FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD PVR Rocket: Problem with clips - Stutters and blurry

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zora Lee
HD PVR Rocket: Problem with clips - Stutters and blurry
on Aug 6, 2015 at 11:59:41 pm

I dont know if this is the right place too post this but couldn't find a place to post this so ill just do it here.

Hey everyone,

I recently bought my HD PVR Rocket to record games I play on my laptop, but I came across a few problems. When I start recording (via HDMI [Laptop --> Rocket], using hauppauge capture) my screen is perfectly fine but when I check my clips, there seems to be a glitchy effect or misplacement (stutters) every time I do sharp movements or turns. When I see the raw footage the glitchy effect is visible but not as much as when I render it from Sony Vegas and upload it on youtube. The glitchy effects becomes way more noticeable and certain parts of my videos are blurry when I make turns (for example; text on my screen gets blurry and unreadable).

If you take a look at this clip I uploaded you'll see what I mean

Now if you look at the top left corner there's a kill counter/tab score thingy which is extermely blurry and unreadable and it gets worse as I move around the map. But If I check my RAW footage its perfectly clear (Although its not the true color of the actual game, quality wise, ill talk about that in a bit) and doesn't get worse as I make turns and move around.

For the stutter problem, if you watch the whole video it seems like the video is misplaced at times (if thats the right word to use) and it just looks awful. If you pause the video you can see the misplacement of the clip clearly. As you play it you can still notice it and it is present on my RAW footage as well but it seems way worse on youtube. I experience none of these problems on my screen when I'm actually recording or playing just when I take a look a the clips.

Also I know this is a lot, but when I record my clips the video and quality is not a duplicate of what I see on the screen while playing, the color is way off and it looks so dull. I have to like do some next level editing too make them as close as I can too the original game play and look.

Before I got this I used Dxtory, and the quality was great and the clips was close to as the actual image while playing the game. It wasn't blurry or glitchy. (Huge FPS lag though while recording).

This was how my clips looked before HD PVR using dxtory (to give you an idea of the quality)

I recorded that with Dxtory using the lowest settings on my game and it looks WAY better and clear than that using hauppauge (my current clips w/ rocket) with the highest settings on my game.

Anyways thanks for reading and thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: HD PVR Rocket: Problem with clips - Stutters and blurry
on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:09:16 am
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:24:06 am

I am not familiar with the software you are using, but my guess is that this is very much like what happens in a camera. It is fairly easy to "freeze" an image when movement within the image is moderate. As the rapidity of the movement increases, this becomes increasingly difficult to do. There is so much data changing and changing a lot, that the electronics cannot keep up. The processor simply cannot move that much data fast enough to first display it, and then to capture and record it to a disk drive. The inability to capture a crystal clear image when a high rate of change (i.e. speed) has limits in cameras, and obviously has limits in computers since both types of devices are dependent on the speed of the electronics which must capture a large amount of rapidly changing data. This was discussed in another post recently in which, just as in this case, rapid movement within the image was blurred. My guess is that the answers lie in vastly more efficient code and/or more powerful hardware that can handle the volume of data, but even these have limits since the standard frame rate of video is relatively low.

Return to posts index

Zora Lee
on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:30:26 am

I'm using a capture card and it records in 60 fps. The raw footage doesn't have the blurring issue when there's a lot of movement just when I upload it on YouTube. If I record with dxtory (similar to Fraps) I don't have these problems.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:48:40 am

However, you said that dxtory entails a severe drop in framerate which is the same as saying that the computer does not have enough power to keep up with the data. We see that in Vegas fairly frequently. If the only problem is on Youtube, you can do a search for posts dealing with Youtube issues. Some of those suggest formats which may be better suited to Youtube. Others will say that Youtube does what it does, and there is not a lot you can do to control that.

Return to posts index

Zora Lee
on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:58:01 am

My hardware is ok, I get 80-100 fps while not recording with dxtory and when I do record it goes down too 40-59 so it's playable, but with my capture card I get no fps drop and my game play is smooth.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 7, 2015 at 12:37:23 pm

Then your problem is solved. Use dxtory and all is well.

Return to posts index

Zora Lee
on Aug 7, 2015 at 6:51:52 pm

That's not fix it's a work around, I paid for this capture card and want to be able to use it at its full potential. The downside with dxtory is there's an fps drop and the quality for my game has to be set at the lowest I just used dxtory as a comparison too show you how the quality should look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]