FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying individual masks (for "rotoscoping"), how to properly do this?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lohr
Copying individual masks (for "rotoscoping"), how to properly do this?
on Jul 21, 2015 at 12:47:45 am

Hello,

I am fairly new to Vegas. I am attempting to cut a video of a guy playing a horn, to layer on top of another video.

I have been animating the mask every few frames. It is working well so far! The problem is that I now want to go back and cut out a section of this positive mask, with a negative mask. Here is a picture of where I am at now, with the negative mask selected:

The negative mask is not carrying over between keyframes, as expected, but I thought that I would be able to copy the negative mask and paste it to later keyframes, followed by manual adjustments. Also, this would allow Vegas to fill in the in-between frames, as it is doing for the positive mask.

How can I copy this negative mask and paste it to later keyframes, placing it WITHIN the existing fully-animated positive mask?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Copying individual masks (for "rotoscoping"), how to properly do this?
on Jul 21, 2015 at 3:56:10 am

I don't think you can. What you can do is to duplicate the layer that the negative mask would have revealed. Then create a mask on that layer that will reveal what the negative mask would have revealed, and position that layer so that the desired area will be superimposed on the image created by the original mask. To my mind, that would mean it is above the layer with the original, positive mask.

Return to posts index

Chris Lohr
Re: Copying individual masks (for "rotoscoping"), how to properly do this?
on Jul 21, 2015 at 4:36:51 am

Thank you for the idea, Bob. I will try that. I need the original (horn player) image to guide me, so I will also copy this image to the new layer, create the mask on it, then remove the image but copy that new mask to the underlying footage. Seems like this will work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]