FORUMS: list search recent posts

Record Pop Removal

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Houghtaling
Record Pop Removal
on Aug 3, 2015 at 9:45:39 pm

I've got a digitized record track that has a fairly consistent pop - probably from a scratch on the original record. Does Vegas have a filter that would eliminate or reduce this? If so, how does it work?

---------------
My Hardware:
Core i7-5960X 3GHz; Nvidia GTX980, 16 gig RAM Win7 64bit.

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 8, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

James Houghtaling
Re: Record Pop Removal
on Aug 3, 2015 at 9:56:48 pm

Well let me help myself and if anyone wants to chime in, thanks.
I searched around in my audio FX library and found a filter called "ExpressFX Audio Restoration" and it seems to do a reasonable job removing the scratch pops with it's default setting - at least the most noticable ones in the silent or more quiet spots. If the pop is in a dynamic area of music it helps but can't totally eliminate the pop.
I'm not sure if this is a Sony filter or one that came with Ultimate S but it seems to do the trick.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 8, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:46:17 am

There is also a click and crackle remover in Vegas. Depending on the sound, sometimes an equalizer can also help to remove or soften the pop. After that, you will probably need to use something like Sound Forge or Izotope to do a really nice job of removing pops.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 3, 2015 at 10:06:48 pm

The short answer is "no". For vinyl restoration, suggest you try Izotope RX4. I do believe they have a trial. It's an indispensable bit of software for those working with audio IMHO. Depending upon the nature of the "pop", one alternative using Vegas would be to zoom in and simply cut/paste an adjoining section. Kind of crude, but it may work although I guess I really wouldn't recommend it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:22:22 pm

[Wayne Waag] "For vinyl restoration, suggest you try Izotope RX4"
+1

iZotope RX4 is the tool to use if you can afford it. Otherwise the restoration tools in Vegas Pro will do a reasonable job as you have seen.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:32:06 pm

Audacity is free and, as I recall, has a click/pop removal tool built in.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:42:15 pm

You could also try Wave Repair, shareware written quite a few years ago, but still being updated (last 2013). I used this years ago for digitizing part of my vinyl collection before getting Sound Forge and later, Izotope. It was written specifically for vinyl restoration. There is a free trial and if you decide to buy it, it's only $30. Here's the URL.

http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/index.shtml

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 5, 2015 at 4:08:19 am

Vegas itself has a click remover tool although I have never tried it, and do not know how well it works. It does have the virtue of being nondestructive.

Return to posts index

James Houghtaling
on Aug 5, 2015 at 4:12:59 am

[Bob Peterson] "Vegas itself has a click remover tool"

Do you know the name of it?

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 5, 2015 at 4:57:41 am

Another option is to do a search for VST plug-ins, many of which are free.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Michael Gibrall
on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:18:17 pm

Two recommendations outside of Sony Vegas...

1.) Audacity (free). But note that while it works, it can really strip down the music/singing/talking.

2.) Izotope RX, current version is 4 (around $300 if I remember correctly.) I used RX version 2 via suggestions here, because that's what was available at the time. It will get rid of the pops without sacrificing the quality of whatever is playing back on the record.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]