FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13 Multiplying Video Size

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Haas
Sony Vegas Pro 13 Multiplying Video Size
on Jul 16, 2015 at 12:11:18 am

Ok, I have recently started making videos, and use Sony Vegas as an editing software(I have to admit, it is really nice), but I'm having a pretty big problem with it. It is taking the videos I make, and after I edit it, the final video is much larger than the original video itself. For example, I recorded a video with pretty high quality settings, and was about 21mins, it was apporximately 800MB to start(it began as an .flv if that matters). I put it into Sony Vegas, edited it(made it shorter even, even though it wasn't by much). I render it as a .mp4 video, with customizing the template(I can post the render settings if that helps), and after it was done rendering, the video was 2.1GB. How did this happen, and what can I do to fix it?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 Multiplying Video Size
on Jul 16, 2015 at 3:44:17 am

The short reply? Reduce the bitrate. The longer reply? High bitrates and uncompressed make for large to very large files.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 16, 2015 at 3:57:21 am

Your source file was using bitrate X and your output was using bitrate Y, where bitrate Y is greater than bitrate X.

You can use the free MediaInfo utility to determine what your source bitrate(s) are if you want to replicate that value.

Your files have a video bitrate and an audio bitrate. You can control both in your Vegas render templates.

Return to posts index

Ryan Haas
on Jul 16, 2015 at 5:09:59 am

Okay, I found the bitrate for the original video, and made it identical to the bitrate in Sony Vegas, but it didn't seem to affect it all (based on the time it takes to render it). So I did some testing, and on the lowest BPS for audio and video, it would take longer (implying even larger file) than what it was with a higher BPS. So I'm confused, cause if the bitrate was lower, it would render faster correct? So do I want to increase the or decrease the bitrate? Sorry, I'm fairly new to this, and am somewhat confused.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 16, 2015 at 7:33:27 am

[Ryan Haas] "So I did some testing, and on the lowest BPS for audio and video, it would take longer (implying even larger file) than what it was with a higher BPS. So I'm confused, cause if the bitrate was lower, it would render faster correct?"
You hadn't completed the Render and reported back here so you are making an analysis solely on the supposition that how long something takes to render. Do finish the render; see how big it is and then report back here.

[Ryan Haas] " So do I want to increase the or decrease the bitrate?"
Lower bitrates produce smaller files. And again, your "test" of seeing how long it takes to render needs to be rethought.

OK, some further thoughts from me. I wouldn't edit using FLV (FLASH?)files. I would create a DI (Digital Intermediate), maybe MXF and use that to render.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 16, 2015 at 6:44:31 pm

Changing the bitrate will not really change the file encoding speed. It will only affect the final output file size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]