FORUMS: list search recent posts

My videos seem blurry and I don't know how to fix them.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Hernandez
My videos seem blurry and I don't know how to fix them.
on Jul 7, 2015 at 1:36:44 am
Last Edited By Sebastian Hernandez on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:59:55 pm

Hi, I have searched all over the internet to find out how to fix this problem, but I could not find anything. I have had this forever and I have no idea how to get rid of it. If you notice in the video linked below, around 0:20 - 0:23 the background blurs and and seems to lose quality. (I noticed it a lot in the vines around that time). I don't know what is making this happen. When I record the video and watch it (without rendering), it seems completely fine and clear. I record with Fraps in 720p and render in 720p. I would like my video to be like the quality in the second video. Thank you for anyone that can help me!

My video:

Quality I would like it to be video:

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: My videos seem blurry and I don't know how to fix them.
on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:16:57 am

If you search this forum, you will find this a common issue with
game capture source, and i have commented on this issue so many times!
AGAIN, game capture footage are not edit friendly, you will have
these issues or other issues no matter what you do or what you use...

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 7, 2015 at 3:02:32 am

I think you are seeing something that virtually no one else will ever see. Things are moving past so rapidly that it is hard to see any detail at all.If you are talking about the sky when you say "background", I saw no noticeable differences between the two videos.

I'm not sure who your intended audience is, but I am quite sure that the average person will not see what you are obsessing over. Anyone who can see a difference between these two, fast moving videos has way too much time on their hands. I'm just sayin....

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:04:53 am

[Sebastian Hernandez] "If you notice in the video linked below, around 0:20 - 0:23 the background blurs and and seems to lose quality. (I noticed it a lot in the vines around that time). I don't know what is making this happen."
It's happening because of the way that particular video codec (AVC/H.264) handles compression. It's recoding a Group of Pictures that is 15 frames long (called Long GOP). Only one in every 15 frames is a whole frame and the rest are delta and predictive frames that only contain the differences from the last full frame. Just before 0:20 the entire picture changes to show that big grey square with the black background. When the square disappears, the scene changes so much that the delta frames can't possible display the difference with great accuracy so the scene looks blurry until the next full frame can refresh all of the pixels. It's inherent in the way MPEG4 encoding works. FRAPS does't use Long GOP so it doesn't have this problem. YouTube does.

I agree with Bob. I can't see the difference between the videos. They both get blurry at points and then look clearer again. It's just the way that video encoding works. The only way to get rid of it is to not use a Long GOP codec which you don't have any control over, because YouTube does.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Sebastian Hernandez
on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:59:25 pm

I'm sorry that was the same video in each. Here is a video example of how I would like the video to be:

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 7, 2015 at 5:05:14 pm

[Sebastian Hernandez] "Here is a video example of how I would like the video to be: "
This map has a lot more solid gray colors that yours which was mostly the green with a lot of variations. That could be one reason his is cleaner although he may be using a better encoder like Handbreak.

Why don't you just ask him how he processes his video?

~jr

Return to posts index

Sebastian Hernandez
on Jul 7, 2015 at 6:15:00 pm

Here is another video that is played on the same map. And how would I use a better encoder like handbreak? Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:02:32 pm

[Sebastian Hernandez] "And how would I use a better encoder like handbreak?"
You output to a lossless format like Lagarith from Vegas Pro and import that into Handbreak and have it create your mp4 file for you. I don't bother doing this so I can't give you any particulars about what parameters to tweak but you should really ask that person what they use because not all encoders are the same.

~jr

Return to posts index

Sebastian Hernandez
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:39:56 pm

I tried this and I still get the same quality. I don't know him personally so i wouldn't be able to ask cause he probably won't respond. I have no idea how to remove it because most people I watch don't have this problem

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:51:15 pm

Is your intent to share on-line ..... is so then no matter what you do Youtube will alter quality as it transcodes uploads.
Worth looking at Vimeo .. and in particular the section on encoding:
https://vimeo.com/help/compression

Vimeo provides HD quality if user chooses to playback in HD .......... with Youtube there are several playaback options but none as good as Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Hernandez
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:52:41 pm
Last Edited By Sebastian Hernandez on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:54:27 pm

No but I want it on youtube. Not only that but there are tons of people on youtube that do the same types of videos and never have this problem.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:54:48 pm

One thing to always remember. If your encode from Vegas looks good but the Youtube result does not then there is nothing you can do. It is what it is.

Youtube re-encodes everything uploaded and their bitrate, like all internet video servers, is quite low and some source material just does not compress well enough to maintain quality. When the bitrate is not enough you see quality drop but then it usually comes back up when the source material compresses better.

So you can look at someone else's video and it seems fine, and you can use their exact encode and upload process, but it may not help your video because your source material is not exactly theirs.

The "internet" templates in Mainconcept AVC and Sony AVC are a good place to start. If one wants a smaller file to upload, then going to x264 via Handbrake or ffmpeg or similar is another way to go. Not sure how much time this might save. With the former you can be uploading while with the later you need a second encode before you can start an upload. It depends on the size of the upload and your internet speed.

This site and others need a "sticky" thread at the top since this video game, low quality, Youtube result question comes up most every week.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Hernandez
on Jul 7, 2015 at 8:01:55 pm

What do you mean source material is not theirs?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 7, 2015 at 9:41:06 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Jul 8, 2015 at 5:03:02 pm

[Norman Black] "So you can look at someone else's video and it seems fine, and you can use their exact encode and upload process, but it may not help your video because your source material is not exactly theirs."

[Sebastian Hernandez] "What do you mean source material is not theirs?"

Your video is not exactly like the other one you are comparing to. Each frame in succession is not the same between your video and some other game video you are comparing to on Youtube.

Video compression in codecs like AVC/H.264 is highly variable and the amount of compression that can be done really depends on the exact sequence of video frames and how similar those frames are. The bitrates offered by Youtube/Vimeo are quite low and the get a quality level most would consider "high" your video needs to be capable of high compression. Otherwise quality suffers noticeably.

Most video game material has very jerky movement which is difficult to compress. First person type movement also is more difficult to compress.

I have direct experience first person movement. With my GoPro mounted to my mountain bike that is first person movement. My camera footage is crisp. My renders from Vegas are crisp. Internet video is only just okay. Stabilization helps in my circumstance.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Hernandez
on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:40:40 pm

But there has to be something I am doing or some way to fix this. You can clearly see in this video of mine the blurry/pixelated areas that happen.\\

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 10, 2015 at 2:20:24 pm

You seems to not fully understand what is being said to you here!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]