FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: What video camera do you use/recommend?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel O'Neill
OT: What video camera do you use/recommend?
on Jul 29, 2015 at 12:58:30 pm
Last Edited By Nigel O'Neill on Jul 29, 2015 at 12:58:58 pm

I am looking to replace my Sony Z1P war horse with something a bit more contemporary. I do a lot of live theatre work, so the following are my criteria:

• 12x minimum, up to 20x servo optical zoom
  • Card based recording
  • Able to produce low noise images in low light conditions
  • XLR input(s)
  • Connection for a pan handle zoom controller (LANC or similar)
  • SDI or RCA video out
  • Independent control of iris, shutter speed, zoom, focus, gain and white balance.

I have used both the Sony EX1 and Sony NXCAM NX5, but have found that the Z1P outperforms both in low light conditions (produces a virtually noise free image) and well as colour accuracy/reproduction.

As I live in 'the land down under', the camera would need to record in PAL, but I am assuming most camera models are made for both markets i.e PAL/NTSC

I would like to keep it below USD$5,000

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: OT: What video camera do you use/recommend?
on Jul 29, 2015 at 4:01:26 pm

My most recent camera is a Canon HFG 30. Although it doesn't meet all of your specs, it has been a very impressive camera for a modest price. It has things like 20x optical zoom, but lacks things like XLR inputs. What I have been most impressed by is its focusing system. It includes face detection, and will lock onto a subject if you simply touch the view finder to show it the subject. It also seems to have a clearer and better image in terms of exposure and color than my older XH-A1 which is a pro level camera. For audio, my main recorder is a Zoom H4N which accepts XLR input. I rarely use the audio recorded by the camera for anything other than synching the video from multiple cameras. Thus, the lack of XLR is not a problem for me.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 29, 2015 at 9:12:15 pm

The Sony X70 might be a good choice - as a bonus, it shoots a 10-bit 4:2:2 codec.

Only thing it might not have is a LANC input, can't remember off the top of my head whether it does or not.

Return to posts index

Mala Kas
on Jul 30, 2015 at 7:47:55 am

Hello,
i am wondering if the Z1 is a better Low Light Performer than the ex-1.
The ex has a 2/3 sensor and the Z1 "only" has a 1/3 sensor.

I mean i had the Z1 by myself and the LL Performance is acceptable - good, but i think the Ex-1 goes better at l-l situations.

For your case:
I would go with a pana
AG-AC 160 or the new DVX200

or have a look at the Canon xf 300 / 305

would be better for you spending a couple of bucks and borrow them before you buy.

regards

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:51:00 am

[Mala Kas] "The ex has a 2/3 sensor and the Z1 "only" has a 1/3 sensor"

The Z1 has 3 CCD's. I just found the EX1 image grainy in low light situations, plus I have had lots of gamma issues with the EX1. Purple satin fabric would come out ruby red and almost flat. I found it a very difficult camera to match with my Z1.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Aug 5, 2015 at 8:27:07 pm

[Nigel O'Neill] "Purple satin fabric would come out ruby red and almost flat"

I've been using EX1's since 2008 and know exactly what you mean. There was a graduation I used to shoot every year that had a green satin drape on the table for the diplomas and it always came out sort of flat and brownish. Weirdest thing.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:10:11 pm

If you are a Vegas editor, you might consider picking a camera that records to Sony Broadcast level codecs like XDCAM422-HD, XAVC-I 10bit-4096x2160-60p. This would allow you straight up timeline performance and stability.

The new Canon 422 codec is basically XDCAM, so that might be a good choice too.

The old Red One is a not so obvious choice, Vegas supports Redcode native, and the image quality of that camera still surpasses $5K cameras due to the 12-bit capture abilities.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Aug 5, 2015 at 11:07:05 pm

Are you guys manually white balancing your cameras before you record? If a camera is set to auto white balance and sees a lot of a particular color, like green tablecloths, the camera will compensate and can make that green not look right. My first video camera didn't have a manual white balance capability and I was getting into chroma keying so I painted a wall in one of the rooms of my old house green. When I video taped me in front of it the green color was probably 75% of the screen and in my video, the green wall look almost gray with a hint of green to it. When I do a multiple camera shoot, I make sure all the cameras are manually white balance at the shoot to a white posterboard. Sometimes it's not appropriate to be able to put a white posterboard there and I have actually used someone's white shirt to white balance several cameras. I don't doubt that even with manual white balancing, the colors may vary from different camera models. I normally use Panasonic TM 700s as they give me a pristine picture for the money.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:35:20 pm

[Danny Hays] "Are you guys manually white balancing your cameras before you record? If a camera is set to auto white balance and sees a lot of a particular color, like green tablecloths, the camera will compensate and can make that green not look right."

I most definitely manually white balance. Trust me it's not like the whole image is off, it's just that one type of fabric for like 5 years straight. Didn't do it on our old Sony DSR-300's in the mid-2000's. There's just something about that one tablecloth that the chips in the pwm ex1's didn't like. Not the end of the world, and unless you had a second camera of a different make you'd have nothing to compare it to, so people watching the video 10 years from now won't be upset.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]