FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to look for within RESMON

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Whitaker
What to look for within RESMON
on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:56:20 pm
Last Edited By Ron Whitaker on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:58:05 pm

I'm still having problems opening a project within Vegas. It just sits there at around 80%.

So, I decided to open RESMON to see if that would provide any clues. What exactly, should I be looking for when RESMON is open and Vegas is attempting to open a project?

One thing I did noticed within RESMON is that it indicates that Vegas's status is "not responding." Is that an indicator of anything?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: What to look for within RESMON
on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:28:43 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:53:32 pm

"not responding" means that the user interface thread in the application is waiting on some "object/handle" to become available. Windows detects that the application UI thread is not available to handle new messages and gives the not responding message to us the users.

The object/handle can be many things to technical to go into. You will likely see that Vegas is idle with no CPU use. Vegas might have some background, non user interface, threads doing something but who knows.

My guess is that something is wrong/corrupted with your file(s) and this causes Vegas to wait on some object. That object will likely never become available, due to something being amiss, but Vegas has a timeout value on the "wait". This timeout might be a long time. When the timeout expires Vegas notices that the wait failed, and then takes appropriate actions to handle or cleanup from the problem.

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:41:12 pm

So, at this point what are some solutions?

I have a file I was working on with 500+ subclips. Then suddenly I couldn't open it anymore. It gets stuck at around 80%.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 16, 2015 at 8:06:00 pm

If there is some bug/problem in Vegas then only SCS can address that.

The only thing we can do is work around any bugs and limitations the software has.

With 500+ subclips Vegas might just be taking a very long time to load. Those subclips might be something like is commonly called an N-squared operation. Double N, and the compute time goes up by a factor of 4. One can investigate that by trying 50,100,200 subclip projects and test and compare load times.

Assuming your VEG file is not corrupt; All I think of right now is to not do such a tremendously large number of subclips as it may be causing Vegas fits. Either exposing a bug or exposing a performance issue.

If the VEG file is corrupt then I am not sure there is anything you can do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]