FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 13 slow render

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Alexa
Vegas Pro 13 slow render
on Aug 7, 2015 at 4:48:55 pm

Sooo, the problem, as the title says, is the well known Sony Vegas Pro slow render. My problem is not a small one like "it takes me 25 minutes to render a 18 minutes video" (which would be perfect actually), it's a little bit bigger (talking about more than 1 hour for a 18 minutes video). I've tried many Vegas Pro versions, and nothing worked, maybe that's why I started using Adobe Premiere Pro. The video is pretty simple, just a 2 GB .mp4 video, some cuts here and there (30 minutes to 18-19 minutes) and some text. As I said, I've tried Vegas pro 10, 11, 12 and now 13 (not all of them with this video), and I have the same problem always. I have latest Nvidia Drivers (Windows 10 Driver) and my specs are: Intel I7-4790K, Gigabyte GTX 760, Asus Maximus VI Gene mobo and 8 GB of RAM. Just did a Clean Install with Windows 10 two days ago (Yup, this happend before Windows 10 too). And yes, I have the "Render using Cuda" on and I've tried to turn both On and Off the GPU Acceleration. My CPU is always at 90-100%. Can someone help me please? Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Vegas Pro 13 slow render
on Aug 7, 2015 at 7:11:02 pm

Render times vary depending on many things, like original file type,(Not just MP4, use mediainfo to find out what is in the mp4 container), What file type your rendering to, frame rate, bit-rate, ect. Are you customizing your render settings? And if so, what to?

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos

Return to posts index

George Alexa
on Aug 7, 2015 at 7:44:33 pm

So, I'm recording in 1920x1080 with 60 FPS, and I render using 1920x1080 resolution, 59,940 FPS with progresive download Checked (don't really know what this does) and 1 slice, with Default Variable Bitrate (24,000,000 / 12,000,000) without Two Pass. The project is set to the same Resolution and FPS (59,940) and Best quality. Rendering in Main Concept .mp4. I don't know, but it feels way too slow, same video to render with Premiere Pro will take like 20-25 mintues, but Sony Vegas gives me an advantage while editing, because I'm more used to it. Some people say that with almost same settings (and almost same specs) takes way less time, like I'm used to with Premiere Pro (those 20-25 minutes). 30 minutes would still be ok, but more than one hour is way too much.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Aug 7, 2015 at 9:12:45 pm

Try this setting but uncheck "allow source to adjust frame rate". You only need the 60 fps if there is fast movement throughout the video. If you do, it's not available in the drop down but you can type 59.94 in.Lower the fps and bit rate as much as you can and still get the quality you want. What are you going to do with the rendered video? there are other formats that may give you faster render times.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 7, 2015 at 10:46:20 pm

Your system is configured more towards Premier, that is why it is working better for you. If you swap that Nvidia card for a 290/390x, you would be able to playback and render faster in Vegas. NVidia is pretty far AMD behind in the OpenCL arena. NV is trying to push people into CUDA which is their proprietary device.

There is also so cut off on Mainconcept support with GPU acceleration. You would have look at your GPU with GPU-z Sensors to see if your GPU is even being used during render. An older AMD card like a 5770, 6970, or maybe even a 7970 supports the MC GPU encoder.

Sony AVC encoder supports OpenCL on both AMD and NV, but the sony encoder only uses GPU for effects, and motion calculations on the encoder. The actual encoding is done on CPU.

Have you run tests on the difference between the Sony and MC encoder?

Maybe render to XDCAM-EX, then handbrake the result?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 8, 2015 at 1:19:08 am

[George Alexa] "The project is set to the same Resolution and FPS (59,940) and Best quality. Rendering in Main Concept .mp4."
There is no reason to use Best quality if you are not resizing your video. The default is Good quality and this is what you should be using to render. Best quality will make your render take longer with no appreciable increase in quality. See if switching to Good improves your render performance.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

George Alexa
on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:00:09 am
Last Edited By George Alexa on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:21:09 am

Thanks guys, I'll be back with an edit if anything is changed, the idea is that I'm recording Gameplays and uploading them to youtube, so I need the best quality that I can get, but if the quality is really not changed with your settings and the render time is lower, I'm ok with it, because as I said, I'm used to Vegas Pro, and it's easier and faster to edit.

