FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correct lens distorsion ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothée Ferreol
Correct lens distorsion ?
on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:51:28 pm

Hey,

I often use a wide angle lens (16-35, f 2,8, II), is there a way I can correct the lens distorsion of that specific lens (just like in adobe lightroom for photos) but for videos ? Via a pluggin or extension that would have a preset that knows the exact amount of distorsion the lens creates.
If such thing does not exist within Vegas, is that possible with another software ?

If you want to check out my work =) : https://vimeo.com/timof

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Correct lens distorsion ?
on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:05:00 pm

VP has a Distort FX. You could try the controls on that? Post a sample and I'll have a go.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Timothée Ferreol
on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:27:57 pm

http://we.tl/KFtDlnWSMD there you have a clip

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:26:25 pm

Plugin - Lens correction in NewBlueFX Essentials 3
Another software - Defishr

Return to posts index

Timothée Ferreol
on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:35:41 pm

I know all of this, but I don't have a fish-eye lens, so the distorsion is hard to spot, I tried tweaking BCC Lens Correction, but I don't know exactly when is it good or it is getting worse.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 18, 2015 at 3:59:14 pm

Since you're familiar with Lightroom do this. Open your video in Photoshop. You will need V6 or later (not sure about V6, but CC works). Convert your video clip to a Smart Object. You can then apply a lens correction filter the same as in LR. Export video and you're done. The render is pretty slow, but it does work.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Timothée Ferreol
on Jun 18, 2015 at 4:15:41 pm

Thanks that works but that's some time consuming process... If there is anything faster, that would be nice.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 18, 2015 at 4:46:08 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Jun 18, 2015 at 4:46:43 pm

This might be a candidate for an overnight render, but at least it gives you the control you want. I don't know why video renders from Photoshop are so slow. During a test render, I discovered it was using only a single core with CPU usage pegged at 25%.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:43:03 pm

Wide angle lenses usually distort images by progressively tilting an image as the distance from the center of an image increases. It will, for example, show buildings in the center of the image as upright while buildings toward the left or right sides of the image tilt to the left or right. I could not see your video since I am unwilling to agree to someone's terms of service just to see a sample video, so I could not confirm if what I just described is what you are talking about.

However, it does look like Vegas has the ability to correct the distortion which I described. There is an Fx called Deform which will allow you to deform a video image in many ways. One kind of deformation pulls the top portion of the image together. That is what you need to do to correct the tilt which I described. Have a look. It may well do what you need to do.

Return to posts index

Timothée Ferreol
on Jun 24, 2015 at 12:42:42 pm

Sorry for long time not respondig ;)
What you just described is what I was talking about. Indeed, Vegas has a built-in Fx, but I never exactly know whether what I am doing is making the image worse or better, the distorsion is not as obvious as with a Gopro, that's why I wanted some automatic presets designed for specific lenses ;) (hell, we can dream ;)

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 24, 2015 at 3:45:33 pm

Just an idea, but have you tried filming some type of grid? Quite frankly, I don't know if this is even feasible, but if you could then you would know the exact nature of the distortion and more importantly, how well the corrections in Vegas or PS work. Just a thought.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Bruce Brent
on Jun 24, 2015 at 4:21:45 pm

At 22 seconds (columns on both sides) into your video is the perfect spot to use for adjusting your lens correction.

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Aug 7, 2016 at 7:13:59 am
Last Edited By Peter Holt on Aug 7, 2016 at 7:18:22 am

Picking up an old thread...

I am using MSP12 and Pro 13, win7-64 and have bought the $99 NewblueFX kit which has the Lens Correction FX.

The camera is a Sony FDR-1000V which when set with stabilisation=on has an angle of view of 120 degrees (170 otherwise - too wide and even more distorted). The waterproof housing reduces the angle by a few more degrees.

In short, NBFX does work but is not a mathematically correct correction; at best a rough approximation.

It does improve the situation but it is clear that the correction equation is not suited to this camera, or maybe any other camera.

I posted a summary with screenshots in this aviation forum
http://www.euroga.org/forums/website/6070-movie-lens-correction-software-fo...
(I hope the external link is acceptable but it took me a while to generate this)
and as you can see you can correct very well IF you also crop, and I don't mean just cropping the voids which are inevitably introduced when a barrel distorted image is corrected. You have to crop quite a bit more, to remove the heavily distorted bits in the corners.

Why NBFX doesn't offer profiles for common action cams (there aren't so many) I have no idea. They charge good money for their plug-ins.

I did email them and they said that incomplete correction is to be expected, basically.

The required crop has the effect of reducing the camera angle, obviously, which is sometimes OK but you are wasting material. You are also wasting pixels because if you start at say 1080P then by the time you are done you are replicating pixels; more so nearer the edges of the image so it ends up blurred. I have found that rendering to 768P is better. For a 1080P output one would need to record in 4K and while the current cameras (including this one) do 4K they are really severely limited in various ways.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]