FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro: Source media with different frame rates?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Graham
GoPro: Source media with different frame rates?
on Jul 16, 2015 at 8:21:49 pm

Just got a GoPro Hero 4 and trying to decide the best resolution/frame rate.

• Is it okay to mix different resolutions and frame rates?

My plan is to use a combination of 2.7k Superview @ 30fps (POV), 2.7k @ 60fps (non-POV) and 1080p @ 80/120fps (slow-motion).

• Output will be 1080p, is it better to downsample 2.7k vs shooting in 1080p?

• It is advisable to use framerates that are divisible by output framerate? Eg: Output = 30fps therefore use 30/60/120 or can I use 80fps?

• Due to both 30fps and 60fps footage, what frame rate should the project be rendered as? (30 vs 60)

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: GoPro: Source media with different frame rates?
on Jul 16, 2015 at 10:37:11 pm

I have the new Hero 4 black too. Yes you can mix resolution and frame rate videos. I just tried it with a 4k 30 fps and a 1080p 60 fps clip and rendered to 1080p 59.97 double ntsc and it looks fine. If you have fast moving subjects in the 60 fps clip and you still want to see it very smooth, render to 60 fps. If not you may as well render to 30 fps.
Just curious, are leaving the 4k clips with the fish eye effect? GoPro Studio fish eye removal stretches out the sides of the video. Vegas can fix that without stretching. Here's a video I made showing the difference.

Use the Deform effect. Set the amount to .2 to start and adjust the curve sliders until the outer edges look straight, then use track motion to zoom in until the black areas are not visable.

Return to posts index

will sherratt
on Sep 22, 2016 at 4:06:37 pm

Hi sir,

many thanks for this clarification. How does one set up their Sony Vegas to maximise the mixture of footage?
Was performing on the weekend and we had 2 go pro's set up (cool "down the neck guitar shot" and one other). These were set to 4K at 29.97 frames per second.

We then had someone come to us having filmed with 1080i footage. It looked and sounded very good, so I was wondering the best way to set up a Vegas project to combine the different footage.

Everything has to be converted via the go-pro studio to start with (and one of the cameras we wanted to zoom in slightly), so we did all that then exported (though when we exported the files they stayed as 4K dimensions.
The phone footage was the first onto the timeline in Vegas, so I think Vegas used those settings.

Is that the best results? Bring the 4K footage into the timeline of a 1080 project? Or is there some other magical combination? We did a quick test render and the 4K footage didnt look as good as the phone footage (possibly because of the resampling)

If we do mix, is there a correct way to make sure it gets converted? The resample tool etc?
Sorry for so many questions, just no idea what we are doing and just trying to get some decent results.
many thanks

Mr.Will

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 17, 2015 at 12:21:56 pm

Mix all you want! Not a problem, lol
Danny covers the rest.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 17, 2015 at 1:24:36 pm

"Mix all you want! Not a problem"

Try this in any other editor without making an intermediate. then we will be LOL!!

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Simon Graham
on Jul 17, 2015 at 1:35:51 pm

Thanks, though isn't there issues with converting odd framerates?

Eg: 48fps -> 30fps

Should I avoid 24/48fps if output is 30fps?

Also does converting 30fps to 60fps not result in ghosting/less smooth video?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 17, 2015 at 8:41:00 pm

Have you not read our comments?
However converting 30fps to 60fps would not be too advisable.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:00:26 pm

It does work but the 30 fps clips will still only look like 30 fps but the 60 fps clips will look like it. But let assume someone wants to slow down some 30 fps and still have it look very smooth. GoPro studio has a feature called FLUX. It allows you to do this very well as it analyses the before and after frames and creates frames to go between, and it works very well.

Return to posts index

Simon Graham
on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:39:04 pm

"Mix all you want! Not a problem, lol

Have you not read our comments?
However converting 30fps to 60fps would not be too advisable."

I have read them all, so your now suggesting that I can't mix all I want.

So if I have 30 and 60fps I should render at 30fps? And I should avoid 24/48fps if rendering at 30fps?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:48:30 pm

It will work in Vegas, but you won't see 60 fps on any clips at less fps. You will see them fine at the frame rate they were shot in. Try a few small clips with different frame rate and resolution and see. Set your project settings to 1920 x 1080 59.94 frame rate, progressive, interlace method none.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]