FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captioning

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Buzzell
Closed Captioning
on Jul 23, 2015 at 2:49:56 pm

Does anyone know if Sony Vegas Pro 12 or 13 passes Closed Captioning? I have some videos that contain both 608 and 708 CC on them, and I need to convert them from MPG to MOV's and maintain the CC.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Closed Captioning
on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:09:55 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:10:40 pm

Vegas Pro 13 handles closed captioning very well.
But, you have to peruse some online reading and tutorials to
fine tune your workflow in dealing with CC.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jul 23, 2015 at 6:38:10 pm

Any idea where the tutorials are?

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 23, 2015 at 7:36:56 pm

Are you saying you have some videos with CC already on them? Then just render them to mov in vegas.

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jul 23, 2015 at 8:18:37 pm

That is exactly what I have. However when I look in Vegas, it does not show the captioning as it says it should in the user manual. also if I render it out as a MOV, there is no captioning there on the rendered file. One question however, I am slicing the test file and only using part of it in the render does this have any affect?

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:35:31 pm

If you have videos with CC rendered in the video, (Windows Media Player, VLC) will show the CC. Does it? If it does, Then Vegas will show it too. Can you post a link to a small video with this issue that we can test?

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:46:23 pm

VLC does show the captioning, however Vegas version 12 and version 13 do not show the captioning. The video I am worried about is a 1/2 hour show. I have segmented it and rendered some segments, and after the render, there is no longer any CC. It would be difficult to link to the file as it is quite large. I will see if I can find something smaller that I can link to. If may be next week before I get back to this.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:52:13 pm

Thats why i told you to do some reading online. They are their.
Google closed captioning in Vegas and one link will lead to another with
helpful titbits.... Everthing regarding closed captioning in Vegas cannot
be explained to you one time in this forum, you have to put in the effort.

Captions are not gonna just automatically show in Vegas, you have to simply
go to the overlays icon above the preview window and in the drop down list
select Closed Captioning CC1 etc

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 24, 2015 at 12:19:45 am

I've added closed caption too many of the videos playing at Universal Orlando Resort venues. I did this with Sony Vegas by having the top video track use media generated text. So when I said closed caption already rendered into the video that's what I meant. My videos have it rendered in the video. That means every frame of the video where the white letters are, which is what I used, the pixels are white. Once the video is like that, I don't know of any software, app, plugin that can remove that because the pixels behind where the white letters are are gone. How did the closed caption get into the videos of yours in the first place? I believe you may be using some plugin or app that converts voice to text, just like Google Voice does are smart phones nowadays,. Otherwise it would show up in any video player software, NLE software.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jul 24, 2015 at 11:07:29 am

> "So when I said closed caption already rendered into the video that's what I meant. My videos have it rendered in the video."

You are talking about open captions

Closed captions are just like subtitles stream in DVD (but I'm not an expert here) - you can switch it on/off

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 24, 2015 at 8:49:06 pm

Captioning in Vegas is not that hard. I am not sure if Quicktime supports CC embedded into the video file. you may need to provide a side text file along with the video file.

Broadcast codecs like XDCAM have the CC embedded into the file.

Files like AVC require a side text file for the CC.

CC marking is as easy as selecting where you want the CC, and hitting C. Then select the CC format you want, and type the caption. You can then embed the CC with XDCAM, or export the CC as a file. Make sure to turn on the overlay in the Preview Monitor for the CC version you are editing.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:11:53 pm

[Greg Buzzell] "Does anyone know if Sony Vegas Pro 12 or 13 passes Closed Captioning?"
I'm not sure what you mean by the term "passes"? Are you trying to import a video that has embedded closed captions into Vegas Pro? If so, and it's a format that Vegas Pro supports (MPEG is supported btw), you will see the closed caption as embedded markers in the video event on the timeline. You must select that event and use the script under Tools | Scripting | Promote Media Closed Captioning to generate the close caption markers that Vegas Pro needs on the timeline for rendering.
[Greg Buzzell] "I have some videos that contain both 608 and 708 CC on them, and I need to convert them from MPG to MOV's and maintain the CC."
You cannot do this with Vegas Pro. Vegas does not support closed captioning in a QuickTime MOV container. What Vegas Pro will do is create a QuickTime movie and a Scenarist .SCC file that you can use with Apple Compressor on a Mac to add captioning to the MOV file. You will, however, need a Mac to do this. I know of no way to do this on a PC.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jul 27, 2015 at 10:04:25 pm

Finally able to get back to this problem. I have a commercial that I loaded in Vegas, and it shows the captioning tags on the time line. However, the captions do not show up in preview. I have selected CC1 on the drop down in the preview monitor. Also when I render it out to an MOV, the captions are not there. Any help?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 28, 2015 at 1:31:48 pm

Did you read my post? You just asked the two questions that I already answered. I'll answer them again:
[Greg Buzzell] "I have a commercial that I loaded in Vegas, and it shows the captioning tags on the time line. However, the captions do not show up in preview. I have selected CC1 on the drop down in the preview monitor. "
You must select that event and use the script under Tools | Scripting | Promote Media Closed Captioning to generate the close caption markers that Vegas Pro needs on the timeline for preview and rendering.
[Greg Buzzell] "Also when I render it out to an MOV, the captions are not there. Any help?"
You cannot do this with Vegas Pro. Vegas does not support closed captioning in a QuickTime MOV container. What Vegas Pro will do is create a QuickTime movie and a Scenarist .SCC file that you can use with Apple Compressor on a Mac to add captioning to the MOV file. You will, however, need a Mac to do this. I know of no way to do this on a PC.

~jr

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:00:20 pm

Thanks for the answer. I guess I missed the previous one. Is there a format that Vegas will render to that will retain the CC? Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:52:39 pm

[Greg Buzzell] "Is there a format that Vegas will render to that will retain the CC?"
For HD, when you render to XDCAM HD/XDCAM HD422 MXF formats, captioning markers are embedded in the media file.

For SD when you render to MPEG-2 Program Stream format, captioning markers are encoded in ATSC format.

All other formats will not contain embedded captions and you will only have the external .SCC file.

~jr

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Jul 31, 2015 at 11:18:10 pm

We have discovered that the "Promote" option does not always work correctly (because Vegas does not always put the embedded markers in the correct location).

I have a video where Vegas reads the markers and places the first one at the 0 second mark when the first marker is actually at 10 seconds so all subsequent markers are 10 seconds off. However, if you load the SCC file that Vegas created when reading the markers, the markers are placed in the correct location. This is in all versions of Vegas I tested.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]