FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas problem/Mirllis Action flicker

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleksandar Joksimovic
Sony Vegas problem/Mirllis Action flicker
on Aug 2, 2015 at 10:37:11 pm

Hi everyone.

I am using Mirillis Action to record my videos.
I use Sony Vegas Pro 11 to edit them.
Mirillis Action has their special codec or something that they use, its called FICV.
It also has option to record AVI or MP4 files.
I recorded few videos in AVI and I am trying to edit them in Sony Vegas.
Every minute or so there is this color flicker.
Here is how it looks :

Also my Sony Vegas crashes every now and then with a message "Vegas has stopped working" and I think that same codec(FICV) is causing it.
How can I fix this ?

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Sony Vegas problem/Mirllis Action flicker
on Aug 2, 2015 at 11:38:50 pm

There are many types of AVI, and Vegas apparently doesn't like the type your Mirillis Action is creating. I would try the MP4 and see it that works better for you.

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Joksimovic
on Aug 2, 2015 at 11:54:36 pm

That would be great and I should do that but the thing is I need these videos, they are one time special footage.
Is there any converter out there or something that can help me ?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 2, 2015 at 11:54:57 pm

I've used Mirilli's Action avi's without any problem. In looking at your screenshot, it appears that your project settings indicate a frame rate of 29.97. Action only records at a frame rate of 30 fps, not 29.97 fps. For the problem clips, suggest that you Disable Smart Resample and see if you get the same glitch. In fact, I would Disable Smart Resample for all of your Action clips.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Joksimovic
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:00:28 am

Yes I am using 29.97, I will use 30 from now on.
I mean whats the difference anyways ?
I tried Disabling Resample and changing to 30 fps but that didnt help.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:54:26 am

I mean whats the difference anyways ?

The frame rate for NTSC video is 29.97 fps. The frame rate of your Action file is 30.00 fps. Here is a detailed explanation and probably more than you ever care to know.

http://www.ecuad.ca/~mrose/pdf_documents/timecode.pdf

If you've set your project frame rate to a true 30fps, there is no need to Disable Resample, assuming that the recording was made at 30 fps. If recorded at 60 fps, then you should Disable Resample.

Since you are still having problems, have you tried simply "playing" the file in something like VLC or Media Player Classic-Home Cinema and if so, do you get the same flicker?

If the answer is "no", you could always transcode your Action avi file using Virtualdub into an avi file with a codec that is known to work well with Vegas such as Cineform, Magic YUV, UT video, or Lagarith.

You could also upload a short clip for testing by other forum members or render the clip to YT.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Joksimovic
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:58:11 am

Ou yea wait it is 60 fps, my footage is 60 fps, I just checked but still disabling resemple didnt help.
I played it in VLC and it works great, no flicker whatsoever.

So basically I just have to change the codec ?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 3, 2015 at 1:14:19 am

One other thing you might try is to simply disable GPU in your video preferences. It shouldn't have any effect since I didn't see that you've added any visual effects, but it might be worth a try. I presume that you are seeing these problems during "preview". I would also set up a short time selection around the problem area and do a test render of that loop only. If the resulting render shows the same flicker, then you can try transcoding to another codec.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:07:20 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Aug 3, 2015 at 8:08:39 pm

More than likely that was the instant the other side in the BG was pwning you with an exploit. ;)

You could also run some tests of converting your recorded footage to XDCAM-EX 1st, then edit the XDCAM footage. You may need to create a custom profile to match the 30p setting, vs 29.97. Media info will give you the correct stats on your recorded media. If your GPU is functional in Vegas the conversion to XDCAM should be faster than real-time.

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Joksimovic
on Aug 3, 2015 at 11:51:35 pm

I actually did render one part where it flickered and for some reason, rendered footage was OK.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:18:46 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:21:04 am

I actually did render one part where it flickered and for some reason, rendered footage was OK.

Looks good to me. It sounds as if you may not have a problem after all, which is good news. The only problem may be poor preview performance. Another thing you can do is a Dynamic RAM Preview of a small loop region (Shift-B). This actually builds the preview in RAM and really amounts to a pre-render. The down side is that the loop region is limited to how much Preview RAM you've allocated in your preferences. One thing I've learned is not to pay too much attention to how the preview looks--always do a test render and try it on your delivery device.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]