FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering speed

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gennady Gaidukevich
Rendering speed
on Aug 12, 2015 at 3:35:35 pm

Hello, I got 2 questions.

1) What makes rendering faster (CPU or HDD or GPU or…)?
2) Are there any online benchmarks of rendering?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Rendering speed
on Aug 12, 2015 at 5:44:57 pm

There is a triangle that needs to be optimized on any given system. This is the triangle of CPU, Memory/RAM, and GPU.

CPU should be the fastest for your Chipset. AMD and Intel make different chipsets, and lately Intel has pretty much released a new chipset with each processor that can not be interchanged. Intel chipset/CPU holds the speed title as far as rendering goes.

GPU should be interface compatible with the motherboard. That means you could be holding back a motherboard that supports PCIe3.0 with a PCIe2.0 card. You could also be holding back a new FURY X with some old motherboard that cannot keep up. Keep the generation of hardware roughly the same. PCIe3.0 has a much improved communication ability, which equates to lower latency, which means more operations per second.

Memory/RAM - should be the max stable Profile that you chipset supports. You can google intel chipset block diagram that will show the memory speed the motherboard was designed for. Overclocking memory can be done, but you run the risk of not knowing how many errors the memory channel is compensating for. Running the max memory profile the chipset is designed for is the best. Memory also comes in different speed timings, this should be optimized as well, but I prefer more slower memory over the fastest timing. 32-64Gb is a good size for todays video editing, as windows will use the remaining memory for disk cache. Information is always faster from cache memory than pulling from HDD or SSD.

Harddisk speeds factor, but not as great when it comes to rendering. Years ago hard drives might not have been able to keep up, but todays HHD are much faster.

AnandTech.com has a Compute section of their review of Video Cards. This Review of the r9 Fury is an example of one of the latest cards released.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9421/the-amd-radeon-r9-fury-review-feat-sapph...

The problem with this result is that the Vegas Test File used does not "Load Up" the system with the true compute power a card like the R9-390 Fury is capable of. Running the same test in 32-bit Full Levels would be a better test of these cards.

Luxmark V2 or V3 is a good benchmark of OpenCL performance, and if you look at the results comparison, you will see that this benchmark has a similar result standing to the Vegas test file. Vegas uses OpenCL devices from the virtual CPU device + the GPU device. Compute cores or "Stream Processors" are like the "cores" on a CPU. The more Compute cores a GPU device has the better at OpenCL calculations generally the card is.

AMD cards at the moment perform the best at OpenCL calculations. The Luxmark site has a ranking board that can be sorted by Single CPU+GPU. While Luxmark will use multiple GPUs, Vegas will only use 2 devices, one of which is the virtual device on your CPU. That leaves choosing the best performing OpenCL card you can afford.

Nvidia states OpenCL compatibility, but the test results tend to indicate some sort of bias towards their Propritary OpenCL standard called CUDA. It is hard to tell if NVidia is gimping drivers to lean people toward CUDA, or if their hardware is just less than AMD at OpenCL standard.

Return to posts index

Katie Hen
on Nov 8, 2015 at 6:38:50 am

If someone would kindly help.... I am filming HD interviews for a non-profit to post on youtube. I am using Sony Vegas Pro 12. I know very little about
computers but the learning curve for Sony Vegas was pretty fast.

Recently I have added two necessary plug-ins (Beauty Box & Magic Bullet) that
make my videos look very professional. I also found on google how to change rendering settings so that my texts are no longer pixelated

HOWEVER,,,,,,,,since adding the plugins and fixing the pixelated text my rendering has increase from around 2-3hours to 11+hours. I do not want to
reduce the quality of my videos but time is quite consuming.

Where do I begin in trying to reduce the rendering speed? Many, many sincere thanks in any help in this.

Return to posts index

Katie Hen
on Nov 8, 2015 at 6:42:04 am

Sorry, not reduce speed, increase speed (reducing the time)

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 13, 2015 at 12:54:49 am

"What makes rendering faster (CPU or HDD or GPU or…)?"
For Vegas its CPU.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 13, 2015 at 3:07:38 am

Are there any online benchmarks of rendering?

Here is a link to the VP11 Benchmark from Sony which is more or less the defacto standard for HD in Vegas. It's about 2.5GB. There is also a newer 4K Benchmark. There are threads on the Sony Vegas Pro forum where contributors have posted the results with their systems.

http://download.sonycreativesoftware.com/whitepapers/vp11_benchmark.zip

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 23, 2015 at 1:18:14 pm

Good luck!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia