FORUMS: list search recent posts

Now can no longer add tags to subclips

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Whitaker
Now can no longer add tags to subclips
on Jun 14, 2015 at 11:19:58 pm
Last Edited By Ron Whitaker on Jun 14, 2015 at 11:21:23 pm

OK. Now when I try to add a tag to a subclip, Vegas freezes.

This is getting ridiculous!

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: Now can no longer add tags to subclips
on Jun 15, 2015 at 9:14:50 am

How much ram is allocated for Vegas in the preferences/ video tab?

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:16:13 pm

Now that I reinstalled it says 200. I'll have to increase that, though I don't see what it has to do with applying a tag to a subclip.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:28:01 pm

Vegas has in past versions displayed a strange behaviour when given too much ram. Since it is strange that the subclips are no longer useable I thought I'd look there. Also the subclips are a virtual representation of the original clip. It was just a stab in the dark with the ram question. Having run into subclip problems myself, I tend to render the files if I need to apply an effect to a subclip.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:57:34 pm
Last Edited By Ron Whitaker on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:58:37 pm

At first it was 200, then I increased it to 3000. Is that too much?

I just tried to add a tag to a subclip and Vegas just froze.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:49:15 am

Yes I keep RAM at the default setting of 200 and up it only if I use Boris Red or Boris Graffiti which need the ram in order to work nicely. But I turn it back down when I close the Boris plug. I don't know about the other kids but I have found that ram above the default setting can really influence render time. I don't want to make any claims as to optimum settings for ram but I have dropped render time from 4 hours to one hour by using the default ram settings. So yes if you increase the ram for preview be sure to set it back to the default for render.

As for the crashing, I know just enough about coding to be dangerous. To me and my very limited knowledge it seems to be a permissions issue in Windows. Perhaps Windows closed before Vegas completed writing the Veg to disk and the Veg is still locked open. But as I said I really don't know. The only way I know of being reasonably certain that a subclip will be available is to render it out before I close Vegas.

I have read some discussions regarding the sfk files and again I could easily be mistaken but It is my impression they relate to the drawing of the audio wave on the timeline. However there have been claims that deleting them has led to positive results.

As for myself I stick to my proven method of rendering.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:36:02 pm

While this will not solve your problem, there is a way forward. Drop subclips. I don't use them, and consider them a remnant of an older technology which, by necessity, had other ways of doing things. That older technology's approach is simply not needed in an NLE. I simply drag an event to the time line, and begin working. If I need to cut out a section of the "event" (or clip), I simply split it in the middle of the section being discarded and drag the edges in so that the unwanted portion is eliminated on the time line. I then move the remaining portions of the clip to eliminate the gaps. If I later decide that I want to restore some of the "deleted" material, I expand the events so that the desired material can be seen once more.

The only reason I use the trimmer is to preview a file to see what is on it.

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:56:51 pm

Bob:

Perhaps that's the way forward for me! I actually liked the subclip method.

Can you expand on why subclips is based on older technology? Do editors just not use them much anymore?

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 16, 2015 at 11:10:52 pm

I was not around in the old days, but, from what I have heard here and there, I suspect trimmers have their source in tape based machines. A section of tape would be snipped out, and merged (taped together) with a bunch of other sections of tape. People who learned to edit on such machines learned to think of that procedure as the normal thing to do. NLE editors have obviated the need for such things, but old habits sometimes die hard.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:07:07 am
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:08:33 am

Ok, the only use for a sub clip in Vegas is when you need to ad an effect to the media event. IE the need to stabilize some handheld footage. To do this the effect is added to the media in the media project window. So what if your media is a one hour take but the need is for a few seconds. It is ineffective to process one hours worth of media. For such problems creating a subclip is a workflow offered by Vegas. I have found the subclip solution to be problematic so I render a selection to a new track and apply the effect to the new media.

If it is not the intent to add effects to a clip then the use of subclips is not necessary. As mentioned creating subclips is a holdover from a bygone age as is the trimmer window which is a holdover from film. There are many editors that can not cut a piece together on the timeline.

However if it is desired to someday work as an editor in a production facility then a good knowledge of workflows is imperative for your first position as assistant will be to catalogue and backup media. When these tasks are mastered, you may be asked to prepare media in the preview pane and mark them for the editor.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]