FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 12 crashes when rendering long .mp4 files

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Bossick
Vegas Pro 12 crashes when rendering long .mp4 files
on Jul 5, 2015 at 8:48:26 pm

Hello All!

I've been on Vegas for years, & plan to stay here. I have version 12 pro, build 770 I think. Recently I've been hired by a wedding company who is requiring me to render out large files up to 3 hours long. The footage was shot on a Canon 5D Mark-3. I'm rendering out to Sony's AVC .mp4 My system has been crashing during these long rendering attempts, yet renders out to smaller 5-10-15 minute files (usually) I have attempted to render out to 90 minute files now instead with no luck.

I'm on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit running service pack 1. With an Intel i7 - 2600K CPU @ 3.40 GHZ, 8 core. 16.0 GB Ram, with an AMD Radeon HD 6900 video card. An antec 750 PSU & a 200 GB solid state boot drive for my Windows 7 operating system. An external 3.0 USB hard drive for data, editing & rendering on that. I've tried other drives, same problem occurs no matter what drives I use. I also have an Windows XP sata drive I use to boot to, for all of my 32 bit audio needs. I have had 2 operating systems for about 4 years now, & have not experienced real rendering issues until I started to do these very long length videos.

First I was getting the BSOD. After reading the Blue Screen viewer, it was told to me to update my video card driver, in which I did. Now the BSOD has stopped crashing the system, but has been replaced by my computer completely freezing at various points in the rendering process. The last crash I had, after an hour of trying to render down a 90 minute .mp4 file, I went to see how the rendering process was going, the screen saver was on & my clock was running on the screen saver, once I grabbed my mouse, EVERYTHING froze. I tried it again, & after an hour of rendering I went to see how the process was going & the system was frozen, the screen was black but the computer was still running, it never recovered.

I am rendering down to a 720P file at 7,000,000 bps. GPU acceleration is off & encode mode is set to automatic.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you to all the Vegas forum users for helping out, your responses & help have always been exceptional!

Shawn.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas Pro 12 crashes when rendering long .mp4 files
on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:50:58 am

[Shawn Bossick] "Now the BSOD has stopped crashing the system, but has been replaced by my computer completely freezing at various points in the rendering process."
Could it be overheating? Rendering is extremely intense and if it's only happening with longer renders it could be an overheating problem.

I would try rendering 1/2 hr sections to Sony MXF. Then drop all of the MXF files back-to-back into a new project and render to MP4. This might work because playing back the MXF files shouldn't stress your computer as much because it will mostly be encoding to MP4. I would still watch the temps on the CPU's. Maybe you need to get a liquid cooler?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Jul 6, 2015 at 3:52:20 am

Hello John!

Thanks for the reply. It could be overheating ? Had my air conditioner on 8 feet away from the computer today but it still crashed. I did notice when I re-booted the cpu was 113 degree;s. Another buddy of mine, suggested it may be overheating as well. He told me to open the side of my computer & put a fan there to blow in more cool air. I had 1 file left to render, & it worked on that 1 70 minute file. it's been a lot of hit & miss, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know what a liquid cooler is, but I'll Google it.

Thanks again John!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:24:45 pm

[Shawn Bossick] "Had my air conditioner on 8 feet away from the computer today but it still crashed."
It's not about how cool the room is if the heat cannot get out of the computer case fast enough. You really need good ventilation through the case.
[Shawn Bossick] "I did notice when I re-booted the cpu was 113 degree;s."
Yikes! I hope that was Fahrenheit and not Celsius. Your maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) for your Intel i7 2600K CPU is 72.6°C. (btw, it's 4 cores not 8. You have 8 threads but only 4 cores)
[Shawn Bossick] " He told me to open the side of my computer & put a fan there to blow in more cool air. "
Exactly! It's all about getting air through the case fast enough to cool the CPU down.
[Shawn Bossick] "I don't know what a liquid cooler is, but I'll Google it."
It's an alternate to using a heat sink. What it is, is a self contained cooling system with a radiator, fan, and cooling liquid that attaches to your CPU instead of the heat sink and fan that you probably have now. It offers much better cooling because liquid dissipates heat better than air. Check out the Corsair Hydro Series as an example.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]