FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove Camera Noise & Shakiness?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendon Abel
Remove Camera Noise & Shakiness?
on Jun 27, 2015 at 3:57:49 pm

Hello,

Need a little guidance. Used a GoPro Hero4 Silver to film some of my trip to Ireland. Realized when I got home that there is a lot of "handling the camera" noise at some points in the videos. Also there are some shaky parts in them.

I have about 30 two-ten minute long videos to edit the sound and shake out of so I'm looking for relatively easy ways to reduce these problems rather than perfecting each one for hours. I have Sony Vegas Pro 11.0 and would really appreciate some help. I have searched youtube for tutorials but haven't found the perfect one to solve my issue and figured you guys would be able to walk me through it best!

I'm going to link a short 2:00 example video, if you could just take a 15 second look at it you'll hear the noise I'm referring to right at the beginning and some of the shake. There are videos where there isnt a clear horizon or that are indoors so if you have a solution for shake that works for those scenarios as well, I'd like to go that route.

If its easier to point me to a video tutorial that you think will help, that could be just as good.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Remove Camera Noise & Shakiness?
on Jun 27, 2015 at 9:58:05 pm

The audio noise is both simple and hard. It depends on what tools you have at your disposal. First, try to get your video edit done before worrying about audio noise. When you are satisfied with the video, render an audio file using the wav format. Import this, add it to your timeline, and silence all of the other audio sources. If you must rely on Vegas to fix the audio, use something like the equalizer to cut off the frequencies, both low and high, which are not of interest. If you have the denoiser, you can use it to eliminate many objectionable sounds. Finally, use a volume envelope on the track and pull the volume down to zero to eliminate any remaining noises.

If you have something like Izotope Rx, things get much easier. simply open the wav file that was generated, and use the Izotope tools that compare to what I described for Vegas.

For shaky video, I know Vegas incorporated a stabilizer in versions 12 & 13, but I am not sure about 11. If 11 has it, you should be able to stabilize the clips that need that processing. The stabilizer does crop your video while stabilizing it, so I would not use it on clips that do not need it. If version 11 did not have a stabilizer built in, you will need another piece of software to perform this function. I have After Effects which is quite effective at stabilizing video. I think New Blue also has stabilizing software.

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 3, 2015 at 2:59:26 am

Bob,

Finally got around to finishing the videos and now working on audio. I am having trouble achieving the affect i want with the camera handling. Using Audacity, I have tried the noise reducer and equalizer effects. With the noise reducer, I seem to end up with some high pitch sounds scattered throughout the clips and as far as the equalizer, well thats really above my expertise.. Do you have any further suggestions or know of any helpful tutorial videos? Upon searching, most videos instruct on how to remove a long constant background noise like a hiss or a fan but i have short bursts of aggressive sounds so its hard for me to eliminate them accross a longer clip without distorting the rest of the audio.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 3, 2015 at 6:58:24 pm

[Brendon Abel]

Looked at your YT video again. It has been awhile. Easiest thing to do is a simple cut and paste of "good footsteps" to the part that is noisy. You can do that inside of Vegas--much easier and quicker than using an external app. Plus you can see how well the "pasted" footsteps match with the video and easily adjust.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 3, 2015 at 9:34:40 pm

Well, my hope was that i could make those noises much quieter and maybe hear voices a little clearer without feeling like the volume is being raised and lowered throughout the 2 hour long movie i have. So id like to manipulate my audio rather that cutting and pasting. However, id like to do this within 2 weeks or so..

Thanks for the continued help

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 3, 2015 at 9:46:38 pm

So id like to manipulate my audio rather that cutting and pasting.

Just to be clear, you only need to cut and paste the audio track while leaving the video track intact. If you still want to "fix" the noise in your audio track, then be prepared to purchase something like Iztotope RX4 or the newer version 5. It's about $350. Audacity simply doesn't have the tools you will need. If may help some, but it will still sound pretty bad.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 3, 2015 at 10:04:57 pm

Okay well ill find a way to get izotope. How do i do it then?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 3, 2015 at 11:18:44 pm

Okay well ill find a way to get izotope. How do i do it then?

