FORUMS: list search recent posts

missing AVCHD templates

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danilo Deriu
missing AVCHD templates
on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:07:40 pm

hi, today i tried to render a gopro video with the AVCHD templates i had, but they disappeared, i tried to reinstall vegas 13 and then uninstalled it, and tried to reinstall vegas pro 12, i also tried to delete the program's cache and reset it by holding CTRL+SHIFT+double click on the vegas icon;but none of these worked, is there any way to download or reinstall the templates?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: missing AVCHD templates
on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:27:06 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:29:49 pm

I presume these are ones that you've created and those are the ones missing? The location for the templates you create are "C:UsersWayneAppDataRoamingSonyRender Templates". Go to that location,using your user name, and see if those templates are still there. If not, they have to be recreated. If they are still in that location, make sure you have logged in as the user associated with those templates. If that doesn't work, try a system restore to a previous time when they were working.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Danilo Deriu
on Jul 9, 2015 at 5:51:48 pm

i'ts not only the ones that i've created that disappeared, even the default ones disappeared
how do i do a restore?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 8, 2015 at 9:58:25 pm

Also make sure you have not accidentally clicked "show favorites only" in the render as dialog. Or any of the other filter check options. These filters might hide your templates and these check options are sticky.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 9, 2015 at 11:05:52 am

[Norman Black] "Also make sure you have not accidentally clicked "show favorites only" in the render as dialog. Or any of the other filter check options. These filters might hide your templates and these check options are sticky."
+1

I'm guessing you have a filter set that is hiding them. Also check that "show only compatible templates" is not checked.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Danilo Deriu
on Jul 9, 2015 at 5:52:50 pm

i do not have any filters on

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 9, 2015 at 6:37:27 pm

Have you tried accessing the templates with a previous project where you know they were available and that they worked? If they show up for the previous project, perhaps there is something different about this gopro file.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:21:14 pm

i'ts not only the ones that i've created that disappeared, even the default ones disappeared
how do i do a restore?

Before doing a system restore, make sure that everything is backed up and programs are closed. Here are the steps for Win 7:
1. Left-click Start Button
2. Right click Computer and select Properties
3. In upper left window, left click on System Protection
4. This will bring up the System Properties Window
5. Left click on System Restore. This will start a wizard leading you through the process. Select a restore point when your system was working OK.
Just be aware that restoring to a previous time will delete any program changes that have since been made. There is an option to scan and see what programs would be affected. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 10, 2015 at 12:07:05 pm

It would, of course, be far better to have an actual back up to fall back on. My current backup program is Acronis True Image which has saved me on several occasions. Windows backup/restore has not been particularly effective in most cases.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 10, 2015 at 1:13:08 pm

[Bob Peterson] "My current backup program is Acronis True Image which has saved me on several occasions. "
+1

Acronis True Image is worth it's weight in Gold! Saved me several times as well. Back when I used a Windows workstation I had it set up to do daily incremental backups so I was never more than a day away from having my workstation work exactly as it did yesterday.

Now that I use a Mac, Apple's Time Machine performs incremental backups hourly! It automatically rolls hourly into daily, into weekly, into monthly backups. It's an awesome backup strategy that comes with the OS. Blows away Microsoft's pitiful system restore.

Here is something most PC users don't know: A Mac can restore from a bare drive and nothing else!!! That's right. I can have a hard drive crash, buy a new drive and place it into my Mac and boot with no OS! The Mac has enough information in ROM to connect to Apple's servers, bootstrap a small kernel and install the latest OS from Apple's servers, then prompts you to connect to your Time Machine backup and completely restore your computer. Once you use a Mac you'll wonder how to tolerated Windows ineptness as an OS (sorry to preach but I couldn't resist) ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 10, 2015 at 3:37:26 pm

@Bob

It would, of course, be far better to have an actual back up to fall back on. My current backup program is Acronis True Image which has saved me on several occasions.

Agree completely. I also use Acronis for weekly backup of my OS, although quite frankly, I can't remember the last time I've had to use it, if ever. Guess I've been lucky. I also do daily backups of all data and project files using a very old piece of software called Backup Magic Editor, which I have used fairly often. It's easy to really delete something in Vegas, and not send it to the Recycle Bin. Actually, that would be a useful option.

