FORUMS: list search recent posts

New thoughts on my issue with Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Whitaker
New thoughts on my issue with Vegas
on Jun 18, 2015 at 5:56:14 pm

OK. So, I was thinking yesterday about my issue I'm currently having with Vegas.

To recap, I'm in Vegas Pro 13 going through 35 hours of footage. I double-click a file, it opens in the Trimmer, then I create subclips.

At about 500 subclips, Vegas got to the point where it won't open the project. It just hangs at around 80%.

But then I was thinking last night, if one of the media files was corrupt, that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

My understanding is that a subclip is only a reference to a portion of the original media file.

There is nothing on the timeline.

So, even if a media file were corrupt, and I created a subclip referencing that media file, it shouldn't make a difference, should it?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: New thoughts on my issue with Vegas
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:05:45 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:06:27 pm

"So, even if a media file were corrupt, and I created a subclip referencing that media file, it shouldn't make a difference, should it?"
Sorry Ron, it would definitely make a difference!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:39:10 pm

At the end of the day... Vegas Pro needs to read through the file to get to the section that you want. If the file is corrupt and it can't read through it, it will never get to the part that you want. So video file corruption would definitely impact you.

Having said that, it could still be a bug with subclips but at least try and rule out a corrupt video file while you can.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 18, 2015 at 7:23:36 pm

[Ron Whitaker] "So, even if a media file were corrupt, and I created a subclip referencing that media file, it shouldn't make a difference, should it?"

Vegas may try to verify a subclip on project open.

By that I mean
It opens the media file.
It seeks to the subclip start position to verify.
It seeks to the subclip end position to verify.

With this Vegas can tell you about some possible errors on project open. If Vegas simply accepted a subclip specification "as is", then you would not get an error until use.

Either way is valid. It is just a choice of implementation.

A verification process at project open could make project files with a ton of subclips take a very long time to open. Possibly making the application seem like it is stalled/hung. All this activity would have little CPU use (task manager) but heavy disk activity. If the user interface thread was the one doing the project open, then Windows can give the unresponsive message as well. Then again, Vegas could be simply hung.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Jun 18, 2015 at 7:55:10 pm

Hi,
when I hit this situation, at the suggestion of a helpful person in one of the Cow forums, I created a new clip containing only the content I wanted. So just Render out what you wanted from the clip. It adds complexity because you have broken the link to the original clip but then you can assemble your new smaller clips.
Would that help?
mark

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:01:06 pm

It is adding it to the Project Media list with your workflow, so even though you have not added it to the timeline, it is tracking the media for you. I will get a Vegas message when media I did not end up using on the timeline has been moved to another drive when I open up some of my older projects. That is the dialog that lets me search for the media. I would check the media folder to see if all the file sizes looked reasonable (no zero byte or unusually large size files potentially indicating a file corruption). The subclip may have an invalid reference to the original media file, something like pointing past the end of the file. I created a subclip in Vegas Pro 13 and it saves it in the veg project file. Do you use Sony Media Manager too? It may save it there, but I cannot check since I no longer run Sony Media Manager. It looks like it stores the timecode in and timecode out for the subclip in the veg file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]