My suggestion is to download the trial version. The module that you will probably use most often judging from just the first few seconds of the YT video is Spectral Repair. In simple terms, you can usually visually identify the noise you want to eliminate using the spectrogram. It has a variety of tools for making a selection, much like those available in Photoshop, e.g. lasso, magic wand, etc. Once you've made a noise selection, there are different ways that it can be processed. You'll have to experiment to try and find the one that works best for your noise selection. Most often, I use the Attenuate or Replace. The help files in Izotope are actually pretty good. Bear in mind that reducing or eliminating noise in this manner is pretty tedious. Moreover, there are occasions when it may be next to impossible to really do a good job. For example, wind noise. Still, this is about the best set of tools around. Again, I would first try to simply replace the noise rather than filter it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 11, 2015 at 3:20:27 am

So Ive been using izotope and getting through most of the audio. I want to select the decibels of a voice being heard and raise that against the background noise but I cannot find a way to do it.. (I i dont want to reduce that background noise, just amplify the voice over it.)

On another section, I am trying to select just the decibel relating to a wind noise and lower that against voices by selecting that decibel over a few seconds and "learning" it then applying it all the way accross the audio.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to intricately work the spectral repair..

I realize those two circumstances kind of contradict eachother, but they do need to happen that way for the video to sound natural.

In the link above, this guy did it very well (i think) when removing variable wind sound around others. but i dont understand how to use the spectral graph to reduce targeted noises

Thank you very much for the help. Im really trying to get this done for christmas for my family.

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 11, 2015 at 3:41:02 am

im saying decibels instead of frequencies, pretty aggravated right now haha

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 11, 2015 at 5:16:16 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Dec 11, 2015 at 5:18:19 pm

[Brendan Abel]

I had forgotten about this Izotope Demo I did for someone else having a similar problem. It explains how to use Spectral Repair and Denoise in Izotope. Hopefully, it will be of use to you.

Question. Does your version of Izotope have the Dialog Denoiser. I use the automatic setting all the time for audio captured inside a moving car. You can vary the amount of noise reduction (in my case to reduce vehicle road noise) and then increase the output to increase the volume of the dialog itself.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 12, 2015 at 12:28:03 am

It does. I downloaded RX5. Ill take a look at your video and hopefully get it figured out. I have messed with the dialog denoiser but again, to no real avail

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 22, 2015 at 8:50:10 pm

wayne,

Your video tutorial did help me a lot. Now I'm sure im going to stump you. I want to create dvd menus that can be used for chapter selection but without burning an actual dvd.. So i can play it on my tv without a physical disc (I want super high quality video but my 2 hour long video is 40+ Gb) and i think 8GB is the highest dual layer disc size.

I know VLC media player and other programs can play .ISO files which is what most dvd files are but I think that would require streaming them to my tv where as I would like a standalone video file with menus..

Ever tried such a thing?

Thanks for all the help. The video came out pretty good (certainly to my liking at least). Being able to have a clean title menu and be able to skip to chapters is a bit of a cherry on top that i would like for presentation value

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 22, 2015 at 9:42:50 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Dec 22, 2015 at 9:45:53 pm

Glad you were able to finish it to your satisfaction. If you want to maintain quality, forget rendering to DVD. If your final HD file was 40 GB, you could author it to Blu-ray and burn it to a dual-layer disc which holds 50 GB. In that way, you could create whatever menus you like. It does require a blu-ray player.

I used to burn blu-ray discs but have gotten away from it completely, being content with the ability to stream videos to my TV and also to add chapters so I can quickly skip through them. Most of my projects, including GoPro footage are 1080 60P. My workflow: (1) render project to 1080 60P AVC using Handbrake; (2) export an XML chapter file from Vegas; (3)remux to MKV using MKVToolNix GUI adding chapter information; (4) stream MKV file from computer to Sony Blu-ray player (I have an older 2013 model); and (5) "play" the MKV file. The Sony Blu-ray player has no problem with 1080 60P footage and also supports MKV chapters.

I find that "streaming" is so much easier than using discs. If you don't want to stream, you can always copy the MKV file to a USB drive, which also works with my Sony Blu-ray player. I might add that Blu-ray discs do NOT support 1080 60P--they only supports 1080 60i (or 50i in PAL land). If interested, I can provide additional details.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 22, 2015 at 10:04:13 pm

This is exactly what I want to do wayne. Like you, I would rather never touch a disk of any kind again. Im honestly surprised the medium still exists.