@jr

(sorry to preach but I couldn't resist)

Let's face it. You're the stereotypical MAC user--always touting your toys--the 1% of the computer world. My son-in-law is just like that. My daughter, at least, is still a PC user, although I'm afraid that by co-habitating with a Mackie, she may become infected one day. All kidding aside, that is pretty neat about restoring your OS online, although it would seem a lot slower than restoring from another hard drive, especially if you have a slow internet.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 10, 2015 at 4:08:38 pm

[John Rofrano] "Once you use a Mac you'll wonder how to tolerated Windows ineptness as an OS (sorry to preach but I couldn't resist) ;-)"

Some cults must be more fun than others. Apple must have really tasty cookies at the gatherings. I wonder if those cookies have any secret ingredients.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 10, 2015 at 5:04:51 pm

I wonder if those cookies have any secret ingredients.

Wouldn't know, but you can be sure they're proprietary.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 10, 2015 at 5:12:40 pm

I call it the cool aid. ;-)

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 10, 2015 at 9:56:28 pm

[Norman Black] "Some cults must be more fun than others. "
It's just that you don't know how bad you have it until you see how good it can be. When I started using my first Apple product and I went to configure my email and it asked for my email id and password and the next thing I know I was in my email! How could that be? Doesn't it need to be configured first? How come it didn't ask me what my SMTP servers was or my POP3 server, or if I wanted to use IMAP? Windows forces me to answer all of those questions before it can figure out how to talk to my mail server. Surely they must be important questions and everyone knows the answer to??? ...apparently NOT! :-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 11, 2015 at 2:27:54 am

Sorry John, but I haven't even thought about things like SMTP or POP3 since the days of 1800 baud modems. I would hate to think that your use of Windows had not advanced beyond that point. These days in Windows, you tell it to connect to a particular internet provider, and, with the correct ID and password, its done. Email is accessed through a browser, and Windows doesn't have much to do with it. It's even easier with a direct broadband connection. No fuss, no muss, no bother. Windows just does it.

If you are on Wifi, you need to learn to set your own encryption key. However, if Apple does not require the same thing, I would not trust the security at all. Only a foolish person leaves things at their default values. That is where I think Apple will get nailed one of these days. Hackers will slide through default values in security, and you will never know that they are there. I suspect most Apple users never even think about good security.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 11, 2015 at 11:48:44 am

[Bob Peterson] "I haven't even thought about things like SMTP or POP3 since the days of 1800 baud modems. I would hate to think that your use of Windows had not advanced beyond that point."
It was back in the days of Windows XP which wasn't that long ago and I believe that when Windows XP was introduced people were still using modems. I went from Windows XP to Windows 7, I don't know how easy Windows 8 is to use but Microsoft has been steadily copying Apple to try and make Windows more user friendly. I guess this has more to do with your email client which for me was Microsoft Office 2003 at the time.
[Bob Peterson] "If you are on Wifi, you need to learn to set your own encryption key. However, if Apple does not require the same thing, I would not trust the security at all."
That's handled way before you get to your email. In fact, in the scenario of replacing your hard drive, when you boot with no OS and the ROM takes over, the first thing it does is search for networks and ask for your network password so that it can connect to your network before it contacts Apple's servers so yes, it absolutely handles encryption keys properly. Speaking of encryption, OS X has a password vault built-in. Something you must buy as an add-on to Windows. So all of my passwords are automatically generated for me (if I want, and I do use this feature) and stored securely and used when appropriate. OS X is way more secure than Windows because it's a proper Unix system where no one runs as super user and everything works, unlike Windows where you need to become an administrator to get most of the software working properly. I'll take Apple's Unix security of Windows security any day.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 11, 2015 at 1:23:26 pm

Yes, you must buy password management for Windows. I think mine started off free, and I eventually paid 20 or 30 bucks for a more advanced version. The advantage is that there is a much smaller profile to be attacked. In the Apple world, it is a monolithic target that everyone knows you are using. It is a big target on your back. In my world, I hope my software is essentially invisible to the attackers. It is fully encrypted, and I am able to incorporate my best understanding of a strong password. It strikes me as conceit for Apple to think that it can think better than everyone else, and come up with better answers than everyone else. I like the Windows world where many different people compete, and there are many good ideas percolating their way to the top of the heap. That, in my view, is much more likely to produce the best answers and solutions.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 11, 2015 at 10:12:11 pm

