FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction Problem Can't Go Back to Original Colors

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin So
Color Correction Problem Can't Go Back to Original Colors
on Jul 28, 2015 at 5:36:50 pm

I'm trying to make some videos and a little while back I used the color correction tool to edit my first video. Now everytime I use Sony Vegas and open up a new file and add in my new clips, every clip becomes automatically color corrected even without the setting applied. I would upload a clip of me talking and I would look bright orange, even though I should look tan white. It's throwing off my white balance which is really bothering me. Is there a way I can change it so that when I add my clips to the editor they appear in its original colors?

Thanks and Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Color Correction Problem Can't Go Back to Original Colors
on Jul 28, 2015 at 6:24:38 pm

Make sure that you did not save the Color Correction plug-in as a default Track FX. Open the Track FX window and see if it's there. If it is, remove it. Then save that as the new default by right-clicking on the track header and selecting Set Default Track Properties... .

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Kevin So
on Jul 28, 2015 at 8:12:47 pm

Thanks for your reply! By Track FX, you mean like the video event fx where you add in the effect options right? My Color correction isn't shown as a part of the clip I'm using, which is why I'm finding it strange the colors aren't in its original form. I tried to right click the track and then clicked "Set Default Track Properties," but the colors still aren't changing. I wish I can show you a picture of what my screen looks like. Any further advice?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 28, 2015 at 8:40:50 pm

I wish I can show you a picture of what my screen looks like.

Very easy to do. There are lots of screen capture freeware available--I use Screenshot Captor. Simply copy the part of the screen or all of it, save as a PNG or JPG, and upload.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 28, 2015 at 8:46:16 pm

[Kevin So] "My Color correction isn't shown as a part of the clip I'm using, which is why I'm finding it strange the colors aren't in its original form."
Kevin, I know you say a New Project, but please just check to see if you have the Preview FX activated. This wouldn't SHOW if you were starting with a NEW Project - that's why John is suggesting a Default Setting - but this may be your "culprit":-

Now with active GLINT FX:-

This will be for ALL Events now. But not NEW Projects - interesting....

If you By-Pass the FX does it go away?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Kevin So
on Jul 28, 2015 at 9:32:27 pm

Hey Graham, that FX button in your photograph isn't green in my sony vegas. When I try to click it, the list of effects pops up but it stays uncolored. When you say "If you By-Pass the FX does it go away?" how exactly do you by-pass the fx, sorry if that sounds a beginner question.

Here is a photograph of my screen, notice how there are no fx effects applied to the video, yet the color between the one on the preview is different than the one in the clip's original color. I have tried to render the video and it ends up using the colors from the preview screen, rather than the original.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 29, 2015 at 12:28:38 am

The FX Bypass is;

Return to posts index

Kevin So
on Jul 29, 2015 at 12:41:51 am

Oh lol I didn't know that was called a bypass view, I always called it the split screen view. When I tried to press it, it still stays the same way and doesn't change. Yeah I think the picture gives a pretty good idea of the difference in the color.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 29, 2015 at 2:32:02 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Jul 29, 2015 at 2:40:20 am

How about the possibility of a track effect as John first suggested? It has the same shape as an event effect. On your photo, the the Video Fx window covers it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 29, 2015 at 3:02:22 am

Kevin, you've got a Levels comparison going on. It took me some time for the Penny-To-Drop, but I think you've gotten into the way that Vegas Previews your Computer RGB to Studio RGB Levels in Media.

You are comparing that which you can see in Pan/Crop to that which is the Main Vegas Preview. Drop the SONY Levels FX onto the Event and select the Computer RGB to Studio RGB. You should now see the comparison in Preview the same as in your Pan/Crop. I've added the SONY Levels FX to the Main Preview Video Output.

Here is without the SONY Levels FX ( . . and yes I am using the Split Screen View button - which gives me the FX ByPass - lol!):

Here is with the SONY Levels FX added:

Look at the Scope Output. You can see the Before and After how Vegas shows me just how much the footage is stretched and then just how much the footage is brought back into "viewable" Levels. The Blacks aren't crushed and the Whites aren't blown. And now the Preview in the Main Preview has been "tamed" to reflect the same in preview in Pan/Crop.

I hope this is correct for you too?

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 29, 2015 at 1:58:57 pm

Yea, from the picture it looks like you have a Track FX applied. If the FX button is Green in your Track Header, you found the problem!

Post a picture of the Vegas timeline showing the Track Header.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 29, 2015 at 2:58:58 am
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Jul 29, 2015 at 3:13:41 am

There is a setting on the split screen control (use the pull down arrow) that will bypass all FX. If bypass is selected, then pressing the button will bypass the FX. The FX will be bypassed no matter where it is applied in the project. If the button has no effect whether on or off, then the problem is not coming from FX.

Return to posts index

Kevin So
on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:34:36 pm

Thanks guys so much for all of your help and so sorry for taking so long to reply!

@wwaag and John, I looked at it again and neither my track fx nor my video clip fx is green so I'm assuming the problem shouldn't be coming from here. I'll include some pictures of my screen again for references.

@Graham Thank's so much for your answer, it was most helpful! I added in the levels fx and it helped to significantly lighten up on the bold colors making it much closer to the original clip's coloring as shown in the Pan/Crop view of the clip. The clips are still not 100% exact, but it is close. I'll take it at this point, but if any further ideas come up I'll attach a photo for further references.

I think at this point if anyone has any further solution for getting the added clips to preview in they're original color I can still try them out, but if not I'll use Graham's idea and just try to edit the levels back to get as close to its original color as possible. Really appreciate all the help given so far!

