FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD files in mov containers from a Canon t3i don't appear in Vegas Explorer to import

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo Mike
AVCHD files in mov containers from a Canon t3i don't appear in Vegas Explorer to import
on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:45:37 pm

The other week I had this problem with mp3s, only even when I dropped them in by opening their folder in Windows and dragging them to the Vegas timeline they were glitched out.

I can drag and drop the files onto the Vegas timeline and successfully edit, but I can't figure out what the problem is this time. I tried removing the AVC and Quicktime dll files in the ProgramFiles and putting them back in their folders, which worked when I did that with the mp3 dll file. I uninstalled Vegas and reinstalled it, and I still can't see mov files in the Vegas explorer when I try to import files.

I updated Quicktime in case that was the issue, but the files still don't appear in the Vegas explorer. My desktop has a black screen when I start up for about 15 seconds, which may be a sign that I need to reinstall Windows 7. But I don't have the copy that was installed on here and think it's something else.

Anyone know a fix?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: AVCHD files in mov containers from a Canon t3i don't appear in Vegas Explorer to import
on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:28:15 am

I wouldn't even know where it start. It sounds like you have a lot going on with this computer. Maybe it is time to reload Windows 7 as you said. It sounds like things are really messed up.

Did these files ever load properly? If so, what has changed since they worked?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
Re: AVCHD files in mov containers from a Canon t3i don't appear in Vegas Explorer to import
on Jul 6, 2015 at 6:58:49 am

[John Rofrano] "Did these files ever load properly? If so, what has changed since they worked?"

I was able to open the folder with the videos from Windows and drag them into the timeline, but even after the reinstall I couldn't import them directly using Vegas.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 6, 2015 at 11:01:04 am

[Angelo Mike] "I was able to open the folder with the videos from Windows and drag them into the timeline,"
So... you have them on the timeline? I'm confused. Did you finally get them onto the timeline and they are working now?

~jr

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:45:30 pm

[John Rofrano] "So... you have them on the timeline? I'm confused. Did you finally get them onto the timeline and they are working now?"

Yes, they're on the timeline and I can edit the project fine. My problem is that they no longer show up in the Vegas explorer when I try to import them from Vegas, rather than opening the file from Windows and dragging and dropping the footage. The render option for mov has disappeared as well.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 7, 2015 at 1:15:46 am

[Angelo Mike] "My problem is that they no longer show up in the Vegas explorer when I try to import them from Vegas, rather than opening the file from Windows and dragging and dropping the footage."
Are you pointing to the root of the original camera card structure? The Vegas Pro Device Explorer is looking for Camera Cards not video files. If the video files have been taken out of the original camera card structure then you've correctly identified the problem. Always make a copy of the entire camera card contents if you plan to use Device Explorer (because as the name implies, it's looking for "devices" not files!")

~jr

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:50:16 pm

[John Rofrano] "Are you pointing to the root of the original camera card structure? The Vegas Pro Device Explorer is looking for Camera Cards not video files. If the video files have been taken out of the original camera card structure then you've correctly identified the problem. Always make a copy of the entire camera card contents if you plan to use Device Explorer (because as the name implies, it's looking for "devices" not files!")"

I don't totally understand what you're saying, but I don't think that's the issue. I'm talking about using the "Import" button, and then selecting video files that Vegas will bring into the Vegas project. The video files aren't visible (and just the mov files from my t3i; my mpeg files from my Canon Vixia HF S21 import fine).

I'm going to try to reinstall Windows 7 soon.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 7, 2015 at 5:00:37 pm

[Angelo Mike] "I'm talking about using the "Import" button, and then selecting video files that Vegas will bring into the Vegas project."
Ah, OK. When you said "Vegas Explorer" I thought you were referring to the Device Explorer which is View | Windows | Device Explorer. You were talking about the Import Media button which is the same as File | Import | Media...

Yea, I agree that's strange. At that point you are using the Windows Explorer window so I don't think any files would be hidden at all.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:44:52 am

Why update Quicktime? Are these MOV files? If the problem is mp3s which Vegas can process, I would try rendering each one in Vegas to a wav file. Then replace the mp3s in your project with the wav files, and see if Vegas will render it that way.

BTW, I continue to be in favor of reloading Win 7 from scratch, and rebuilding everything. Your machine is much too flakey.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 6, 2015 at 7:01:28 am

[Bob Peterson] "Why update Quicktime? Are these MOV files? If the problem is mp3s which Vegas can process, I would try rendering each one in Vegas to a wav file. Then replace the mp3s in your project with the wav files, and see if Vegas will render it that way.

BTW, I continue to be in favor of reloading Win 7 from scratch, and rebuilding everything. Your machine is much too flakey."

They're AVCHD files in an mov wrapper, I believe, from my Canon t3i. The mp3 issue was different, though even when I dropped them onto the timeline they were totally glitched out. I eventually fixed that through guess work; I took the mp3 dll file from the ProgramFiles, removed it from the mp3 folder, then put it back, and it somehow worked.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 7, 2015 at 6:37:47 pm
Last Edited By Angelo Mike on Jul 7, 2015 at 6:42:13 pm

I figured out something else. When I try to import t3i files from another hard drive, I can do so and see the files when they're on another hard drive. It's just this hard drive (an internal one in a docking station) that they don't appear, it seems. Which shouldn't be too much of a problem for me since this hard drive is getting full and has about 150 GB free of its 1 TB capacity.

Still, if anyone knows a fix, I'd like to know.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 8, 2015 at 12:52:09 am
Last Edited By Angelo Mike on Jul 8, 2015 at 1:01:28 am

Edit: Still happening just on that one hard drive. I have another hard drive that's 2 TB with 144 GB free and this issue isn't happening.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 8, 2015 at 1:39:43 am

[Angelo Mike] "They're AVCHD files in an mov wrapper, I believe, from my Canon t3i."

Vegas generally bypasses Quicktime with DSLR MOV files. Specifically those with AVC video with PCM audio, which is the norm for nearly all DSLRs, and this is the case for all Canon DSLRs I have used.

If you do get a file imported, then you can easily tell this by right clicking the media and going to the general tab and looking at the plugin being used.
qt7plug = Vegas is using Quicktime
compoundplug = Vegas is handling the file directly.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 8, 2015 at 3:12:52 am
Last Edited By Angelo Mike on Jul 8, 2015 at 3:15:49 am

[Norman Black] "Vegas generally bypasses Quicktime with DSLR MOV files. Specifically those with AVC video with PCM audio, which is the norm for nearly all DSLRs, and this is the case for all Canon DSLRs I have used.

If you do get a file imported, then you can easily tell this by right clicking the media and going to the general tab and looking at the plugin being used.
qt7plug = Vegas is using Quicktime
compoundplug = Vegas is handling the file directly."

Interesting, thanks for the info. compoundplug showed up in the properties. I'm still not sure where that leaves me. Now I can no longer import t3i files directly with Vegas from any of my hard drives, whereas earlier today it appeared that I could.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:59:18 pm

In case it is related I used to use 'Videomizer 2' for quick clips tweaking them up for Youtube
Then when many of the clips were arriving as AVCHD .. found Videomizer would fail on about 4 our of 5 clips ....
Would start processing then simply stop .......... after 18 months of promises the application was never fixed - so AVCHD do seem problematic for some applications.

If I tanscode them to another format they were fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]