[Bob Peterson] "It strikes me as conceit for Apple to think that it can think better than everyone else, and come up with better answers than everyone else. I like the Windows world where many different people compete, and there are many good ideas percolating their way to the top of the heap. That, in my view, is much more likely to produce the best answers and solutions."
While that looks good on paper, in practice it doesn't always work. Sometimes it leads to fractured platforms where nothing works end-to-end. I've experienced this with DNLA. I bought all these components (both hardware and software) that were "supposed" to be DNLA compatible and in the end I could not put together a solution that worked together. Each manufacturer just blamed the other for not working. But when I bought my Apple TV and sent a slide show with music from my iPad to it with a single click, there was no way I was going to fight with Windows software and DNLA vendors again about why their component didn't work. Apple is a company that likes to own the solution end-to-end. Some people don't like that... I do because it produces complete solutions.

I know you don't share that belief but there are customers like myself who don't want to know the details, we just want the darn thing to work. I don't care about having a choice. I just want to know the one way that actually works. People who want choices don't like this. I get it. But I would gladly give up my choice for a solution that works. I'm tired of building my own computers. I'm tired of tinkering. I just want to create and have the tools to create without having to build something that works first.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 12, 2015 at 12:42:05 pm

Apple TV? Point made.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 10, 2015 at 5:11:36 pm

While restoration from the cloud sounds nice, this old PC user has seen a lot come and go. What happens when the cloud is hacked, as it will be, or when the server with your backup crashes and burns? There are all sorts of scenarios for what can happen to your data when it is sitting on someone else's equipment. However, my guess is that you, as a cautious man, already has those bases covered.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 10, 2015 at 7:36:37 pm

[Bob Peterson] "While restoration from the cloud sounds nice, this old PC user has seen a lot come and go. What happens when the cloud is hacked, as it will be, or when the server with your backup crashes and burns?"
It's not a backup from the cloud. Time Machine is backing up and restoring from a local disk. Only the OS is coming from the cloud and it's pretty fast considering. I've used it when going from an HDD to SDD and it works quite well. Of course, after using a PC for 30+ years, I did waste most of my day the first time looking for how to obtain boot media until I realized that you didn't need any! ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 11, 2015 at 2:38:08 am

Then I don't see the advantage. There are many products that do continuous backups. Personally, I am not concerned if the Win boot drive crashes. It is a simple matter to replace that drive, and reinstall Windows. All of my applications and data are located on other drives, and all of my data is backed up on secondary drives. The difference is that my machine is not bogged down doing continuous backups. I could run it that way, but I choose to avoid that overhead. I decide what and when to backup, and therein lies the difference between Apple and Windows. I make those decisions. The OS doesn't force me into its mold.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 11, 2015 at 11:52:09 am

[Bob Peterson] "I decide what and when to backup, and therein lies the difference between Apple and Windows. I make those decisions. The OS doesn't force me into its mold."
Apple doesn't force you to use TimeMachine. You can choose not to turn it on. It's a choice. The point is that almost all Apple users take advantage of TimeMachine while almost no Microsoft users backup their Windows computer. (When was the last time we told someone to restore from their backup on this forum and they actually had one???) So for advanced users like yourself it's great. Everyone else is unprotected on Windows.

~jr

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 11, 2015 at 3:22:26 am

Windows 10 will be "on the cloud" like the MAC O/S. Also, like the MAC, it will be locked to the PC. With current Windows discs, you can replace your whole PC and reinstall windows on the new one. Starting with Windows 10, if your PC dies, your license for Win10 also dies. You will have to buy another license.

I really wonder how outfits like Ziff-Davis (various tech magazines) or CPU Magazine will handle this. They build setups on the bench to run tests. They may go through multiple GPUs, multiple processors, different memory configurations, all of which may trigger a requirement for a new O/S license.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 11, 2015 at 4:35:31 am

@Bob.

Agree completely. The whole Apple business model has been to make everything proprietary, so once you buy, you're stuck. Rather than a $2 usb cable, it's $10 for a lightning cable. There's no USB on today's Ipad's unless you buy something else. The rumor has it that the new 13" Ipad "may" have USB3.0. Granted, the products are very good so long as you're willing to stay within their narrow confines and limitations. Having built my own systems for the last 15 years or so, I take some comfort that I know exactly what went into them and that I have options for changing at will.

@Steve

Starting with Windows 10, if your PC dies, your license for Win10 also dies.

