FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wrong audio track while importing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luca Micheli
Wrong audio track while importing
on Jun 21, 2015 at 10:20:15 am

Hi all.
I've imported some video from VHS through an USB adapter. They are all ok with any video player.
But, once I import them in SONY VEGAS for editing, each video has got a wrong audio track.
i.e.: video 1 has got the audio of video 2 (even though I restart the software or the pc). Sometimes I get all silence and only 1 or 2 seconds of audio each 30seconds (more or less).
I get this only with these videos. I tried to convert them by using the VLS feature to convert videos, trying to change audio settings, with no results...

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Wrong audio track while importing
on Jun 21, 2015 at 8:25:10 pm

We'll, whatever Vegas isn't doing it's to do with the CODECs that came with VP to read the AVIs that are compatible with Vegas.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Luca Micheli
on Jun 22, 2015 at 9:24:06 am

Yes, and I was trying something for that by converting the file. So, it seems that it's not possible to fix my problem on the file already imported, with a simple conversion.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 21, 2015 at 10:10:06 pm

I'm not aware of any technology for importing VHS through a USB adapter. Please explain further the hardware and software that you are using to accomplish this import. I'm not at all surprised that the audio is totally out of sync with the video. The only way I have ever seen to interface VHS to a video file in Windows is via a hardware device, such as a camera, which converts VHS camera output to the digital format expected by the computer. Further, that interface, in my experience, always operates via a firewire interface. I have not seen one that operates via USB. Thus, it is not surprising that Vegas import is confused.

Return to posts index

Luca Micheli
on Jun 22, 2015 at 9:33:42 am

This is what I actually use, I know it is not the best to import video

Many dropped frames and audio out of sync (something like 1 second delay). With normal video player, as said.
But it seems that it's own software 'Honestech TVR' (nothing professional) works better on audio codec, while VP doesn't like this conversion too much... So I have to import once again 8hourhs of VHS to be divided in more than 20 clips. As said, I tried just to convert each clip after, with no results...

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 22, 2015 at 2:06:18 pm

Yeah, you will get dropped frames and out of sync issues via using those.
Wish i could help, but not familiar with those devices...

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 22, 2015 at 6:49:25 pm

Do yourself a favor and buy a used Sony VHS camera on Ebay. You will, however, need to do some research. You need a camera that can accept a component video input, and which will produce a DV output. I have a Sony DCR-TRV17 NTSC miniDV camera. The component input on my camera is labelled Audio/Video (ID-2). The adaptor has three RCA cables with one for video, and two for left and right audio. The three cables terminate in a 1/8 inch 4 connector jack. The jack plugs into the camera, and the RCA adapters plug into a VHS deck. The DV output is a fire-wire port which connects to the computer. The VHS deck sends analog video and audio to the camera. The camera digitizes this data, and sends it via fire-wire to the computer where a capture program (Vegas) will capture the digital data, and create a video file. Other alternatives like Canopus were available in the day, but this technique always worked quite well for me.

If you actually obtain such a camera, post back. I will tell you about settings in Vegas which will let the interface work.

Return to posts index

Luca Micheli
on Jun 23, 2015 at 10:09:35 am

Many thanks! But I'm not sure on what to search for... as you use a MiniDV camera but suggest to buy a VHS camera.
I've got an old Panasonic MS5 VHS camera, too old to support something like firewire... did Sony make VHS camera which does it? With a quick look around, I didn't find Sony VHS cameras, only VHS-C. I've got a Panasonic G3 which is VHS-C.

Return to posts index

Ron Partridge
on Jun 23, 2015 at 12:47:17 pm

I think there are two issues regarding converting VHS to DV.
1. Using an old Mini DV camera as a convertor to change to VHS signal to Digital is a great idea. VHS into Mini DV Into Computer.
2. Was the VHS tape recorded with the HI-FI Sound track? VHS-HIFI had a stereo soundtrack imbedded in the Video Track and it also had a separate mono soundtrack on the edge of the tape. You could dub/replace the mono soundtrack, and using the audio monitor button on the VHS-HIFI playback recorder select the mono track, HIFI-Stereo Track or both together. There was also some recorders that had a stereo non HIFI track on the edge that could be dubbed on.
Sorry if this is confusing but you may need a different VHS/S-VHS playback machine, then play with the audio monitor button for the correct output!

Return to posts index

Luca Micheli
on Jun 23, 2015 at 9:22:11 pm

I used an old Panasonic MS5 which is mono, didn't know about this HIFI function though, nice to know.
And yes, it seems that I better find a cheap camera just to do that work

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 23, 2015 at 12:52:00 pm
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Jun 23, 2015 at 12:56:43 pm

You are right! My mistake. It is, of course, a miniV camera which is being used to convert VHS to a digital format. Too many acronyms!

BTW, my camera allows me to do the conversion without recording on a miniDV tape. The analog data comes into the camera, is converted to digital, and immediately sent out to the computer. It is called "Pass Thru".

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:41:52 pm

[Bob Peterson] "Too many acronyms!"
That'll be a TMA experience, then?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Luca Micheli
on Jun 23, 2015 at 9:19:39 pm

I take the point, it seems to be really the best conversion, as the camera itself is made to do that work. I will try to find a cheap camera, maybe I'm lucky and I find one with defect, just to be used for that kind of works eheh... I even used my Panasonic G3 connected to a VHS recorder, to bypass a defect it got that ruins the tape.
Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 24, 2015 at 2:48:27 pm

I'm glad you are already getting a benefit from the idea. I bought my Sony camera on eBay many years ago, and it is still my standard technique for capturing VHS. The Sony was my first digital video camera, and it encouraged me to start editing video on the computer. I will be very surprised if you cannot find a suitable camera.

Return to posts index

Luca Micheli
on Jun 25, 2015 at 10:54:52 am

I see some sold for 20€ that need to be repaired to record. But I just need it turns on and comunicate with the pc, and with the input audio/video channel as well. I already spent more thant expected to repair my VHS recorder, si I better try to limit further expenses...!

Return to posts index

Luca Micheli
on Jun 28, 2015 at 2:44:48 pm

I did one last try on the captured videos... as said their conversion through the VLC reader options had no success... so I tried to import them through Windows Movie Maker and it works, it seems that I don't need to spend further hours to import all these VHS once again... It was able to convert the file I created, into an MP4 accepted by Vegas.

In any case I willbuy a MiniDV camera for future conversions, thank you all

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]