Edit: Just tried both things, render time is longer with 2-3 minutes O.o. Any more ideas? I get it, it should be long, but I don't think it should be that long

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 9, 2015 at 9:02:22 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Aug 9, 2015 at 9:44:35 am

Can you post a 5 sec stop start of this capture you are doing? Maybe post a media info display on your source media?

One more thing to try is to put Vegas into CPU only mode, change your project settings to 29.97 progressive, then use Sony AVC and set the encoder type to Intel Quicksync speed. Then Test QS quality. Then may be try enabling the GPU in preferences again, and try renders again with Quick Sync in Sony AVC. I would just like to know the stats on this, as the Gen4 I7 supports this function. You need to restart Vegas each time you change the preferences GPU setting, not the render as settings.

This guy does a good job of explaining it:

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 9, 2015 at 2:47:45 pm

[George Alexa] "Edit: Just tried both things, render time is longer with 2-3 minutes O.o. Any more ideas? I get it, it should be long, but I don't think it should be that long"
So you're saying that you render with Best quality and timed it, Then changed nothing else but switched to quality to Good and it took longer? Thats impossible! How exactly did you switch between the two?

~jr

Return to posts index

George Alexa
on Aug 10, 2015 at 3:26:30 pm
Last Edited By George Alexa on Aug 10, 2015 at 5:53:06 pm

I don't know really what happend, but the Sony AVC with gpu only (not QuickSync) did the job, for a diffrent video (19 minutes) that took me more than one hour to render, this time it took WAY less, now it takes me 20-25 minutes for a 19-20 mintues video, and the same settings as before. I hope that the quality is the same as main concept. Thank you guys, for the moment it seems like everything is working fine with the Sony AVC, I'll wait for the final video to see the quality and do some more research and I'll come back if there are any more problems. Thank you again.

Edit: Quality not that grate, changed some things, quality is better, but the encoding time is 40 minutes (for 20 minutes video). I'm going back to Premiere Pro. Can I ask something Off-Topic here, so I'm not opeing another thread? If I record in 1920x1080 is there any problem if I render in 1280x720? I guess the quality will downscale a little, but it would be really bad, or it would be unnoticeable?

Edit 2: I just tried to render to 1280x720 and the problem is that it is too blurry. Any ideas here?

Return to posts index

Jack Johnson
on Aug 10, 2015 at 4:09:55 pm

you should try allocating it more ram and that could really help with rendering speeds. it defaults to 200 but you could put it to 1000 and that should help. it could just be the video that's rendering slow because of the quality.

Return to posts index

George Alexa
on Aug 10, 2015 at 5:53:37 pm

Jack Johnson, thanks, might try that too

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 11, 2015 at 1:08:37 am

[Jack Johnson] "you should try allocating it more ram and that could really help with rendering speeds. it defaults to 200 but you could put it to 1000 and that should help."
Actually that does NOT to give more RAM to render and you should not increase it That RAM is dedicated to the RAM Preview function ONLY and it will actually give you LESS RAM for rendering so increasing it is not a good idea for rendering.

~jr

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 11, 2015 at 9:01:28 pm

Yeah. You want to keep that RAM preview at the default, unless you are using crtl+B in your editing workflow.

From what I can tell from a far, the fact that you are close to 1:1 rendering speed and doing so at with 60P material is pretty good. Most people at that are claiming faster than real-time renders are doing that on 29.97 material. With 60P you are rendering 2x the frames and doing that in almost 1:1 time.

Your hardware choice is geared more for Premier, so maybe that is the better choice for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]