FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the porpose of Trimmer Window?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Márcio Nascimento
What is the porpose of Trimmer Window?
on Jul 29, 2015 at 8:35:24 pm

Hello, sorry if my question is not consistent, but what the purpose of the Trimmer Window since the events can be trimmed directly in the timeline?
Perhaps it is in vegas since before is possible trim events directly in the timeline.
Does anyone uses the Trimmer window or is it obsolete??

Márcio Nascimento
- Editor, cinegrafista e fotógrafo -

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: What is the porpose of Trimmer Window?
on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:40:15 am

Perhaps it is in vegas since before is possible trim events directly in the timeline.

You're probably right, but quite frankly, I don't know. I've never used the trimmer for basic cuts editing, always the timeline. It is useful in that you can double-click on a file (have to set this in preferences) in explorer and it will open in trimmer allowing you to see exactly what's in the file without dragging it to the timeline. Oftentimes a file name or even a thumbnail is insufficient. There is another useful feature in that you can add a marker or region in the trimmer and it will "stay" with that media file, unlike markers on the timeline which can easily change positions unless auto-ripple is enabled which I feel is pretty risky. For me at least, I don't use it very much, but I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 30, 2015 at 3:30:07 am

[Wayne Waag] "For me at least, I don't use it very much, but I'm sure others will have differing opinions."
Yes, yes I do. The Mighty Trimmer is my first port of call to quickly assemble my draft sequences away from the growing T/L. I drag from Media Manager directly into Trimmer; drag across the footage until I get what I want and then shoot that up to the cursor position on the T/L. I treat the Magnificent Trimmer as my "video-palette". My approach is to get as much of a fluid editing first-call draft from my work as much and as similar to what my viewer's experience would be. Working fast and fluid is what I've learnt to do. The Trimmer is perfect for my approach.

Oh yeah, I like the Trimmer!

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:02:35 pm

I think the trimmer window is obsolete. The story I've heard is it was included for the benefit of people coming from a prior generation of editing who learned to edit on tape machines. It is not needed in an NLE editor. I use it only for a quick check of what is on a clip, and as a second viewer for media that I am working with. I do all my "trimming" directly on the time line which, IMHO, is better suited for that task.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 30, 2015 at 4:10:47 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jul 30, 2015 at 4:13:55 pm

You are all mistaken here Gentlemen. The Trimmer is a very essential part of
an extensive editing workflow... It is not obsolete!... It is not a non essential feature!
I have not the time to go into specific details why this is so. But when you
have a broadcast or network project working on that's over an hour etc, with
multiple, i mean multiple tracks of complex edits and compositions while sorting thru
hundreds of video clips to see which one to choose that suits
the edit, Then you realize the The Trimmer is your savior!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:34:34 pm

Sorry, but I could not disagree more.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:25:34 pm

I think the Trimmer has use. For people with lots of longer media that you want to pick out multiple pieces from the media. For GoPro people we end up with lots of very long media and lots of short good bits within that media.

In the trimmer you can move along through the media looking for your pieces and the trimmer remembers its position as you send events to the timeline. Dragging a long piece of media to the timeline for each event you want one is in effect starting from scratch. Also one may not know at the start how many good bits there are in the media you are trimming from, so dragging the media multiple times is kinda a non starter there.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 30, 2015 at 6:04:11 pm
Last Edited By Danny Hays on Jul 30, 2015 at 6:36:31 pm

To each his own. I can see people that need to sort through many files, trim "once" as needed before putting it on the time line. I personally don't use it and do all my trimming on the timeline. There may be several sections of a clip I want to use, so I just split the in and out points for each section and remove the unwanted parts. By default Vegas only shows first, middle and last frames on the timeline. I switched it to all under preferences, video tab. I also make the video track taller and zoom in so it's very easy to see what parts are where. You can still drag the edges to get back what you cut out if needed. The trimmer doesn't do that. I don't believe the trimmer can trim more than once either and you have to play the clip to find where you want to trim to, and with long clips, that can be very time consuming. Besides, I prefer to use the dock space for other more important things.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:41:01 pm

You have to watch the video to find the parts you want. The only difference between the timeline and the trimmer is that editing on the timeline is faster. You split in the middle of the unwanted section after creating markers, drag the two ends back to the markers, and drag the remaining video back to the end of the approved section. On top of that, if you ever change your mind about where the "cut" should be, all of the video is still available. If the "trimmer" trims it, you have only a second or two beyond the start and end point to recover a lost section.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 31, 2015 at 5:17:26 am

Actually, Chaps, I do use both. I use the Tool that gets me what I want, when I want it. Truly, this ain't no biggie. I did not grow up in the Video Edit World, but I have been working in the arts all my life. The one thing that that has taught me is to understand and select the tool that gets me to my expression as fast OR slowly ( sometimes I need time to reflect) as is required.

Unless learning to explore the value of NLE ( here read ANYTHING by Walter Murch) just get out there and film and edit. You'll get to the tools you want. Now, back to my local government Infomercial. Nope, need to finish off my ceramic kiln repair. Nope, need to write down some glaze Triaxial calculations. Nope, just need to ....... Get the picture?

Loves yah all!

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 31, 2015 at 11:37:07 pm

lol

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Aug 1, 2015 at 1:32:34 am

[Bob Peterson] If the "trimmer" trims it, you have only a second or two beyond the start and end point to recover a lost section.
Yes that is the case, only if you create a sub clip. You can just select an in and out point and drag it to the timeline without creating a sub clip and still have access to the whole clip. The only reason I can see for creating sub clips is if you want to save the project to be used on another computer and keep it small by not have all the not needed parts of the original files. And then you would have to remove the unused full clips from the project media, and save the project with media.
[Steve Rhoden] I agree this thread has gotten a little humorous. The Vegas forums here have changed a little since I was the top leader of both years ago. But I still love it. I have learned more about Vegas here than anywhere else. Thanks CreativeCOW and the Vegas forum users. :-)

Return to posts index

Richard Jones
on Aug 1, 2015 at 10:25:22 am

I tend to do most (very nearly all) of my editing from the Trimmer. It's so easy to select the piece you want and to identify its In and Out points accurately and then place this where you have positioned the cursor on the Timeline (by pressing A rather than dragging (and you cane select audio, video or both for transferring by pressing Tab)). This saves you having to drag the event along the Timeline as well.

Richard

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 2, 2015 at 6:24:45 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Aug 2, 2015 at 6:25:49 pm

Exactly Richard.... the thing that peeves me off the most at times, is just
because someone doesn't uses a particular feature they are ready to claim its
useless. Silly lol, every ones workflow is different, and every feature in Vegas
has it's purpose!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 2, 2015 at 7:01:33 pm

[Steve Rhoden]

the thing that peeves me off the most at times, is just
because someone doesn't uses a particular feature they are ready to claim its
useless.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I for one, never claimed it to be useless. I use it on occasion, but just not for cuts editing. To me, it's part of the beauty of Vegas--it gives one choices on how to approach basic editing. Some use it, some don't, and the end result is the same. One needs to make choices based on their own workflow. To me, it's a win-win situation for everyone.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]