FORUMS: list search recent posts

VEG file corrupt?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Houghtaling
VEG file corrupt?
on Jul 6, 2015 at 4:25:54 am

Vegas V11 - I have a half hour project which I've rendered several times. My last set of edits were to change all of the transitions (about 80) from simple cross fades to Luminance Film-Style Optical. Now the project file will not preview at all without immediately crashing vegas. I can scrub along the timeline just fine and even make edits. It will even allow me to run a Shift-B Ram buffer but will crash as soon as I try to preview that preRam buffered section. It will also crash as soon as I try to render the file. It also crashes sometimes right after I load this veg file..but not always. I tried to trouble shoot the file by selectively isolating each track and one by one adding other tracks while it plays. And doing this I'm able to get all tracks turned on while playing in preview.

I opened the last saved version and it seems fine. I downloaded the trial version of V13 and it loads the problem file (save the fact that I did not install BCC8 so it didn't see those) but at least it seems to preview fine. I know BCC8 effects can be hogs but I'm only using one lens flare and that was present when before I had problems.

So maybe this veg file got corrupt somehow? I've got a lot of edits in this last file which would take a while to re-do (thank god I saved a hand written list of things I changes since last render). Any ideas?
If this helps, here's the crash report details.

All my drivers are up to date. I have GPU render turned off because for some reason vegas never would render with it on.

Thanks.

Problem Description
Application Name: Vegas Pro
Application Version: Version 11.0 (Build 701) 64-bit
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
Fault Module: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0\External Control Drivers\spconsoleopt.dll
Fault Address: 0x000000002F534C37
Fault Offset: 0x0000000000004C37

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0\vegas110.exe
Process Version: Version 11.0 (Build 701) 64-bit
Process Description: Vegas Pro
Process Image Date: 2012-09-24 (Mon Sep 24) 20:55:36

---------------
My Hardware:
Core i7-5960X 3GHz; Nvidia GTX980, 16 gig RAM Win7 64bit.

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 8, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: VEG file corrupt?
on Jul 6, 2015 at 8:56:04 am

[James Houghtaling] " . . . spconsoleopt.dll"
What's that? Do you recognize the s/w or device that uses this? Do a search on your PC for - spconsoleopt.dll - and get back here.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

James Houghtaling
on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:30:02 pm
Last Edited By James Houghtaling on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:37:35 pm

The dll file description for spconsoleopt.dll is "Sony Mixer Console Plug."

It's found in the Sony/VegasPro11.0/External Control Drivers folder.
Seeing that I have the V13 demo installed, I replaced the V11 dll with the one found in V13's folder.

V11 still crashes in the same way but now the error reports the fault at C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0\vegas110k.dll (the main application driver?)

Even when I switched back to the old spconsoleopt.dll it's still now showing vagas110k.dll as the culprit when vegas crashes upon loading the veg. But seems to crash via spconsoleopt.dll if vegas doesn't crash immediately upon loading but when I try to preview.

Considering the fact that my previous version veg files still work, I don't believe the dll is the real problem. But that's just my logic speaking.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 8, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

James Houghtaling
on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:50:40 pm

OK, so I re-discovered Ultimate S's ability to do a mass change to all of the transitions - duh. So I went back to my last good veg file and changed all of the 80+ transitions (previously done by hand) and tried to preview the file. Crash.

Then I went back to the bad file and changed all of the Luminance transitions back to default cross fades, and now the file is previewing and rendering (so far) fine.

So it appears Vegas does not like too many luminance transitions? I use them nearly all of the time in lieu of cross fades because I just like them. Perhaps I've never used this many... but I doubt that. I don't have time to test how many I can get away with so for now I'll do without unless one of you smart guys can point to a fix?

I noticed when I installed V13 Trial, that the Luminance transition shows up. Is this because it is now a default transition for Vegas? The version of Luminance I use now (in V11) is SMLuminance64.exe ((c)2003-2011 Scott Moore) which I installed myself. Or is V13 just seeing it because I had it installed for V11?

Speaking of V13, is it time for an upgrade? V11 is still a crash monster that I've learned to live with by using an auto saver every minute (annoying). And not being able to take advantage of my 980GTX GPU seems a shame. I haven't kept up with the Vegas bashing but was wondering if it's seen as a major stability improvement - because frankly, there are no new features that I can't live without.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 6, 2015 at 9:38:57 pm

Sounds like you've hit a bug in version 11, and that the bug is fixed in 13. If so, it looks like two choices. Upgrade to 13, or don't use the changes that trigger the bug.

Return to posts index

James Houghtaling
on Jul 6, 2015 at 9:47:05 pm

Excellent deduction Bob. Now that this project followed choice two, I'm looking for other reasons to upgrade. Feature wise 13 doesn't scratch any of my itches. If it were largely more stable, I'd think about it.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:44:47 am

If you can live without the feature, you may be better off to wait for version 14. That's my plan. I am still on version 12, and not missing 13.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]