not the system hardware on the problem system. I have not tinkered with Win10 on my MacBook Pro until I get a clean install on my test system. The test system, which is the crashing system, is an HP DV6-6190US with hardware specifications as listed on its product page online here.

I see that the product specifications for my DV6-6190US indicate a Radeon HD 6770M, and for processing, a 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz.

MBP A1398 15" Retina
16GB Ram 500SSD
Bootcamped Windows 10 Home x64

Return to posts index

Michael Uribe
on Oct 8, 2015 at 5:54:33 pm

I'm trying to fix this myself, and so far, installing the latest version Vegas Pro v13 build 453 (06/11/2015) didn't "fix" the problem.

I just tried restarting it today to continue trouble shooting the problem.

Here is the "detailed information" view info:

Problem Description
Application Name: Vegas Pro
Application Version: Version 13.0 (Build 453) 64-bit
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
Fault Module: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 13.0\vegas130.exe
Fault Address: 0x0000000000000000
Fault Offset: 0x0000000000000000

There was one proposed fix, which may not be ultimately beneficial, because it requires to use a basic graphics driver vs the one that is running now for the Radeon HD 6770M graphics card that is on the "test system" as specified in my signature block.

MBP A1398 15" Retina
16GB Ram 500SSD
Bootcamped Windows 10 Home x64

Test System:
HP DV6-6190US
2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
Radeon HD 6770M
15.6" diagonal Full High Definition HP Anti-glare LED Display (1920 x 1080)
750GB (7200RPM)
Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital and Multimedia cards
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0
2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0

Return to posts index

shawn steele
on Oct 8, 2015 at 5:56:33 pm

Did it work before upgrading to Windows 10? (Eg 7 or 8.1)?

Return to posts index

Michael Uribe
on Oct 8, 2015 at 10:39:59 pm
Last Edited By Michael Uribe on Oct 8, 2015 at 11:05:59 pm

Yes absolutely.

Sorry for not including that information in my pre-windows 10 installed scenario.

Good news is that I finally got Vegas Pro 13 build 453 to start in Windows 10 today after a few hours of tinkering and troubleshooting.

Here's what did not work:

1. Installing the latest build Sony Vegas Pro 13 build 453. This did not work. Note: I was previously running build 290.

2. Disabling the AMD catalyst manager from starting. Or actually uninstalling it completely.

3. Going directly to the AMD website and downloading and installing the latest AMD catalyst manager driver for my Radeon 6770M graphic card.

What did work:

1. Going into device manager, locating the graphics adapter driver, which was currently set to a Intel(R) HD Graphics Family driver, and completely uninstalling it from the device manager window. The thinking here, was that I speculated that this identified graphics adapter was preventing the Radeon adapter software to install properly.

2. Upon restart, my video resolutions were not set to optimum setting, which is 1920 x 1080P, but what the basic driver was able to handle. What is important to note, when I go into the device manager, and look under graphics adapter, I now have the Radeon 6770 M being shown, however with an!, Indicating that it is not working properly. this was good news, because it confirmed the theory that the Intel HD graphics driver was preventing the actual Radeon driver from being recognized.

Note: I think it's important to note, that the Device manager properties window, even when telling it to update to the best driver, while the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family driver was still being used, resulted the reporting that the best driver was still in use. I say this because the attempt to update to the best driver will report that you are currently using the best driver. And at that point naturally you feel that the driver is not the problem. But in fact the driver was the problem, even though the device manager's properties message indicated that the device driver and latest version were all up-to-date, and working.

Therefore,even though the device driver was being reported as working fine, it in fact was the culprit preventing the Radeon graphics adapter from being recognized by the device manager.

That is what finally enabled Sony Vegas Pro 13 to complete the start up process.

So now that the primary problem has been resolved, that is to get Vegas 13 to complete its start up process, I now have to find, even when I've installed the latest AMD catalyst manager, and Radeon 6770 and drivers have been installed, the device manager is still recording in error for the graphics adapter. This also prevents me from configuring the system to its maximum resolution capability.

So, in summary, this means that the problem does not necessarily reside in the Vegas 13 build 453 software, or even in the earlier build, built 290.

So the next task I have is to find out why, even with the latest version of the Radeon AMD catalyst manager, and Radeon graphics adapter drivers installed:
1. Why is the device manager reporting an error even when using all AMD/Radeon drivers and graphics adapter software and settings; and

2. Why generally the Radeon drivers not working. Possibly a setting in a GUI, or other fix is in order.

I'll update this post with the progress to that secondary problem .

Base system:
MBP A1398 15" Retina
16GB Ram 500GB SSD
Bootcamped Windows 8.1 x64

Test System: Windows 10 Home x64
HP DV6-6190US
2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz
Radeon HD 6770M
750GB (7200RPM)
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0

Return to posts index

Michael Uribe
Vegas Pro 13 Initializing GPU-accelerated video processing CRASH RESOLVED! (Windows 10)
on Oct 9, 2015 at 11:41:33 pm
Last Edited By Michael Uribe on Oct 10, 2015 at 2:48:30 am

RESOLVED!
(OS: Windows 10 Home x64)

So, after all the effort of trying to fix Sony Vegas Pro v13 build 453 fail to start crash when it starts up and tries to "Initializing GPU-accelerated video processing." Vegas gets stuck and then crashes at the following stage (image below).

