FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering with cpu is faster than gpu?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boon Poh Ching
Rendering with cpu is faster than gpu?
on Jul 23, 2015 at 3:12:27 pm
Last Edited By Boon Poh Ching on Jul 23, 2015 at 4:34:05 pm

Anyone can help me? I used Vegas 13, with the system as below: i7 2600, 3.40 GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 cores, 8 logical pro... 12G RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium, graphic card is AMD Radeon HD6700 series.

I want to render a 4 minutes video clip, when I choose'render with cpu only', it takes less than 8 minutes, but if I choose 'render with gpu if available' then it will hang half way it render (although I wait for hours also it can't complete, just stop there)

Why? I tried many times, but the same thing happen???

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Rendering with cpu is faster than gpu?
on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:17:03 pm

It could be that your graphics card is too new. I am seeing that it was designed for Win 8.1 64 bit, and there are some known issues with it. I suggest running without gpu support, which has always had limited applicability, until Sony has a chance to catch up with the technology.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:50:58 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:53:36 pm

HD6700 what? 6750, 6770, 6790?

The 6770 like the 5770 are the minimum spec for GPU, per the Vegas 11 release notes. 1GB minimum on the GPU, and 12 Compute cores (800 Stream Processors) The 6770 and 5770 are almost identical with the exception that the 1GB 6770 used slower memory. They 67700 should function as GPU Timeline and render acceleration.

The 6750 might not do as well, since it has one less compute unit and operates at a slower clock speed.

There have been other posts in the past on getting GPU working in vegas that details out steps to try.

I would try the following:

Make sure windows is fully updated, reboot.

Run Ccleaner and the reg cleaner associated.

Run Windows Disk sweeper and clear systems files like update and old windows versions. Reboot.

Rescan for updates and apply if any come up. reboot if updates applied.

Make sure your AMD driver is up to date with the latest for the 6700.
Optional: I install the AMD SKD which has OpenCL development capabilities, just incase the core driver was not tested well with OpenCL. The SDK will make sure all components are installed to develop OpenCL apps.

Check your system for OpenCL operation CPU+GPU with an application like Luxrender V2.

Use GPU-Z to verify that your GPU is operating at the max PCIe x16 speed. Most likely PCIe 2.0 x16 on a i7-2600.

Make sure GPU is enabled in Vegas Preferences, and the render template you are using. This would be Auto, GPU if available, GPU, or OpenCL for AMD cards. There is a TEST GPU button in Vegas render profiles that attempts to see if the system sees both CPU+GPU OpenCL configuration.

AMD System Monitor is a good tool to watch GPU utilization during playback and rendering. Switching your project as a test to Floating Point 32-bit full, and rendering a test, should create a high GPU utilization. If this is the case, your GPU is assisting.

Next you may want to verify your system is not overheating during render. Use an app like Speccy to verify they CPU, GPU, and chipsets remain below 70C. If they exceed 70C you need to repair the heat sink issues.

Lastly, certain codecs function better than others in Vegas. Run some test by converting your source footage to XDCAM-EX, XDCAM422, or HDCAM SR Lite, and replacing your source footage in the timeline. You can do this by having all your source footage in a folder, rename that folder, open vegas, and point vegas at the new replacement files.

Return to posts index

Boon Poh Ching
on Jul 28, 2015 at 2:58:41 pm

After update my windows,run Ccleaner, reinstalled my AMD driver, I am able to render my video clip!!! It's really a magic for me!

Thank you very much, Mr Aaron. It's a good lesson for me to learn.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 28, 2015 at 6:01:23 pm

I am glad it worked for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]