FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to render lossless in Sony Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hinderscheid
How to render lossless in Sony Vegas?
on Jul 4, 2015 at 8:21:36 pm

The video I'm trying to render is a 10-bit Blu-Ray rip of an episode of Game of Thrones I'm working on for a project on YouTube. The video length is 55 min and size is 899MB so it's already compressed enough as is. I don't want it compressed any more. But I have absolutely no idea what render settings to choose for lossless. When I choose something like MainConcept MPEG-2, it comes up with a list of Blu-Ray options but I'm not sure exactly which one to choose. And when I do choose one I'm not sure what to set the bitrate too, and do I leave advance settings alone? I'm just a little overwhelmed here. All I want is to render the video in the EXACT same quality as it is now. Can someone please help me? I would really appreciate it! :)

Video producer on YouTube. I make things. :)

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: How to render lossless in Sony Vegas?
on Jul 4, 2015 at 8:45:33 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Jul 4, 2015 at 8:57:37 pm

Except for uncompressed video there is no such thing as "lossless". All codecs are lossy, but I think what you are looking for is to encode with a setting that will have the same quality as your source encode.

The only straight forward way to do that is to use the same dimensions and same video codec at the same video bitrate. This is not truly exact because some encoders are better than others at equal bitrates.

You can use a utility like, MediaInfo, to get the specs on a video file. It is a free utility.

You mention 55 minutes at 899MB for the file. This comes to about 272 Kbits per second overall bitrate including audio. 899,000,000 / 3,300 seconds. This is a shockingly low bitrate to me unless the video dimension/resolution is very small. Could there be a typo here for the file size.

If you are uploading to Youtube then you cannot maintain the exact same video quality as normal Blu-ray encodes. Typically Blu-ray movies are encoded at over twice the bitrate that Youtube provides. Remember that everything you uploaded to Youtube is re-encoded to their spec, regardless of what you upload.

Return to posts index

Paul Hinderscheid
on Jul 4, 2015 at 9:11:46 pm

Thank you for the reply! Ah, I see. Yup, that sounds right. I just want the same quality as the source encode. Oh, and sorry about that. I was actually looking at the original .MKV file by mistake which was 899MB, but I converted the file to MP4 using handbrake and it's actually 8.46 GB (9,093,736,457 bytes). Both look identical so I'm not how the .MKV file was so low. Anyway, I used that program you suggested and here's a screenshot of all the specs on the video- https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-leCmS3zkzhE/VZhLdTStucI/AAAAAAAAAR4/IXBd...

Now that I know the specs what's next? Thank you so much for the help! I do not take this for granted. I really do appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 4, 2015 at 9:20:16 pm

The specs show about 20Mbps AVC video. So you can use Mainconcept AVC or Sony AVC at about 20Mbps average bitrate. Same frame rate and frame size as well. Use 160Kbps for the audio bitrate.

Understand that Youtube 1080 video is only about 8Mbps which is nowhere near 20. Uploading a 20Mbps video would be a bit of overkill. Rendering 20Mbps AVC from Vegas will preserve the original video about as good as possible.

Return to posts index

Paul Hinderscheid
on Jul 4, 2015 at 9:37:10 pm

Under Mainconcept AVC what do I choose? Like Internet 1080p or Blu-Ray. Under the Blu-Ray one it's not letting me include audio.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 5, 2015 at 1:18:43 am

[Paul Hinderscheid] "Under Mainconcept AVC what do I choose? Like Internet 1080p or Blu-Ray. Under the Blu-Ray one it's not letting me include audio."

What are you trying to do. Upload to Youtube/Internet or generate a Blu-ray? Hint, Hint.

If Youtube, then start with the Internet template(s) and adjust it as needed.

If Blu-ray then start with one of the Blu-ray templates and adjust as needed. The Blu-ray templates are designed for use with DVD Architect and do not render audio since you render the audio separately from video. The reason is that DVD/Blu-ray support multiple user selectable audio tracks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]