FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will extra HDs speed up a project using Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Blizzard
Will extra HDs speed up a project using Vegas Pro 13
on Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35:28 pm

Hi,
I'm new here and using the trial version of Vegas 13. I know from Premiere Pro experience that using 4 hard drives to spread out the work can help with the editing, encoding, rendering and export process. Is that true with Vagas 13? If so, is there a resource available that will show the best way to spread out the project? Thanks Tom

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Will extra HDs speed up a project using Vegas Pro 13
on Aug 3, 2015 at 5:53:33 pm
Last Edited By Danny Hays on Aug 3, 2015 at 6:01:57 pm

Yes, as far as Disc IO and if they are 7200 rpm drives, and if half the videos ore on each drive. Putting a solid state drive in will make way more of a difference though.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 3, 2015 at 7:31:39 pm

The best way to determine this is using windows Task Manager, or create performance monitor to run in the background while you edit.

Windows Key + R, then perfmon

Click the + icon, and add Logical Disk stats to the graph. Uncheck everything you do not want to see. You are most interested in %Read, %Write, Disk Queue. If you are seeing peaks of 100% on reads during editing, your disk could be holding you back. Disk Queue is another indicator that commands are stacking up and waiting on the disk to deliver.

In Task Manger some of these stats are shown as well, but perfmon allows you to record data of a large period of time.

Often times people are not held back by their disks, since most are editing AVCHD video that is generally only 4MB/s per stream. Most cheapo desktop drives from WD or Seagate can handle delivering a bunch of those streams at once.

Using a tool like Speccy, you can go into your SATA controller and verify that your drive is operating at its max interface speed, and if your SATA controller is operating in NCQ mode. If the drive is not operating at max interface speed, or NCQ, repair or upgrade this.

Normally most peoples complaints of bad editing performance in Vegas, comes from slow or not enough memory, slow CPU that does not support instructions that Vegas takes advantage of, or poor GPU compute abilities.

Return to posts index

Tom Blizzard
on Aug 3, 2015 at 9:59:19 pm

Thanks Danny and Aaron. This gets me started. I always use 7200 rpm drives, sata and esata and with an i7 processor and 32 gig of ram, I should be okay. I've just got to get familiar with the separate processes. I'd rather not have too much coming in and out of the same drive at the same time. I think that is important. If that's possible.
Tks, Tom B.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:06:55 am

This may be a bit simplistic, but really whats most important is to avoid simultaneously reading and writing to the same drive. Usually, this means that your assets are on one drive (the faster or possibly spread across drives) and you're rendering to a second drive. An SSD can definitely speed things up, especially if you're using digital intermediates that take up quite a bit of space and require a lot of "reading". The drive that you render to is usually not that speed dependent since the actual "writing" is usually the quickest part of the rendering process. Just another opinion.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 4, 2015 at 4:00:11 am

You can certainly put the source files on one drive, and the output file on a separate drive. Of course, Windows, programs, and paging files should not be on either of these drives for fastest throughput. You should probably also look at cpu utilization. Most people here will say that the cpu is the biggest factor in the speed of a render. If the cpu has high utilization, you don't need to be concerned that disk drives are slowing the render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]