FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Capture Problem

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Partridge
HDV Capture Problem
on Jul 2, 2015 at 1:04:39 pm

I am getting a one second glitch at the end of each scene when capturing from Sony HDR-FX1000 using Vegas 11. The glitch is black with no sound and contains a partial frame of the next scene. I upgraded to Vegas 13 and still have the same problem. It's easy to trim the clip myself, but we are sending the wedding videos out to be edited. Has anyone else had this problem?
The cure will be a new camera next week recording to SD card. Sony HXR-MC2500. Time to move on from tape! (Shot my first wedding on Beta!)
Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: HDV Capture Problem
on Jul 2, 2015 at 2:38:12 pm

Are you using the capture utility in Vegas? I recall there being complaints over the years. Suggest you try HDVSplit. It's freeware. It converts each tape to scenes according to time stamp. It's worked very well for me when I was still filming HDV with my old HC1.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:12:50 pm

I agree. HDVsplit is a good solution for capturing tape via fire-wire in SVP. The built HD capture in Vegas has not worked for a long time, and probably will not be fixed since tape is now obsolete.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 2, 2015 at 6:51:56 pm

I used to use SVP to capture HDV all the time without issues from my Sony HVR-A1 until I put a tape in it and tried to record once and the camera just died. I sent the camera to Sony for repair. They actually told me "The internal fuse burned out and blew the main board". I called them and asked them did they know that fuses are used to blow and PROTECT the hardware. They just stuck to their story, said they repaired it and sent it back. It did work but you could not charge the battery while it's in the camera anymore and If I choose to sell it one day I want it FULL working order. I had to send it back again and it cost me $400 dollars. I put a tape in it and everything worked again, but I'm kind of afraid to capture to tape with it anymore. I have since bought several better cameras that use SD card instead of tape. I still use the Sony sometimes since it has XLR inputs with phantom power so I can get WAY better audio than all my other cameras. I was capturing via firewire, without a tape in it. I also got a Black Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3. Now I capture via component and rca audio out to the shuttle and bypass the HDV m2t compression and capture straight from the imager chip as 1080i motion JPEG or 8 and 10 bit uncompressed avi if I use my other laptop that I put a 500 gig solid state drive in.Also if the power supply is connected to the camera, I can capture way longer than the one hour tapes. It's not as portable as using a tape since I have to bring a laptop with it but the quality of the video is better than m2t compressed.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jul 4, 2015 at 4:13:59 am

Danny

Capturing from tape poses a risk to the electronics of the camera. This is an old issue that plagues older tape based cameras such as the A1 and FX1, particularly Sony's. We went through two FX1 camera repairs before Sony suggested we use one of these:

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/products/model.asp?pid=79

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Ron Partridge
on Jul 3, 2015 at 1:12:41 pm

Thanks for the help. I will try HDVsplit.

Return to posts index

Geoff Candy
on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:45:33 pm

Ron,

These scripts were published someyears back but works well.
Cut and paste the code block into notepad and save as TrimFront+Back.cs
Copy this file to

C:\program files/Sony/Vegas Pro 11.0/script menu.

/**************************************************************************
* This script will trim the front and back for all selected events.
* Written By: Edward Troxel
* Copyright 2004 - JETDV Scripts
* Modified: 08-03-2005
**/

import System;
import System.IO;
import System.Windows.Forms;
import Sony.Vegas;

var trimAmt = new Timecode("00:00:01:00");

try {

//Go through the list of Tracks
var trackEnum = new Enumerator(Vegas.Project.Tracks);
while (!trackEnum.atEnd()) {
var track : Track = Track(trackEnum.item());

//Go through the list of Events
var eventEnum = new Enumerator(track.Events);
while (!eventEnum.atEnd()) {
var evnt : TrackEvent = TrackEvent(eventEnum.item());

if (evnt.Selected) {
var dStart = evnt.Start + trimAmt;
var dLength = evnt.Length;

//Get current take offset
var tke = evnt.ActiveTake;
var tkeoffset = tke.Offset;
tkeoffset = tkeoffset + trimAmt;
evnt.Start = dStart;
tke.Offset = tkeoffset;

dLength = dLength - trimAmt - trimAmt; //Remove the second - trimAmt to trim only the front.
evnt.Length = new Timecode(dLength);
}
eventEnum.moveNext();
}
trackEnum.moveNext();
}

} catch (e) {
MessageBox.Show(e);
}

Method 2

Cut and paste the code block into notepad and save as TrimCapturedClips.cs
Copy this file to C:\program files/Sony/Vegas Pro 11.0/script menu.

/*

This script will remove the first two and the last three frames of each selected event.
Note that associated audio events also needs to be selected.
@If multiple events are selected on the same track, they will be shifted to the left in order
to not get any gaps between the events.

This script has been verified using Sony HDR-HC3 (NTSC version), HDVSlit v0.75 (http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm)
and Vegas version 7.0b.

Your camera and capture program might require a different number of frames to be removed.
In that case, make changes in the code below (the clipStartTrim and clipEndTrim variables).

The script has been verified using the project templates "HDV 1080-60i (1440x1080, 29.970 fps)" and "HDV 1080-50i (1440x1080, 25.000 fps)".
Other templates with either 29.970 fps or 25.000 fps should also work.

However, there is no quarantee that it works. Use it at your own risk.

Place this file in the following folder C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas 7.0\Script Menu
In Vegas, execute Tools->Scripting->Rescan Script Menu Folder
This script will then be available at Tools->Scripting.

History:
v1.0 2006-10-15 Verfified that v0.9 also works for 25.000 fps (PAL).
v0.9 2006-10-14 First version. Supports 29.970 fps (NTSC).

*****************************************************************************************
*/

using System;
using System.Text;
using System.Collections;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using Sony.Vegas;

public class EntryPoint
{
public void FromVegas(Vegas vegas)
{
Timecode clipStartTrim = Timecode.FromFrames(2); // Change here if different number of frames should be deleted at the beginning of the clip
Timecode clipEndTrim = Timecode.FromFrames(3); // Change here if different number of frames should be deleted at the end of the clip

Project proj = vegas.Project;
foreach (Track track in proj.Tracks)
{
Timecode totalTrim = Timecode.FromFrames(0);
foreach (TrackEvent trackEvent in track.Events)
{
if (!trackEvent.Selected)
continue;
Take activeTake = trackEvent.ActiveTake;
if (activeTake == null)
continue;
Media media = activeTake.Media;
if (media == null)
continue;

Timecode eventStart = trackEvent.Start;
Timecode eventEnd = trackEvent.Start + trackEvent.Length;
Timecode takeOffset = activeTake.Offset;

// Modify the beginning of the clip
takeOffset = takeOffset + clipStartTrim;
activeTake.Offset = takeOffset;

// Shift the clip to the left and make the starting point correct for a 29.970 fps project (as well as for 25.000 fps)
trackEvent.Start = Timecode.FromNanos(((((eventStart.Nanos - totalTrim.Nanos)*3 + 500)/1000)*1000)/3);

// Update how much the followin clip on the same track should be shifted.
totalTrim = totalTrim + clipStartTrim + clipEndTrim;

// Make the length correct for a 29.970 fps project (as well as for 25.000 fps)
trackEvent.Length = Timecode.FromNanos(((((eventEnd.Nanos - totalTrim.Nanos)*3 + 500)/1000)*1000)/3 - trackEvent.Start.Nanos);
}
}
}
}

These scripts were published on the Vegas Forum. My preference was for script 2 as the trim length can be set by the user.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]