FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to find the best render settings when editing with AVI clips

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward King
Trying to find the best render settings when editing with AVI clips
on Aug 8, 2015 at 12:58:14 pm

Hi

im not new to sony vegas, but ive recently started editing with AVI files, they are very high quality when they are the raw file.
Ive tried rendering with wmv, however for some reason, the first minute of the video is out of sync with the audio, almost as if the next clip starts playing before the other one has finished, even though the audio is synced in the next clip.
throughout the rendered video, it is visibly noticeable that the video speeds up and slows down for short periods of time, whilst the audio stays the same, however this only happens in the first minute of the video.

the video in question is a 8 minute long video that uses only avi footage, with added sound effects in mp3 and wav. sound is fine.

I tried to render in AVI but i dont understand this interleave setting. It makes the whole video jerk on every frame. when i turn it off i get no video at all just sound.

Any suggestions as to what settings i should be using for avi files to render with would be very much appreciated. i want the absolute best quality, and rendering with MP4 is just not an option as it pixelates my videos.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Trying to find the best render settings when editing with AVI clips
on Aug 8, 2015 at 3:46:11 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Aug 8, 2015 at 3:49:41 pm

Edward. You need to provide a lot more information. First, your avi files (frame size/frame rate, codec, interlaced/progressive, etc.). Second, your project setting (frame size/frame rate, etc.). There is no reason that you cannot get a reasonable MP4 render. If your rendered files are pixelated, it's most likely due to your settings. An avi file is not considered a delivery format. Screen shots of file and project information as well as a screen shot of your timeline would be most helpful.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Edward King
on Aug 8, 2015 at 4:14:15 pm
Last Edited By Edward King on Aug 8, 2015 at 4:30:23 pm

Raw file properties
http://i.imgur.com/9AREMQD.png

Project properties
http://i.imgur.com/CRTDNVT.png

MP4 render settings
http://i.imgur.com/HGVcXig.png

Timeline
http://i.imgur.com/O6PQdv5.png

WMV render settings
http://i.imgur.com/yae9y7O.png

I thought the wmv file may have just been my computer playing up as to why the audio was out of sync. Cause windows media player has never worked very well for me, so i uploaded the file to youtube, the audio is fine. but everynow and then the video blurs in and out of focus despite being in 1080.

here is a link to the video:

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 8, 2015 at 5:27:58 pm

[Edward]

The screen shots are really good. Too bad that others often don't give such detailed info. I looked at the YT video and can see where it really becomes pixelated. I gather that the original footage has no such blurring?

Here are a couple of things I noticed. First, in your project properties, you have rendering quality set to Good. That should be changed to Best. Hopefully, that's the problem. Second, in your two photos (Original/MP4), the differences are most likely due to a levels problem. Suggest you bring up the histogram display to determine the levels of your original avi footage. If its 0-255 or full-scale, you should apply a Computer RGB to Studio RGB conversion. I usually apply this on the output bus.

I can't really comment on your MP4 render settings since I usually use Handbrake for encoding or Sony AVC directly from Vegas. Same for your WMV settings.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Edward King
on Aug 8, 2015 at 5:48:06 pm
Last Edited By Edward King on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:48:54 pm

Okay thanks for that, I'll give those changes a try and post an update in a while. And you are correct in that the origional footage remains crystal clear throughout.
Another thing I might point out is that the file I uploaded to YouTube is wmv. It is still pretty clear offline and looks very good quality aside from the colouring issue however, after uploading to YouTube it is becoming blurred. Can only imagine that YouTube doesn't like my file format which is why I'm trying to find an alternate rendering format for YouTube.

They recommend avc h264 which I'm not sure how to get in Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

Edward King
on Aug 8, 2015 at 7:26:25 pm

So after editing with both wmv and MP4 using the computer rgb to studio rgb adjustment, and setting the project settings to best. The quality for both renders is actually worse. I did a clipping test with super black and super white image. And found that there was no clipping. In other words, the levels for the video are fine.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 8, 2015 at 7:41:18 pm

It is still pretty clear offline and looks very good quality aside from the colouring issue however, after uploading to YouTube it is becoming blurred.

If your rendered file looks OK, but your YT is blurred, then it's most likely a YT encoding issue that you have no control over.

They recommend avc h264 which I'm not sure how to get in Sony Vegas.

If you render to an MP4 using either the Mainconcept or Sony templates, that is avc h264.

So, it sounds like its mostly a YT problem. I notice that your YT file is 60P. You might try rendering to 30P (make sure you disable smart resampling) and trying another upload. (you could render just a loop region around one of the problem areas).

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]