FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating compliation video clips from source videos without needing to keep the source.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mina Ward
Creating compliation video clips from source videos without needing to keep the source.
on Jun 28, 2015 at 3:56:41 pm

Hi,

I bought Sony Vega to improve my 'compilation' videos and am struggling to get the software to do what I need.

I record hour long sessions (dog walks and training sessions!), and need to clip out certain sections to create training videos - different subjects, so one hour long video could generate 4 short clips on different subjects which might only be 5 mins in total of that video I use. Then with the next hour long source video I'll add more clips to the individual subjects, and so on, then eventually I'll edit the clips properly to create a training video. Currently I've been copying the small section then pasting it into a new project window per subject - I haven't 'made movie' out of any of them yet.

By researching on this forum I realised that I can't delete the source video doing it this way. I tried copy media with project after reading that on here, but then ended up with 4 copies of the hour long source video as I'd filed each clip subject into its own folder.

My problem is I've nearly filled my 2 month old 1TB hard drive... I'm just wondering if there's an easy way to do this, or if what I want to do is impossible? I want to watch each hour long video once, take out what I want and delete the rest until I get enough material to create the training video. It can take a few months to train the dogs from start to finish so I gather a lot of material.

Please don't laugh, this was my very first attempt a couple of years ago when I was exploring what I wanted to get out of using video in my training, but this is the sort of thing I am trying to put together. Different dogs learning over time - I teach owners in a training session, then ideally if they get stuck in between sessions they can refer to a video.

If I create clips and save them as a movie, would that solve it? I assume when I have enough material for each subject then I can start a new project and add all the little movies to create something like the link above?

Thanks for any help...
Linda

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Creating compliation video clips from source videos without needing to keep the source.
on Jun 28, 2015 at 5:35:31 pm

[Mina Ward] "By researching on this forum I realised that I can't delete the source video doing it this way. "
Your understanding is correct. Your project is just pointers to your source files and once you delete them they are gone so don't do this. There is also no good way to "cut out" the parts you don't need with modern camera formats which use interframe compression because the frames are encoded is such a way that it's difficult to separate them.
[Mina Ward] "If I create clips and save them as a movie, would that solve it? "
Yes, that is your only solution. I would recommend that you render the section you want to keep into a new folder. Then you can delete the originals because you will only use the section that you rendered in your future videos. This folder will become the "keepers" in your collection. It looks like you are using a smart phone to record. My first advice is to hold the phone sideways because HD video should be wider than it is tall. This will result in a more "watchable" video.

It sounds like you are using Movie Studio. I would Render/Make Movie these sections of video that you want to keep using Sony AVC with one of the AVCHD 1920x1080 ... templates. Pick the template with the frame rate that matches your source video. AVCHD should be very easy to work with later when you assemble your final project.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Creating compliation video clips from source videos without needing to keep the source.
on Jun 28, 2015 at 10:26:03 pm

What did you use to record your source footage? From your portrait orientation, it would appear its from a cell phone? If by chance you used a Sony Handycam and you simply cropped it in Movie Studio to appear in a portrait orientation, then you could use PlayMemories to do your initial trimming. The resulting files would be smart-rendered so there is no loss in quality, except at the beginning and the end of the rendered clip. Panasonic camcorders also have such software. Don't know about Canon.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:44:40 pm

I'm not sure why one would move to different software when John has already outlined a solution that will work within Vegas.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:55:29 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Jun 29, 2015 at 5:35:34 pm

I'm not sure why one would move to different software when John has already outlined a solution that will work within Vegas.

Quite simply, Vegas does not "smart-render" AVCHD footage from Sony or Panasonic consumer camcorders. If you trim camcorder footage with these applications, there is no generational loss and hence no loss of quality in the trimmed clips. If maintaining the best quality possible is not a concern, then sure it'll work. And if the footage came from a smartphone, as suspected, then such software wouldn't work anyway, unless there are specific apps for trimming smartphone footage.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 30, 2015 at 2:23:24 am

So, the applications you are suggesting can use smart rendering to cut four short clips out of a one hour video? Are all four done in a single pass, or must the original video be smart rendered four different times? That is assuming, of course, that a Sony or Panasonic camera shot AVCHD footage.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 30, 2015 at 2:47:33 am

When you save a .veg file, you have the option to save media with it, and another option to keep only the used parts of source media with 2 second tails. You can do this and then delete the original source media.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:15:34 am

So, the applications you are suggesting can use smart rendering to cut four short clips out of a one hour video?