All the Best,
-Kevin

Here is the picture when clip is first added to the track

Here is with the levels applied and adjusted

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:23:02 pm

[Kevin]

One last shot since you've used these clips before. Select the event, right click and then select Media Fx. Are the color correction Fx added there by chance? You shouldn't have to apply other Fx to attempt a correction.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:58:27 pm

Have you tried the disable FX button? If it had no effect, I am out of ideas. However, if it did, then one last place to look for FX is the video bus. All video goes through the bus.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 30, 2015 at 11:08:03 pm

There doesn't seem to be anything on his video output bus since the Fx symbol next to the split screen icon is grayed out. One last suggestion. Can you upload a short clip? I'm sure a number of us would be happy to take a look since this is such a perplexing problem and a bit of a mystery.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:47:24 pm

What are your project properties? Are you using 32-bit color mode by any chance?

~jr

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 31, 2015 at 8:32:05 pm

John, it was Kevin saying that : "Now everytime I use Sony Vegas and open up a new file and add in my new clips, every clip becomes automatically color corrected even without the setting applied. " would mean somehow he had gotten this as a new "default" setup. We need to hear back from Kevin.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Kevin So
on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:42:51 am

@John I checked my project properties and yeah my pixel format is "32 bit floating point full range."

@Graham Yeah everything from that statement is correct, which is why even I'm utterly confused why it's doing that. Both my track and clip FX settings have no effects applied, other than the recent levels one which I just added. I think something did change about my default setup but I have no idea how to set it bad to its original.

I have figured that if I throw in a color correction and a few effects I can cop my way into making the clips look as if they were the original, but otherwise the key trouble I'm still having is getting my clips to be in their original form by default when added to the timeline.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 1, 2015 at 2:47:30 am

[Kevin]

I checked my project properties and yeah my pixel format is "32 bit floating point full range."

I think this is where your problem lies. Looking at your second screenshot with the corrections applied, I see that you are using ACES RRT (sRGB), which I have never used. Suggest you change your project settings back to 8bit and see if your colors appear correctly. Perhaps someone else who is familiar with 32bit could answer this in a definitive fashion.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 1, 2015 at 2:50:34 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Aug 1, 2015 at 2:55:43 am

[Kevin]

That is definitely the problem. I changed my project settings to 32 bit and then selected ACES RRT (sRGB) as the view transform and now my colors look just like yours. Just change the pixel format to 8-bit or set it up correctly for 32-bit. Hopefully, the problem is solved.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 1, 2015 at 10:54:51 am

[Kevin So] "@John I checked my project properties and yeah my pixel format is "32 bit floating point full range." "
So this is your problem. That's not the default. Why did you change it?

~jr

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:01:32 pm

[John Rofrano] " Why did you change it?"
Is it possible that Vegas IS doing this by defualt? I suppose only if it were a "bug".

Interesting,

Grazie

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 1, 2015 at 1:17:58 pm

[Graham Bernard] "Is it possible that Vegas IS doing this by defualt? "
Not likely. That's why I'd like to know the reason for changing it. Obviously it did not achieve the desired effect. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 1, 2015 at 2:52:58 pm

[Graham Bernard]

Is it possible that Vegas IS doing this by defualt?

He may have inadvertently (or purposefully) ticked the box "Start all new projects with these settings" and then it would become his default.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 1, 2015 at 3:03:11 pm

John says not likely. Can we check the Start all new Projects tick box and see if that'll produce this Default position.

I feel we're almost there - TEAM-Cow!

G

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 1, 2015 at 3:40:16 pm

Can we check the Start all new Projects tick box and see if that'll produce this Default position

Just tried it. It does on my machine. Here are a couple of screenshots. First, normal. Then, with the OP's settings.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 1, 2015 at 4:10:12 pm

And to use the immortal words of my Big Bang Hero, Sheldon, "Bazinga!"

Grazie

Return to posts index

Kevin So
on Aug 2, 2015 at 12:24:45 am

@John, wwaag, & Graham YESSS!! It WORKS now, and my colors have returned back to normal. Gosh, this was so frustrating, my big BIG THANK YOU to each and everyone of you guys for helping me with this! I swapped the settings back to the 8-bit and removed all of the FX effects and it has returned back to its original color. I think what ended up happening was, I was following a bunch of random online guides for color editing to test out different film and filter looks and one of the guides must have told me to switch it to 32-bit as part of one of the settings/property changes. I was still learning to adjust the settings so certain settings I must have adjusted without actually knowing its specific purpose, but simply because the guide told me too.

I hope I didn't give you all too much of a hard time, as I know this was definitely confusing to solve but my big apologies if so, but again big big thank you to all of you guys for helping me with this!! Gosh, I almost want to take you all out for a dinner treat if I could haha. You guys rock!!! =)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 2, 2015 at 3:49:47 am

[Kevin So] "I almost want to take you all out for a dinner treat if I could haha."
I'm available Wednesday night?
[Kevin So] "You guys rock!!! =)"
That'll do me . . . . that'll do me.

Grazie

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 2, 2015 at 1:54:00 pm

[Kevin So] "I was following a bunch of random online guides for color editing to test out different film and filter looks and one of the guides must have told me to switch it to 32-bit as part of one of the settings/property changes. I was still learning to adjust the settings so certain settings I must have adjusted without actually knowing its specific purpose, but simply because the guide told me too."
That's the problem with following random tutorials. You need to make sure that you choose to learn from reputable sources that explain why they are doing things. There is a lot of misinformation out there from people who haven't a clue and claim they are gurus. Or even worse people who claim that have no clue right on the video but you watch it anyway. lol.

If you think you may have messed up other defaults, you can hold down the Ctrl+Shift key as you start Vegas Pro and it will reset the application to the factory defaults. Then it will be like the first day you installed it.

I'm glad we were able to figure it out for you.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]