FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decrypting/Converting .TiVo Files for Vegas Compatibility

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael George
Decrypting/Converting .TiVo Files for Vegas Compatibility
on Jun 23, 2015 at 8:23:39 pm

Can anyone recommend a lossless (and highly preferably free) method of decrypting/converting .TiVo files to a format that can be supported by Sony Vegas?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Decrypting/Converting .TiVo Files for Vegas Compatibility
on Jun 23, 2015 at 8:56:11 pm

You didn't state your interest, but it seems likely that since its a tivo file, you probably want to get rid of commercials. If that's the case, then save yourself a lot of time and try VideoReDo TV Suite 5. It can open .tivo files directly. It also has a built-in ad scanning capability. Just do your cuts and render directly. Vegas will work, but it would be very cumbersome, where VideoReDo is designed for this type of application.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Michael George
on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:07:48 pm

I actually don't need to get rid of the commercials. I want to use some TiVo footage in a Sony Vegas project so I just need to decrypt and convert the .TiVo file so that it can be imported into Vegas for editing.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 24, 2015 at 3:41:17 pm

Sorry about my presumptiveness. In that case, I'd suggest you try the Videohelp forum. There is a Conversion subforum that might be of assistance. There is also a Tools section that lists lots of tools for doing conversions. And lastly, have you tried just "googling". I just tried .tivo file converter with lots of hits. As a last resort, you could always download the VideoReDo TV suite I mentioned and use it in a trial mode for your conversions just for your project. In any case, good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Michael George
on Jun 24, 2015 at 6:00:43 pm

I'll definitely check out VideoReDo, thanks for that. I'll also have a look at the forum you suggested.

I have, in fact, previously done some digging around regarding this and have found a handful of options, I just came here to see if anyone had any preferred methods of doing so before I moved forward with any of those options (most importantly having to pay for a piece of software that I'll only use once or twice).

Cheers for your help, Wayne.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 25, 2015 at 1:52:27 am
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Jun 25, 2015 at 1:54:57 am

It looks like the simplest way is to connect a miniDV video camera between the Tivo and the computer. If the camera has a "pass thru" capability, it can convert the Tivo output to a digital format that can be captured on the computer. Interestingly, this technique was just discussed in this thread;

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/24/989823

I route the HDMI output of my Tivo through an adaptor made by Etekcity which is called a "mini HDMI2AV converter". The converter produces a composite output which can be connected to the camera's a/v input jack. Output to the computer is via fire-wire. Amazon has the required adaptor.

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jul 21, 2016 at 8:56:48 am

The reason the TiVo file is not supported by Sony Vegas is because only a handful of programs currently support .tivo files in their native format, which is MPEG-2 based, but in what someone described as being in a ".tivo wrapper." You will need a program that will work with it in that form, or else removes it so that it will be recognizable by other video software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]