Yes, you can easily cut individual clips from a video and they do smart-render, so there's no generational loss except the few frame at the start and end of the clip. The software for Sony Handycams is called Play Memories and for Panasonic, its called PhotoFunStudio--what a name! Both are included with the purchase of the camera. I use them mostly for importing footage. Both convert the MTS file on the SD card to an m2ts file whose name is the actual date code which is really convenient. Works much like the old HDV Split for HDV video.

For the Sony software, at least, you can only do one clip at a time. You set the start point and then the end point and then render. It is frame accurate, so you can advance frame by frame to set your start and end points. You can't do say 4 clips on a single pass though, just 1 start and 1 end, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick and the renders are extremely fast--mostly just copying.

I must admit they are a bit clunky to use, but if you only need a small portion of your footage, or if you happen to leave the camcorder "recording" when it should be "off" like I sometimes do, they are very useful to get rid of the unintended footage. I've tried other 3rd party software, but the edited clips did not play well in Vegas. So, if you use a Sony Hanycam, its probably worth trying--if nothing else, for its import function.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:22:00 am

When you save a .veg file, you have the option to save media with it, and another option to keep only the used parts of source media with 2 second tails. You can do this and then delete the original source media.

This only works for a few formats like DV or audio wav files. It will NOT work for HDV or AVCHD files. You end up copying the entire clip.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:10:41 am

Wow Wayne, your right. I never use that since HD space is so cheap now. Here's a link to AviDemux, a free program. I just used it to split a 1080p 60 fps .mts file successfully. It gives you a preview for accurate splitting.
I used the 64 bit ver.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/AviDemux

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:30:37 am

One can use something like TMPGEnc to "smart trim" long media into smaller parts. It works on AVC LongGOP file formats. Of course cut points are limited to the beginning of a GOP but when you are just trying to trim the excess this is not a problem.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr4.html

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:58:44 am

I have this and is one of the 3rd party software solutions that I mentioned that I had trouble with trimmed clips in Vegas (also VideoReDo TV Suite). That's been a couple of years ago, so perhaps the later releases are better. I've got the latest update but have not tried it for trimming clips for use in Vegas. IMHO, it's far better to use the freeware Sony solution, since it works without issue in Vegas.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Linda Ward
on Oct 18, 2015 at 3:56:42 pm

Hello,

Firstly sorry for taking so long to come back to this thread! I wanted to thank everyone for the help. Unfortunately I didn't actually understand how to do some of the suggestions, so I think I am probably too big a novice to even attempt this and I think I will go back to movie maker. :(

I do use my cellphone yes, and that video was the only one I did in portrait, all others have been done in landscape. I've got a handycam and action cams (half the footage I need to edit is from the action cams and half from the cellphone).

I will keep trying, but wanted to come back and say thank you. Especially as my 1tb drive is completely full so I've got to do something quickly with these videos so I can delete all the unusable content!

Linda

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 18, 2015 at 8:10:43 pm

Especially as my 1tb drive is completely full so I've got to do something quickly with these videos so I can delete all the unusable content!

Don't now your PC configuration, but why not get an external 1 or 2 tb usb 3.0 drive? They're pretty cheap these days. Having two drives could possibly speed up your workflow.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Linda Ward
on Oct 19, 2015 at 11:02:50 am

That won't solve the problem, as I'll just fill that up too. I don't need this much video, it's just as I couldn't find an easy way to 'cut and paste' and then delete the source material I'd kind of given up trying.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 19, 2015 at 3:08:39 pm

That won't solve the problem, as I'll just fill that up too. I don't need this much video, it's just as I couldn't find an easy way to 'cut and paste' and then delete the source material I'd kind of given up trying.

Agreed. Suggest you re-read the previous posts on this thread and try one of the app's recommended that will allow you to cut out the segments you don't wont and then smart-render the rest. Just make sure that the resulting file is Vegas-friendly. All of the paid apps have a free trial.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 19, 2015 at 12:43:02 pm

As Wayne suggests, you're not going to get away from managing your footage regardless of what tools you use.

What I do is buy WD My Passport 1TB USB 3.0 external drives ($59 USD). After a shoot, I copy the memory card onto the external drive into a folder with an expressive name like "20150523-LimeRock-TransAm" so that I know that the footage is from the Trans Am race at Lime Rock Park on May 23, 2015. Then I can easily find my footage when I'm ready to edit it.

For the edit, I copy the footage onto my internal hard drive. Work with it, then archive the project into another external 1TB drive when I done and delete it from my internal drive to make room for the next project. So my internal laptop drive never has more than 1 or 2 projects that I'm working on and all of the media is on external drives. My archive to a different drive I now have 2 copies of my media for backup.

Learning how to manage your media will save you hours of frustration later and using a good system of external drives will help you keep your internal hard drive free for editing.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]