FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I get a 4K monitor or TV for video editing?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Duarte
Should I get a 4K monitor or TV for video editing?
on Aug 9, 2015 at 3:26:59 pm

Hello guys, i'm João and i'm new here. I do video editing on Sony Vegas, and I was planning on getting a 4K display for increased visuals and workspace.

Problem is, I don't know if I should get a TV or a monitor.

TV has a huge advantage: it's MUCH less expensive. It can also be way bigger in size, turning work on 4K more manageable. On the other hand, i've heard there's some drawbacks to using a 4K TV as a computer display such as a weird coloring around text and less color accuracy.
Monitors have the obvious advantage of better color accuracy, along with being built purely for computers so everything from settings and modes are all tailor made for computer users. Problem is anything under 32", using a 4K resolution, just makes everything look really small. It's also really damn expensive, these monitors demand crazy prices in my country!

This is why I wanted to ask the experienced community. You guys think I should wait for 4K monitors to drop in price, or do you think a 4K TV works really well for video editing?

Thank you for your time :)

My machine: ASUS G751JY
.i7 4860HQ, 2.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo)
.Nvidia GTX 980M (4GB VRAM)
.32GB RAM
.Samsung XP941 512GB + Hitachi Travelstar 1TB, 7200RPM

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Should I get a 4K monitor or TV for video editing?
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:52:20 pm

I've never seen two TV's that produced the same color. Just walk into any TV store and look at all the sets against the wall and notice that no two look alike. That should give you your answer right there. TV's are horrible for color correcting because each manufacturer includes technology to alter the picture to make it look "better" than their competitor. What picture would you trust? You could try calibrating a TV with a Spyder 4 hardware calibrator but I'll bet that some simply won't calibrate correctly.

IHMO, if you want to edit 4K on a great monitor buy an Apple iMac 5K Retina. Otherwise, wait until 4K monitors come down in price. You really want to be color correcting on a calibrated monitor, not a Television set.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Edward Wrobel
on Aug 9, 2015 at 11:56:43 pm

Hi John, I'm confused. If no 2 TV's show the same color, then why use an expensive color monitor to get the color just right, and then seeing something else on a different TV? I use a HD TV (42") as my monitor and TV. I only make vid's for myself and family and some I post on my Facebook and YouTube channel. Should I worry about color correction in this circumstance? I do use levels and color curves to my vid's but that's about it for now. Trying to learn as much as I can to help me make better video's. Take care....Ed

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Aug 10, 2015 at 6:23:10 am

John is totally right when he says that a real mother will give you more accurate colors. I have an HD TV connected to my computer and use it as my main monitor. If I really want to verify the colors are correct I can drag the preview window over to the monitor and check it there. But I really love the large screen and real estate you get with an inexpensive TV compared to the price of a same size monitor. But if you do look at a high end Mac connected to a high an Apple monitor like John mentions, the picture is pristine, if you can afford it. But remember the display adapter in a Mac or PC affects color as well.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 10, 2015 at 7:50:35 am

"If no 2 TV's show the same color, then why use an expensive color monitor"
Your question made it clear you have much to learn on this topic. You say you
only make videos for yourself, family and facebook, then you have no need
for a calibrated monitor, you can stick with your HDTV.

A broadcast/calibrated Monitor is the right path to take if one is
serious about accurate color correction etc. That's it plain and simple,
no shortcuts, no TV's, no alternative can equate!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 10, 2015 at 1:20:27 pm

[Edward Wrobel] "I'm confused. If no 2 TV's show the same color, then why use an expensive color monitor to get the color just right, and then seeing something else on a different TV?"
For the same reason that recording studios use expensive calibrated monitors when making records even though some people will be using expensive stereos to listen to while others will use transistor radios... you need to have an established reference. The makers of playback equipment can determine how far from that reference they want their equipment to reproduce the sound or video but there has to be a reference to deviate from. This is how to measure good equipment... i.e., how faithfully can it reproduce the video or audio from the reference.
[Edward Wrobel] "I only make vid's for myself and family and some I post on my Facebook and YouTube channel. Should I worry about color correction in this circumstance?"
That's up to you. We have people here at the COW who record game play video and they obsess that the red in the game is not the same red as on YouTube. If you don't care, then you should not worry. If you ask a community of professionals their opinion and you are not a professional, and you're not trying to become a professional, then you should take the answer for what it is... it's what professionals recommend, but it may not be right for a hobbyist. When was a hobbyist I made plenty of videos without any special equipment and they look fine to me today because I don't care. They are old videos of my family and I'm so happy to see the people in them, I really don't care how accurate the colors are. I have a feeling you fall into this category... i.e., the content of family videos are much more important than the color accuracy.
[Edward Wrobel] "I do use levels and color curves to my vid's but that's about it for now. Trying to learn as much as I can to help me make better video's."
Do you also use the Video Scopes? That will help you get accurate without even needing a monitor. You can color balance a video just by looking at the scopes. If you are just trusting your eyes while using a TV then it doesn't matter that you use levels and color curves because you have no frame of reference to set them with. Try using the scopes if you don't already.