Anyway, I have fully rendered the video as a "MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4)" file in Sony Vegas

Audio: 128kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, AAC
Video: 29.970fps, 1920x1080 Progressive, YUV, 30Mbps, Pixel Aspect Ratio:1.000

I set a constant bit rate of 50,000,000bps

I might redo that adding "markers" for the chapter points rather than in another program. (if you suggest this i suppose)

I will download MKVtoolnix Gui if you could tell me your version and then maybe I could bang this thing out tonight!

Does this program give me the ability to add my own image as the background for the title menu and have two buttons: 1. being Play all and 2. being chapter select, which will bring me to another screen to choose which chapter or go back?

And this file that you create, is it the same file that i could put on a flash drive and plug into the blu ray player, or will i have to go through a different rendering method?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 22, 2015 at 11:33:52 pm

[Brendon Abel]

I set a constant bit rate of 50,000,000bps
For your final delivery file, the bit rate is pretty high. Your blu-ray player may or may not play it. I'd render a small clip at that bit rate, put it on a thumbdrive or usb drive and see if it will work in your player.

I might redo that adding "markers" for the chapter points rather than in another program. (if you suggest this i suppose)
I add markers in Vegas and export using Vegasaur. It has an option to export marks in the correct MKV chapter format.

I will download MKVtoolnix Gui if you could tell me your version..
I'm using the latest which is v8.6.1.

Does this program give me the ability to add my own image as the background for the title menu and have two buttons: 1. being Play all and 2. being chapter select, which will bring me to another screen to choose which chapter or go back?
No. You misunderstood. There is no chapter menu. Chapter support simply enables to you to skip forward or backward using the Blu-ray remote.

And this file that you create, is it the same file that i could put on a flash drive and plug into the blu ray player, or will i have to go through a different rendering method?
It is the same file. There is no need to re-render from Vegas unless your bit rate is too high. I'd test it. Creation of the MKV file does not involve re-rendering. It is simply re-muxing from an MP4 container to an MKV container which supports chapters. Moreover, it is very fast--mostly copying. BTW, the MP4 container does support chapters, but the Sony blu-ray players do not recognize them--at least mine didn't.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Dec 23, 2015 at 1:34:25 am

what bit rate would you recommend? I thought Blu-ray was capable of 54,000kbps so I chose 50,000kbps. I think my next closest option that I could lock at a constant rate was 20,000 kbps. Every time i tried to make it 30,000 or 40,000 it would snap back to the last default speed

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 23, 2015 at 2:35:10 am

The default MainConcept Bluray render template has an average bit rate of 25 mbps with a max of 40 mbps. The max bit rate for Sony AVC is roughly 22 mbps. For Handbrake renders, I usually set the average bit rate to 22 mbps. Alternatively, you can use a Constant Quality setting and the average bit rate is usually much lower. Bit rates for MPEG-2 are usually higher, but no more than 35 mbps. Again, I would try playing the file you've already rendered. If it works great. If not, you can always re-render at a lower bit rate setting. My Sony Blu-ray player successfully plays XAVC S files which have a bit rate of 50 mbps, so maybe yours will work. Just try it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jun 27, 2015 at 10:37:39 pm

try mercalli stabilization software

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 28, 2015 at 12:00:04 am

I agree with Bob to do your video editing first. For noise, the tool of choice is Izotope RX, but it's pretty pricey. If you do have to fix your audio in Vegas, another suggestion is to do a simple copy and paste over some noisy sections. E.g. during the first part of the sample video, simply copy part of the later audio while walking and paste it over the part where there s handling noise. If you have a music track, it would be further masked. I do this all the time.

Regarding stabilization, Mercalli is the way to go. Here's an example I posted awhile back using Mercalli 4.0 with its CMOS correction, which you would probably need. Again, a pricey piece of software, although well worth it if you do a lot of editing. And finally, you would probably want to correct the lens distortion that results from using the GoPro.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Brendon Abel
on Jun 28, 2015 at 8:29:14 pm

Definitely a good starting point, thanks for the tips guys. As for the image stabilizing, if I have footage going up a staircase or moving around inside a house, can it still be improved? or will it eventually crop the whole image away?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 28, 2015 at 10:13:13 pm

Try it and see. There's a free download trial for Mercalli. Don't believe it expires--I still have a V3.0 on my system. It places a big watermark, so that it's unusable, but at least you could see how the stabilization works with your footage.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]