FORUMS: list search recent posts

Leaving a Sony Vegas project open for days

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Kee
Leaving a Sony Vegas project open for days
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:45:04 am

Hey, I'm wondering if there any harm on my computer leaving a Sony Vegas Pro 12 project open on my computer for many days (4 so far).

I'm doing this because it's an important project and I've encountered many issues, and in the past, I have been unable to open important projects which has left me in a very bad situation. Something to do with rebuilding peaks or just crashing out because I have hundreds of Quicktime files on there.

There are tonnes of Quicktime Prores clips on this project and it's constantly using up >10GB RAM.

I was interested to find out if this be damaging for my computer in any way.

i7 4770K
16GB RAM
Spinning disc
GTX 650

Return to posts index

Jay Allen
Re: Leaving a Sony Vegas project open for days
on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:04:15 pm

Vegas has hard limits of how many quicktime clips you have in a project before it comes unglued. It does not matter how long the clips are but how many clips are in your project. There is also a limit to how many avchd clips also.
If i remember correctly its around 50 clips for quicktime and around 200 for avchd. I have this happen to all 3 of my systems. If i get boat load of AVCHD material, i render it to either xavc or mxf and this takes all the troubles away.

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:51:05 pm

Hey Will, if your project's that big, why not just make a few (project) iterations of it with sections you know are finished. That way, if you DO have to tweak anything in those sections you'll be able to and, if not, render some of those big sections and bring that result into your main project.

You may find things are a lot more manageable if you don't have to have every little component as a standalone event in one project.

--Kelly

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:58:40 pm

My video is only 2 minutes long but the cutting is very complicated. Indeed, I created a few projects for different sections.

Only when I hit the 'Delete Unused Media' tab was I able to drag sections from one project into another, which backs up Jay Allen wrote.

One would expect to be to import multiple QT Prores files, since they are industry standard offline (and often online) files.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 2, 2015 at 7:34:46 pm

Leaving it on will not hurt the computer. In the day, we left ours on 24X7, and never had a problem. Computers are a lot better today in terms of reliability. Unless you have problems with BSODs, you should have no trouble IMHO.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]