One final story: I have a Toshiba HD TV that has a considerably darker image than my Sony HD TV. No matter how I adjust it, it's just too dark. I guess Toshiba thinks dark video looks more like film. Who knows. The important message is that whatever TV you buy, it had better be fairly accurate, otherwise all of your videos may be too dark to too light when you buy your next TV.

~jr

Return to posts index

João Duarte
on Aug 10, 2015 at 3:15:14 pm

Wow, thank you so much for the replies guys :D

I do understand that monitors are way more accurate in terms of color, and I completely forgot about the frame of reference advantage that monitors have and TVs clearly don't. My frame of reference for video editing is, currently, my machine's built-in monitor because it's an IPS panel, has incredible color accuracy and viewing angles, and it's also native 1080p which is the resolution my videos are made. Problem is i'm kind of done with 1080p, because the workspace I get out of it is limiting me a bit and slowing alot of the editing process.

And that's why i'm here. Monitors are too damn expensive, and most of them are around 28" which is too small for 4K, and that's pretty much the only reasons why i'm considering a TV. Should I just wait for 4K monitors to drop in price? Because I don't see that happening soon...

Anyway, thank you so much for the help guys ;)

----------
My machine: ASUS G751JY
.i7 4860HQ, 2.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo)
.Nvidia GTX 980M (4GB VRAM)
.32GB RAM
.Samsung XP941 512GB + Hitachi Travelstar 1TB, 7200RPM

Return to posts index

Edward Wrobel
on Aug 12, 2015 at 11:56:43 pm

Hi John, thanks for getting back to me on this. I'm trying to learn about video editing and using SVP to make the best video's I can. Even if they're just for myself, family and friends, I do want to make them as good as I can. That's why I come here and read all the posts and learn what I can. My question was asked innocently as I didn't understand the relationship between monitors and tv's in color correcting. In fact there's a lot of things for me to learn, and in my experience asking a question about something I don't understand is the best way for me to get it. Thanks for the heads up on using the video scopes. I've looked at them but didn't know how to use them properly to good effect. It would be great if there was a book or something that a beginner could read to get a better grasp on things. That's why I come here, to see what the pro's have to say when someone has a problem or question they need help on. Thank you guy's so much for that. In closing, again, thank you for the help and explanations you provide for those of us who need help on the different aspects of this field. In re-reading my post, I hope nobody took it as being arrogant or upitty, that's not the way of this old disabled ex-trucker. Everyone says I'm really a pussycat (at 400 lbs). Take care....Ed

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 13, 2015 at 2:41:10 am

[Edward Wrobel]

It would be great if there was a book or something that a beginner could read to get a better grasp on things.

Here's a suggestion. http://www.amazon.com/Vegas-Pro-11-Editing-Workshop/dp/0240823699/ref=sr_1_...

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 13, 2015 at 6:30:42 pm

+1

Yea the Vegas Pro 11 Editing Workshop is a pretty thorough book.

~jr

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:30:31 am

[Edward Wrobel] "Thanks for the heads up on using the video scopes. I've looked at them but didn't know how to use them properly to good effect"

Sony has a 14 minute tutorial on scopes on their training page.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/vegaspro/videos

Direct link to save and watch later is
http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/video/vegaspro/vegaspro9/VideoScopes...

Return to posts index

Edward Wrobel
on Aug 14, 2015 at 4:09:21 am

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction to the places to obtain the knowledge to learn more about SVP. I've ordered the SVP 11 training manual and I watched the video on the scopes. I didn't realize that Sony had that tutorial page for free. Looks like I've got a lot of video tutorials to watch. Thanks again....Take care....Ed

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 15, 2015 at 11:36:31 pm

Good, happy editing!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]