That's been the case for a long time if you buy the OEM version of the software--the same as if you buy a complete system with the OS already installed. I can't see that downloading the original OS from the Web would prevent you from making backups using Acronis and then being able to restore if there is a hard drive failure.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 11, 2015 at 1:04:01 pm

[Stephen Mann] " Also, like the MAC, it will be locked to the PC."
The Mac isn't like that at all. Unlike Windows, when I purchase something from the Mac App Store, the license is given to me, not the computer. I can install it on every Mac that I own. When I get a new Mac, I can install all if my purchases to that Mac as well. I bought one copy of Final Cut Pro X and it's installed on both of my Mac Pro's my MacBook Pro, and my Mac Mini all with one purchase. The same is true for the Mac office suite (Pages, Numbers, & Keynote) You can't do that with Microsoft Office. The same is true for OS X. Upgrades are free and I can install them on any Mac that I own. So my 2008 Mac Pro that came with OS X Leopard was upgraded for free to OS X Yosemite. It's quite "unlike" Windows. These are some of the reason's a switched to the Mac after 30+ years of using a PC. I got tired of the restrictions.
[Stephen Mann] "With current Windows discs, you can replace your whole PC and reinstall windows on the new one. Starting with Windows 10, if your PC dies, your license for Win10 also dies. You will have to buy another license."
In the past that was dependent on your license. If you bought the OEM discs they were locked to your PC. If you bought the Retail discs you could re-install on a new PC. So Windows 10 is no different than the current OEM license. I'm wondering if they will continue this? In other words, Microsoft is giving you an OEM license for free but you can purchase a Retail license to install multiple times? I don't know if they will do this but Apple OS X is always free since OS X Mountain Lion. Previous versions were $19.95 which was still way cheaper than Windows.
[Stephen Mann] "I really wonder how outfits like Ziff-Davis (various tech magazines) or CPU Magazine will handle this. They build setups on the bench to run tests. They may go through multiple GPUs, multiple processors, different memory configurations, all of which may trigger a requirement for a new O/S license."
This is also a huge problem for software developers like myself. I test all of my VASST Plug-ins with all combinations of Windows Vista/7/8, Vegas Pro 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and Movie Studio. I use virtual machines to do this. If you change the virtual machine, it triggers a new license. What I have been doing is using Windows in trial mode for testing because there is no other way to use it legitimately.

~jr

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 12, 2015 at 2:51:09 am

I can't remember the last time I bought a PC already built. I always bought the retail version of Windows, but as I understand 10, it is only available online and when you install it, you have to let the PC Phone Home to activate the license, and be locked to the PC. You can do an acronis backup and there are instructions floating about for making an ISO disc, but once activated, the license will only work on that machine, in that configuration of processor and motherboard.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 12, 2015 at 4:38:22 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Jul 12, 2015 at 4:39:38 am

when you install it, you have to let the PC Phone Home to activate the license, and be locked to the PC

That's the way it's always been for ready-built systems or user-built systems using an OEM version of the software. For ready-built systems, they've already "phoned home".

wwaag

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 12, 2015 at 5:38:37 am

Yes, but I could always retire an old PC and reinstall the OS on another PC and activate it online. you won't be able to do that with 10.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 12, 2015 at 1:39:13 pm

[Stephen Mann] "Yes, but I could always retire an old PC and reinstall the OS on another PC and activate it online. you won't be able to do that with 10."
Stephen, I believe that you and Wayne may be talking about different things. You said that you always buy the Retail version which can be installed on another PC and Wayne is talking about the OEM version which can only be installed on one PC and is locked to it. The free upgrade to Windows 10 works like the later. Microsoft has announced that you can purchase the full Retail version of Windows 10 Professional for $199. This is consistent with the current retail pricing. I always purchase the OEM version which is a lot cheaper but it only re-installs onto the original computer that you installed it on. If you make changes to that computer and it triggers the license, you can call Microsoft and plead your case and usually get a new authorization key.

Once again, I don't fancy calling a company begging them to use the software that I already paid good money for which is why I switched to Mac. I'm done with any software company that restrict their software to a single device and a device that must remain unchanged for years. That just doesn't happen anymore. People switch devices and upgrade devices all the time. Microsofts draconian copy protection is just treating their paying customers like criminals. The pirates are already running their software without any of these inconveniences. I'm not going to support companies that treat their customers like that.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]