And the Crash Message:

It was along journey, but it finally got it resolved.

Below is a chronology of events and trouble shooting which eventually led to the system:

1. Not crashing when trying to start Vegas Pro v13 build 453 under Windows 10;

2. Not showing an error in my Device Manager's Display adapter drivers section; and

3. Resulting in full setting capability/resolution for my system.

The short version of the Fix?

I. Uninstall" all the Display adapters in the Display adapters area.

- In my case three drivers appeared at various times:

1. AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series

2. Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000; and

3. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

- Simply right click on the device drivers and click uninstall. Work your way towards your actual Adapter's driver until you get Windws to insert the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter showing in the list. As shown in the below image.

- Once you get Microsoft's Basic Display Adapter running the show, Vegas Pro v13 (build 290, 453) should complete the startup sequence.

- However, you will most likely be not running in an optimal resolution for your system just yet.

Next:

II. Download the latest AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series driver from there site.

- Install it, it will basically run under the title of installing AMD Catalyst Manager, which is fine.

III. Restart the system.

Now check out your Device Manager, Display adapters after restarting.

You should have two Devices listed, the AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series and Microsoft Basic Display Adapter devices.

In my case, my AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series adapter was installed, and listed, but showing with error Code 43.

Now, Windows 10 appears to have a mind of its own, and at some point, it automatically and spontaneously installed back the Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 driver, resulting in my system being able to return back to its full resolution configurable ability. In my case, I got back to 1920x1080.

Now, you may or may not have the AMD Radio HD 6700M Series device reporting and error. If you don't, your done. Enjoy Vegas Pro 13.

Generally, repeat the uninstall, restart, reinstall process until a solid batch of device drivers are installed, and which allows Vegas Pro 13 to start.

Optinal: IV. If AMD driver is still reporting the error, UPDATE the BIOS

If you have an error being reported by the AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series driver, here is what I did next.

Since this was an old 2011 system, I rebooted into my BIOS to inspect the date of my old system's BIOS. Unfortunately, this didn't reveal much. Just a numerical designation of the version of BIOS installed.

For more information, I downloaded CPUID, and inspected the information there for my BIOS version and date. In my case, the original BIOS was from April 2011.

At this point, I went to HP's website, to check for and fortunately found an updated BIOS package. I downloaded it, and updated the BIOS according to instructions.

The resulting BIOS update only updated it to October 2011 as shown in CPUID's Mainboard information Tab below:

Nonetheless, upon my final reboot, the AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series driver was no longer reporting the Error Code 43, and was finally working properly.

Lastly, I did the final test to see if Vegas Pro 13 build 453 would start up, and after hanging a bit at the Initializing GPU-accelerated phase, it started up just fine. See the glorious GUI below.

About Info:

So RESOLVED!

Note: I had to install the latest version of Quicktime to install the .mov drivers so Vegas Pro 13 could recognize the format when dragging it to the time line.

Good luck!

Mike,
MikesMultiMedia.com

MBP A1398 15" Retina
16GB Ram 500SSD
Bootcamped Windows 8.1 Home Premium x64

Test System: (Windows 10 Home x64)
HP DV6-6190US
Radeon HD 6770M
750GB (7200RPM)
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 14, 2015 at 7:12:19 am

GPU renders with NVidia drivers are most times problematic.
And not all render formats are GPU enabled.
CPU does it for me, no crashes anywhere!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 15, 2015 at 10:54:47 pm

There is no reason why you cannot run both versions on the same machine. Why not run the trail version of VP13 and see for yourself if the stability is better? Then report back the results.

The R9 270x is only about 150.00 which will support the GPU features in Vegas, and is comparable in hardware specs to the 770. Which also gives a certain view into where the 770 sits, the AMD 6970 had similar specs to the 770 back in 2010. The NV700 series was released in 2013. Nvidia just has a better sales and marketing graphic departments working for them.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 8, 2015 at 7:18:49 pm

I failed to see that your system was a laptop with a HD6770M, that GPU ois only capable of about 700.0 GFLOPS. The Vegas 11 recommended spec was 1300 GFLOPs. That means the 6770m does not have enough compute units to work reliably in GPU acceleration. CPU only would be my recommendation for that system.

Return to posts index

Michael Uribe
on Oct 8, 2015 at 10:58:24 pm
Last Edited By Michael Uribe on Oct 8, 2015 at 11:08:29 pm

Good technical catch.

However, see my reply to Sean steel above why I finally got Vegas Pro 13 to start.

There are still some peripheral issues that I need to resolve, given that the device manager is reporting error even with the Radeon graphics adapter and latest driver software installed.

MBP A1398 15" Retina
16GB Ram 500SSD
Bootcamped Windows 8.1 x64

Test System: (Windows 10 Home x64)
HP DV6-6190US
Radeon HD 6770M
750GB (7200RPM)
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]